M8 Infra Red Issue

Guest BigSplash

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

> The lens did not have a UV IR filter because I so far have not loacted a 58mm UV IR filter..if anyone knows where I can get this device I'd appreciate.

Thanks for any help

I fitted my 30 years old Nocti with a Heliopan "ES 58 Digital UV/IR" filter, works like a charm.

Since you also reside in France: I ordered it through Mac-Mahon photo video in Paris.

Hope you will find one...

There's something fishy about this thread.

Can you fix the purple haze on the sausages as well?

The purple haze on the sausage is a snap to fix in Photoshop (I suppose I should have said "snapper" in keeping with the fishy thread ;))

Anyway, here's the 10 second fix in Photoshop. No skin tones, no black fabric--so no trouble making fire look like fire again!

• first a hue / saturation layer. Pick the magenta and make it light and orangey. That will make the sausage nice and edible-looking again, too :)
  • next a curves layer over the coals. Add red and yellow and hey presto: burning charcoal!

If you want, you could clone more charcoal into the white (burnt out highlights) part, but I did say it was a 10 second fix...

You guys made me too hungry with this thread, I must say!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest BigSplash
I fitted my 30 years old Nocti with a Heliopan "ES 58 Digital UV/IR" filter, works like a charm.

Since you also reside in France: I ordered it through Mac-Mahon photo video in Paris.

Hope you will find one...

Thanks for this .....

I'll check it out, although I find for this type of thing it is invariably cheaper to buy it in UK .The VAT is less for a start and there seems to be a more aggressive pricing approach by retailers. Paris is great for secondhand Leica bit of course on that wonderful road near the Bastille.

Anyhow thank you very much for the information.

Guest BigSplash
The purple haze on the sausage is a snap to fix in Photoshop (I suppose I should have said "snapper" in keeping with the fishy thread ;))

Anyway, here's the 10 second fix in Photoshop. No skin tones, no black fabric--so no trouble making fire look like fire again!

• first a hue / saturation layer. Pick the magenta and make it light and orangey. That will make the sausage nice and edible-looking again, too :)
  • next a curves layer over the coals. Add red and yellow and hey presto: burning charcoal!

If you want, you could clone more charcoal into the white (burnt out highlights) part, but I did say it was a 10 second fix...

You guys made me too hungry with this thread, I must say!

[ATTACH]153043[/ATTACH]

My gosh ...pretty clever. I guess the challenge is now to fit an ice cream next to the sausages!

Guest BigSplash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First opportunity this weekend to try out the new Noctilux and it certainly floods the sensor with IR - lots of washed out greens. Filter essential...

This has had me thinking this weekend. I have an old 21mm (f3.8) wihtout a UVIR filter. ..and I have had generally had good results (helmets photo in a separate thread). The exception seems to be for shots of gardens with lots of green....these look washed out. Is that likely to be an IR issue again?

Guest BigSplash
This has had me thinking this weekend. I have an old 21mm (f3.8) wihtout a UVIR filter. ..and I have had generally had good results (helmets photo in a separate thread). The exception seems to be for shots of gardens with lots of green....these look washed out. Is that likely to be an IR issue again?

Now that I have ordered my 58mm for the Noctilux and have most of my other lenses with nice new UVIR filters I have been looking at those lenses that do not have a Filter....21mm (f3.8) and 90mm (f2) old type ..both of these have the E48 filter and nice tight fitting lens hoods....The E48 UVIR does not seem to exist at B&W, Leica, Hoya etc but 49mm does however I so far cannot find a step up ring ....does anyone have a suggestion on how to address?

Finally it beggars belief the more I look at this that the M8 has not been upgraded over the last two years to fit a UVIR filter glass to cover the sensor...

That way one could avoid the hassle and expense of buying new filters for each lens, unless this is a nice little earner for Leica, although they say it is costing them money (2Million €uros, if I remember correctly) to supply two free filters per new M8 camera.

lots of green....these look washed out. Is that likely to be an IR issue again?

I've had washed-out greens where IR was not an issue at all. It turns out that leaves (including grass) are glossy and tend to reflect bright parts of the sky. Those lush greens you often observe in photographs are often due to polarisation filters which eliminate the reflected light.

Next, I expect recipes involving leaves to turn up in this thread. Fish wrapped in leaves, perhaps?

Finally it beggars belief the more I look at this that the M8 has not been upgraded over the last two years to fit a UVIR filter glass to cover the sensor...

