Sign in to follow this  
MP3

I am NOT going to buy one on principle. The fact that it doesn't exist and I haven't got the money has nothing to do with it.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

I too often find myself with Leica taste on a point and shoot budget.

This is not a rumor this is numerology :-)

Shall I go to see my future teller?

I am already on my local shop's waiting list

I don't normally care about rumours, but this is something I've been looking forward to for quite some time!

I just want the green stripe artifact to be fixed and higher ISO. Full frame and no filters would be super sweet as well

I don't normally care about rumours, but this is something I've been looking forward to for quite some time!

You said it! +1

Funny enough there is some validity to posting bs on these kinds of forums.

In recent times, it seems manufacturers are no longer making high end cameras for professionals, instead for regular consumers with a decent disposable income for purchasing.....strangely enough, their voices are heard (bitching and whining about missing features) on such forums as this, that within months, a new camera is released in accordance with the needs of this group of people, ignoring such needs required by professionals.

The best example would be Canon. Their best camera is an 'amatuer' camera, designed full of features requested on forums like DPreview, but not built to professional standards. Whereas at least with their main rival Nikon, they lead by example with their best camera being their top professional camera, the D3X.

Leica are following it seems, with the production of the 'simple' mode on the M8.2. Oscar Barnack would be disgusted. It's becoming all too easy for amatuers to be calling themselves photographers, and go out doing free work, that legitimate full time professionals should be getting paid for. This coming from a full time working photographer that is starting to see a devastating trend, one which many pros cannot afford in such an economy.

So, my point is that the BS is listened to on these forums, and many people here know it....and it has effects all down the line....and not all positive.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do people post speculative bs on this site?

By the amount of responses I'd say it is because deep down inside most forum members really love speculative BS as much as they love posts that tell Leica what and how they should do things. It's a "The Lady Doth Protest Too Much" kinda thing.

Speculations regarding coming camera models seems to stress many forum participants. Some of the reactions is far out of proportions.

I find these speculations informative and interesting. Most of us do, I am sure. I am absolutely sure that the market researchers of the camera producers find them just as interesting and useful.

Why do people post speculative bs on this site?

Take away the bs and this forum would make for quick reading...

Moderator you know where you can move this post...

Edited by sfokevin

I was tipped off by my local dealer who's staff were excited by the news that the M9 is coming along soon in September. When I asked some deeper questions about the source for the camera release and it's capabilities it quickly became obvious that their 'source' wasn't from the Leica rep or employee but actually was a well known LUF/RFF forum member 'in the know' ...

Self fulfilling rumours. My level of enthusiasm dwindled dramatically once I realized the source. Show me a SKU or give me a Leica source and I'll break out the credit card.

{snipped}

In recent times, it seems manufacturers are no longer making high end cameras for professionals, instead for regular consumers with a decent disposable income for purchasing.....strangely enough, their voices are heard (bitching and whining about missing features) on such forums as this, that within months, a new camera is released in accordance with the needs of this group of people, ignoring such needs required by professionals.

The best example would be Canon. Their best camera is an 'amatuer' camera, designed full of features requested on forums like DPreview, but not built to professional standards. Whereas at least with their main rival Nikon, they lead by example with their best camera being their top professional camera, the D3X.

Leica are following it seems, with the production of the 'simple' mode on the M8.2. Oscar Barnack would be disgusted. It's becoming all too easy for amatuers to be calling themselves photographers, and go out doing free work, that legitimate full time professionals should be getting paid for. {snipped}.

Sorry but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A Canon 1ds3 is as professional as a D3 or D3x. You don't have to use any of the extra features any of those cameras come with; I use my D3 in manual / spot mode.

Much more importantly, an amateur with a great camera doth not a great picture make

In fact, the pro cameras are the hardest to use, and require the most expertise to fulfill their potential.

In other words, the pro makes the picture, not the camera. Amateurs can have all the technology they like, and all the options, but a great photographer will outshoot them with a point and shoot.

PS-- I'm pretty sure Herr Barnack would be amazed by the photographic technology available today

But great images are made by people, not technology.

Funny enough there is some validity to posting bs on these kinds of forums.

Leica are following it seems, with the production of the 'simple' mode on the M8.2. Oscar Barnack would be disgusted. It's becoming all too easy for amatuers to be calling themselves photographers, and go out doing free work, that legitimate full time professionals should be getting paid for. This coming from a full time working photographer that is starting to see a devastating trend, one which many pros cannot afford in such an economy.

So, my point is that the BS is listened to on these forums, and many people here know it....and it has effects all down the line....and not all positive.

Sorry, but it is not BS that Canon builds a full line of cameras for 'professionals'. It could be argued that Canon is a leader within the professional market segment. We hope, however, that Leica's S2, will become a success within the same market segment.

NOW I understand why my well-informed dealer, when I wanted to order a long-to-wait-for UVIR filter, gave my, smiling, the advice not to order it and wait a little more...

The French mag Chasseur d'Images does not spread rumors generally. They state (CI # 316, page 9) that the M9 will be presented in the beginning of September with probably ('selon toute vraisemblance') a full frame sensor and will offer enhanced high iso potentialities ('potentiel élevé en haute sensibilité'). They say nothing about IR filtering though. The M9 won't be another red-nosed camera hopefully.

