Sign in to follow this  
jrc

Let's have it out

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Salgado uses pentax film SLRs nowadays

Salgado is now shooting digital. Hasselblad H3.

Leica should send him an S2.

sdai, no, on the basis of having lived in Japan and having had a lot of experience with Japanese companies I can say that your statement on the differences does not at all reflect reality.

But, this is "the" Japan in a Westerner's eyes ... I'm saying this because legally speaking I'm a Japanese (mainly because I still hold a valid Japanese passport) and can include 2 gozilla Japanese companies in my resume.

I was not saying that Japanese engineers can not or will not go extreme but generally speaking, extreme handling of a project/product has never been part of their corporate culture.

Thom Hogan probably knows a lot about Nikon cameras but I don't think he has a clue to what's going on inside Nikon.

Edited by sdai

The M8 files are very RAW, as in very unprocessed. If you want good high ISO performance from the M8 you need to clean them up in post. Straight out of the camera they can look like crap.

Personally I like the fact that Leica allows the user to decide just how much detail they want to throw away.

Also keep in mind that the M8 sensor is a few years old. The 5D-2 is less than 6 months old.

From a different thread we have the info that we are dealing with only a few photons per pixel (about 10 or so), that is independent of the sensor and Leica/Kodak quantum efficiency is not vastly different than anyone else's.

The difference is mainly in PP or 'on-chip' noise reduction.

Take a picture of textile, or foliage, or skin, the difference in detail/texture is phenomenal even if the noise 'looks' a lot worse with the M8 the info is still there.

Raffaele, your last post contained a lot of information and opinion that is not relevant to my original criticism of your original comment. You stated that the M8 is a "bad camera". Now it may not suit your needs or desires and I accept that. Only you can judge that. But a bad camera it is not. Not suiting you can only be a comment on selecting the correct tool for the job. Clearly the M8 is not a tool for you. Fine. As it happens I currently use M8's professionally and very successfully. It does have some 'quirks', but so have all the other cameras I have used over the past 40+ years. I choose the M8 because it is the best tool for my work. I could have any other camera, but don't. P{rior to the relaese of the M8 I used M6's & M7's with film. I still maintain an extensive Hasselblad kit.

In view of my experience I can and background I can categorically state the M8 is not a bad camera. This has no bearing on it's suitability to your purposes or anyone elses's. That remains an entirely different question which I suggest you may have confused. The fact that you have chosen to prefer the Canon 5d mk11 is fine. At least you know what suits you and that is paramount.

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Re: Let's have it out

bad may mean unfavourable............

Erl,i ll be short: i only shoot Leica...but for digital i chose Canon

The point is not if the camera suits my need, i m here as eveerbody because i m a pure Leica fan...

The point is how the camera performs.. And in my opinion it performs badly.

Among 35 film cameras , Leica is the top for me

among the 35 digital camers, Leica is far below other cameras.

Raffaele, your recent explanation makes a lot more sense. That the M8 is not for you, I accept. My only disageement was that 'it is a bad camera.' I think we understand each others POV now.

yes we did earl..

Unless Salgado switched since April, he is using a Canon, see my blog entry:

An Evening with Sebastião Salgado Richard Man – Photography and Calligraphy

And the top is Larry Burrow's Leica. Sad he dies so young.

// richard

BTW richard didn't you ask him about using Lead Bags for taking films under airport's x-ray?

i usually do so and never had problems...

just out of couriosity