MP3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going to call my dealer. I want to be in the waiting list. The M8 is really a nice and wonderful camera but needs the final touch. With three more years of experience, Leica is able to make a incredible camera. When I bought the M8 I started saving money for the M9. So I'm ready.:)

Amateurs with pro cameras? Sounds crazy. Yes... We are crazy but happy.:D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In recent times, it seems manufacturers are no longer making high end cameras for professionals, instead for regular consumers with a decent disposable income for purchasing.....strangely enough, their voices are heard (bitching and whining about missing features) on such forums as this, that within months, a new camera is released in accordance with the needs of this group of people, ignoring such needs required by professionals.

The best example would be Canon. Their best camera is an 'amatuer' camera, designed full of features requested on forums like DPreview, but not built to professional standards. Whereas at least with their main rival Nikon, they lead by example with their best camera being their top professional camera, the D3X.

Pro cameras have a longer life cycle than consumer and prosumer cameras. I think you cannot prove that they are no longer making high end cameras as yet. I think the 1DSmkIII is only about 3 years old at the moment.

The 5DII followed the 1DSmkIII but D3X does not yet have a D700X. It seems like Nikon is following Canon at least in the respect of releasing competing models. I'm a canon user myself and I sort of like nikon sniping at canon. The benefits hopefully translates to areas I find lacking in canon.

I'm going to call my dealer. I want to be in the waiting list. The M8 is really a nice and wonderful camera but needs the final touch. With three more years of experience, Leica is able to make a incredible camera. When I bought the M8 I started saving money for the M9. So I'm ready.:)

Amateurs with pro cameras? Sounds crazy. Yes... We are crazy but happy.:D

:) Not crazy, professional features reflect a certain need. If an amateur uses the features well for the sake of his photographs. Who are we to say its a pro feature.

We all benefit from better photographs and the appreciation of photography.

I don't know about this no-filters bit. I use IR/UV filters on my DMR too, which is a very well filtered camera, and I still get better colours. It is not for nothing that these filters were being sold as " digital" filters long before the M8 came out. Do not be surprised if a no-filter M9 performs well without filter and better with a filter.

It might make those people who have just bought a white M8 a bit sick. The arrival of an M9 will have a serious impact on S/H value of M8's.

Wilson

Undoubtly : the most difficult fact to accept, for us oldtime Leica lovers, is that digital has ended the legendary lasting value of Leica cameras; but it is so, period.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Undoubtly : the most difficult fact to accept, for us oldtime Leica lovers, is that digital has ended the legendary lasting value of Leica cameras; but it is so, period.

The digital part, the body, but the lenses keep a good value.

09.09.09? The generated rumors get focussed! No autofocus here :D .

As soon as the local dealer will have a M9 0.85 in stock, I'll get one. By then the product will be mature, in tune with my savings :)

I like the 24Lux a lot and hope, that the two new lenses from the last Photokina, (currently only in 24mm and in 50mm there are three lenses, not counting the 50rit :o ) will get a viewfinder-frame in a future M9 0.58 (or <0.58), again combined with the 35mm frame, as in the M8. This would make me buy a second M9 body sometime next year and trade in my two M8s.

The dice are cast by now, as far as an electronic release cord and an ISO/ELW thumb-wheel are concered :cool: . We'll see soon !

I don't know about this no-filters bit. I use IR/UV filters on my DMR too, which is a very well filtered camera, and I still get better colours. It is not for nothing that these filters were being sold as " digital" filters long before the M8 came out. Do not be surprised if a no-filter M9 performs well without filter and better with a filter.

Thanks. Better is what I hope for.

It might make those people who have just bought a white M8 a bit sick. The arrival of an M9 will have a serious impact on S/H value of M8's.

The only way of preventing the M8/8.2 from being superceded by a new and improved model would be to kill the M line altogether, or at least to stop any further development and keep manufacturing the M8.2. Take your pick.

Sorry but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A Canon 1ds3 is as professional as a D3 or D3x. You don't have to use any of the extra features any of those cameras come with; I use my D3 in manual / spot mode.

Much more importantly, an amateur with a great camera doth not a great picture make :) In fact, the pro cameras are the hardest to use, and require the most expertise to fulfill their potential.

In other words, the pro makes the picture, not the camera. Amateurs can have all the technology they like, and all the options, but a great photographer will outshoot them with a point and shoot.

PS-- I'm pretty sure Herr Barnack would be amazed by the photographic technology available today :) But great images are made by people, not technology.

I don't think amateur-bashing is productive. I am an amateur, enjoy what I do, and others (friends) like my work enough to hang them in their homes. Amateurs also make pictures --- not their cameras. One of my best was with my daughter's little P/S when I was in Brugges. (sp?). Now, having seen some of the work of the pros here, I am happy that I don't have to earn a living with photography, and are no doubt right that many others could make better images than I do by using any piece of equipment. But after 50 years at it, I do have a good sense of what I am doing and good equipment and great glass is something to be appreciated (even if I can't justify anything as a "return on investment" proposition unless the return is simply the satisfaction of capturing the image as you thought of it.)

Wilson

Such is life. The arrival of a new model is inevitable for nearly every technical consumer appliance. And almost inevitably it impacts the price of the previous model.

Guest joewehry

Jeepers, if Leica really does bring out an M9 on 09.09.09, are we going to have to suffer these same kinds of posts on October 10, November 11, and December 12 for the next three years?

:eek:

I am not a old timer to Leica, but I can say without hesitation that digital has not ended the lasting value of Leica for me as I will always want to use a film M over a digital one.

So it really is not so: period.

I agree the accelerated depreciation of digital Leicas is inevitable. I learnt that early on when I part exchanged my Digilux 4.3 for a Digilux 1. From my POV, it does not really matter. By the time the M9 I am going to ask if I can put on order on Monday is delivered, I should have taken about 12,000+ images with my M8. I paid £2,500 for it and I would hope to get around £1,000+ allowance against an M9, depending on what cash deal I get (I am given an old customer deal by my local Leica dealer). That means that the body (excluding upgrade) would have cost me 12.5p per image - not too bad. I may well just keep the M8 as an extra body. If I keep it, it would have cost 20p per image, falling as I keep using it.

The point of my original post is that I bet that a reasonable proportion of the white M8 buyers bought it speculatively. I think they will catch a cold. It is just not like the special edition film M's.

Wilson

Unfortunately, the UV-IR filters cause internal reflections and added flare when shot into light sources at various angles. I'd rather be without the need to use them, regardless of colours.