50 Cron (III) #11817 with Hood #12524 (35/2)

Leicawit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I just acquired a nice 50 Cron from 1970 (#11817) and I was wondering if the #12524 hood for the 35 Cron pre-ASPH would work on it. I have seen a few pics of this combo on the forums. Obviously, with the 50 having a narrower FOV, there's not much danger of vignetting but I was just curious if anyone's tried it and whether it offers more/less protection than the round vented metal hood.

Thanks,

Brad

Edited by Leicawit

Hello Brad,

The 12524 hood has special guides to fit into a depression on the 35mm Summicron. It is there so that the hood can always be properly oriented - it is square.

None of the 50mm Summicrons use this system - even if the hood fit physically, you would always have to make sure that is correctly oriented. If I were you, I would get the 12585 hood.

Best,

Jan

Hello Brad,

The 12524 hood has special guides to fit into a depression on the 35mm Summicron. It is there so that the hood can always be properly oriented - it is square.

None of the 50mm Summicrons use this system - even if the hood fit physically, you would always have to make sure that is correctly oriented. If I were you, I would get the 12585 hood.

Best,

Jan

Jan,

Thanks for the reply. I got a slightly bent 12585 with the lens but just happened across a picture* of one that had been fitted with a rectangular plastic hood looking to be a 12524 and I was surprised and curious if it would work. Since I have a 35 Cron and the 12524 hood already and I like its aesthetics, I thought it might be nice to use on the 50 if I could. I guess the only real way to know is to take some shots with it. It fits perfectly and quite snugly and takes some effort to get it to move out of position so that's good.

*http://kilted1.smugmug.com/photos/575991112_RZeTC-XL.jpg

Brad,

I just tried the 12524 on my 50mm Summicron and as you found out, it fits. Since it was designed for the 35mm Summicron's field of view, there is no danger of vignetting. The only issue you will have is to keep the hood straight - the simplest is to always make sure that the little white line is centered against the correct f-stop.

Personally, I grew up with the 12585 so, I am a little biased. Metal always beats plastic..... I would use a dented one in place of the 12524, but that is me.... As a matter of fact, my 12585 is dented like hell and it does add a little character to the new(ish) looking M8.

Best,

Jan