Sorry but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A Canon 1ds3 is as professional as a D3 or D3x. You don't have to use any of the extra features any of those cameras come with; I use my D3 in manual / spot mode.

Much more importantly, an amateur with a great camera doth not a great picture make

In fact, the pro cameras are the hardest to use, and require the most expertise to fulfill their potential.

In other words, the pro makes the picture, not the camera. Amateurs can have all the technology they like, and all the options, but a great photographer will outshoot them with a point and shoot.

PS-- I'm pretty sure Herr Barnack would be amazed by the photographic technology available today

But great images are made by people, not technology.

I am not arguing that a pro camera makes a photographer. I would be the first to argue that point, but pro cameras in amatuers hands does make it 'easier' to aquire good 'quality' images, not necesarily 'good photographs'.

With this in mind, there are many amatuers going out there and taking work away from professionals because they are friends/family to certain businesses who are willing to give them the work, because:

a. they have a pro camera, and

b. they will do it for free or next to nothing.

...and there is no doubt that digital photography has made it eaiser for amatuers to be better at taking pictures, and good on them for that. Thus manufacturers like Canon see that it is now the amatuer market for pro cameras that is a larger segment than the 'actual' pro segment, and their products should be tailored towards them....makes business sense right?

I just hope Leica don't go down this path just to stay afloat. I'd rather them go out of business than sell their sole and history just to compete with the likes of Canon and Nikon. Let their Panasonic side of the business compete at that level, and let Leica do what they've always done...to produce manual cameras for those who know how to appreciate a camera that brings out the photographer, and not a camera that thinks on behalf of the operator.

{snipped}

...and there is no doubt that digital photography has made it eaiser for amatuers to be better at taking pictures, and good on them for that. Thus manufacturers like Canon see that it is now the amatuer market for pro cameras that is a larger segment than the 'actual' pro segment, and their products should be tailored towards them....makes business sense right?

{snipped}

Well, I'm glad we agree on the person making the picture. As for digital, it lets people (pros and amateurs alike) practice more, and learn more quickly (if they want to--many don't!).

For what it's worth, I don't see very many people at events with honest-to-goodness pro equipment, Nikon, Leica, or any other kind.

Yes, there are people with the occasional 5d or D300, but it's rare I see 5d2s or d700s even let alone 1d3s or D3s. I've never seen an amateur packing a 1ds3 or D3x.

And I don't think the amateur market is all that big for pro cameras, actually.

We agree on what Leica should do in making great manual cameras, but innovation is also always a possibilty, and a proud tradition at Leica to boot, so I'm open to anything Leica does there as well.

And Leica can learn a thing or two from Canon and Nikon about pro-quality service. I think they should have service agreements for all their higher-end equipment (not just the S2) so I wouldn't have to wait for 5 months to get an M8 repaired

Well, I'm glad we agree on the person making the picture. As for digital, it lets people (pros and amateurs alike) practice more, and learn more quickly (if they want to--many don't!).

For what it's worth, I don't see very many people at events with honest-to-goodness pro equipment, Nikon, Leica, or any other kind.

Yes, there are people with the occasional 5d or D300, but it's rare I see 5d2s or d700s even let alone 1d3s or D3s. I've never seen an amateur packing a 1ds3 or D3x.

And I don't think the amateur market is all that big for pro cameras, actually.

We agree on what Leica should do in making great manual cameras, but innovation is also always a possibilty, and a proud tradition at Leica to boot, so I'm open to anything Leica does there as well.

And Leica can learn a thing or two from Canon and Nikon about pro-quality service. I think they should have service agreements for all their higher-end equipment (not just the S2) so I wouldn't have to wait for 5 months to get an M8 repaired

Totally agree about service. Happy for Leica to be innovative, but just hope they don't introduce all the program modes, as aperture priority on the M7 and M8 is enough. Leica's tradition is based around manual camera's designed for those who want to learn or are already efficient with exposure....but manual camera production may not be enough to keep the company going, so I think my hopes won't be fulfilled.....well we all want different things, and Leica will do what it needs to do to survive and satisfy their potential market.

Well - this is interesting. I've taken the rumors with a pinch of salt until now.

But I guess I better believe it! One thing that I can guarantee for sure is that Santa will not be generous to me: from October I will be starting five months of 'pappaledighet' - paternity leave. The Swedish state is more generous than most, but compared to my normal income, we'll be surviving on a tiny fraction of what I normally earn. So I'll be leaving the beta-testing to you and a few brave others! Maybe sometime in the summer my financial situation might be back to Leica levels...?

Congrats, Mani! There are different sort of riches and doing papa time exclusively without work in the way is just marvelous.

You might want to keep yourself even more busy by washing cloth diapers instead. That way you will not have as much time on the M9 or this forum.

And the months will pass quickly.

Take away the bs and this forum would make for quick reading...

Moderator you know where you can move this post...

Kevin as usual - right on point. May I suggest we simply change this whole speculation to a more surrealist vantage point and rename it simply 8 1/2?

I just want the green stripe artifact to be fixed and higher ISO. Full frame and no filters would be super sweet as well

Don't you want Mark to at least disassemble it first or Guy to make a comeback? The forensic capabilities of this forum is quite fantastic as you know.

No filters would mean selling off my M8s or let my daughter play with it

Maybe I will have two sets of lenses with and without UV/IR filters.

Full frame and higher ISO would be fantastic for me too.