Saw a really nice IIIf with red dial today fitted with a 50mm f2Summitar

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was actually in my local retailer today buying a spot meter and upgrading my tripod. In the glass counter I spied a nearly mint IIIf red dial with an equally super condition 50mm f2 Summitar which the proprietor informed me that he was looking for somewhere in the region of £475.00 for body and lens. It seemed a very good price but my knowledge of screw Leicas is limited

Wondered about making the dealer an offer for the 50mm F2 Summitar it seemed to be in good condition given it's age. Has anyone experience of this lens? I have a 50mm Summicron late model but I am assuming the Summitar will produce an earlier image not dissimilar to an Elmar?. I thought I might offer £150.00 given he wants £475.00 for the IIIf and Summitar?

Kenneth,

The Elmar is a much better lens IMO albeit slower. The Summitar is quite soft wide open and prone to flare in my experience. Condition is key due to the 'soft' glass which is easily marked through over cleaning.

Another option would be a Summar, one of my favourites, but again you must get a good one.

Kenneth,

The Elmar is a much better lens IMO albeit slower. The Summitar is quite soft wide open and prone to flare in my experience. Condition is key due to the 'soft' glass which is easily marked through over cleaning.

Another option would be a Summar, one of my favourites, but again you must get a good one.

That's all I needed to hear thank you James. Wallet securely returned to pocket

That's all I needed to hear thank you James. Wallet securely returned to pocket

Kenneth, Just to clarify, I'm not saying its a bad lens - people choose it these days for exactly those qualities I've described, it does give that vintage look if that's what you're after. I don't use mine very often because I just prefer the compact Elmar (which is sharp even wide open at 3.5) or the look from the Summar.