That way one could avoid the hassle and expense of buying new filters for each lens, unless this is a nice little earner for Leica, although they say it is costing them money (2Million €uros, if I remember correctly) to supply two free filters per new M8 camera.

This has been discussed a hundred times on the forum, Frank.

They could have put a IR filter over the sensor, but the image quality would suffer so much that they did not want to accept that hit.

That's not to say that technology hasn't improved since, and the next generation digital M may have addressed this issue, but I doubt it.

The fact that they do not have a ready supply of IR filters in all diameters to cover all M lenses is, IMO, not acceptable, though, given that this is the only option for M8 users.

Guest BigSplash
This has been discussed a hundred times on the forum, Frank.

They could have put a IR filter over the sensor, but the image quality would suffer so much that they did not want to accept that hit.

That's not to say that technology hasn't improved since, and the next generation digital M may have addressed this issue, but I doubt it.

The fact that they do not have a ready supply of IR filters in all diameters to cover all M lenses is, IMO, not acceptable, though, given that this is the only option for M8 users.

Andy ...this must be one of the few times that you have critiqued Leica, and I was there!

> I can only agree with your comment

> I simply do not understand why they do not have a range of filters for old & new M lenses....the filters have in the past been made by B&W or Zeiss in any case as I understand it and Leica just put their name on it....they probably still are doing this and are making money in the process I would believe at the prices filters are sold at. .

I've been using the 21mm Elmarit on the M8 the last couple of weeks and haven't got around to ordering a filter for it yet, but I'm quite liking the color-rendering and don't really see the need for the filter, so far.

The Noctilux, on the other hand, was vastly improved by the addition of the filter, so it appears that different lenses behave very differently in their rendition of the IR spectrum.

Brett here in the S.France they think of English cuisine as HP sauce, greasy chips, and mushy peas......I think your BBQ looks delicious! Lovely photo.

What lens did you use and what aperture ...Thanks!

A Country that you can't buy smoky bacon in, knows nothing about food!!

Kevin.

Andy ...this must be one of the few times that you have critiqued Leica, and I was there!

> I can only agree with your comment

> I simply do not understand why they do not have a range of filters for old & new M lenses....the filters have in the past been made by B&W or Zeiss in any case as I understand it and Leica just put their name on it....they probably still are doing this and are making money in the process I would believe at the prices filters are sold at. .

The filters are being made in Japan, Leica claims not by Hoya (?).

I do not see the lack of filter sizes as a handicap. Leica sells filters for all their current lenses, and all other sizes, no matter how obscure, are being catered for by B&W and Heliopan. It would be madness for Leica to attempt to offer for instance 41 mm or 36 mm filters, and sell only a handful of them, of only one filter type, whilst the big firms ( well, not that big) sell all kinds of glass and can afford to stock or make the filter mounts, as they sell all kinds of filter glasses for all brands and types of lenses using those mounts.

It would be madness for Leica to attempt to offer for instance 41 mm or 36 mm filters, and sell only a handful of them, of only one filter type, whilst the big firms ( well, not that big) sell all kinds of glass and can afford to stock or make the filter mounts, as they sell all kinds of filter glasses for all brands and types of lenses using those mounts.

Hmmm - even though I've gone out and bought a couple of filters myself in sizes that Leica do not supply for free (and haven't unduly moaned about this), I do think it's disappointing that the company doesn't support its older lenses, at all.

It's noteworthy that the first time a customer sees the list of supported filter sizes is after registering the purchase of a brand new M8. This was when I saw my 58mm Noctilux thread was not available, for instance. By then the promise of free filters to cure the IR problem rings rather empty.

Anyway, I decided to just get on and order the ones I needed (including the massive filter for the Canon 0,95 that i never expected to be available free from Leica) straight from Robert White.

But some may feel the extra expense for relatively recent (but discontinued) Leica lenses is rather unfair, and should at the very least be explicitly stated on their website.

Guest BigSplash
The filters are being made in Japan, Leica claims not by Hoya (?).

I do not see the lack of filter sizes as a handicap. Leica sells filters for all their current lenses, and all other sizes, no matter how obscure, are being catered for by B&W and Heliopan. It would be madness for Leica to attempt to offer for instance 41 mm or 36 mm filters, and sell only a handful of them, of only one filter type, whilst the big firms ( well, not that big) sell all kinds of glass and can afford to stock or make the filter mounts, as they sell all kinds of filter glasses for all brands and types of lenses using those mounts.

OK so my 21mm (f3.4) and my 90m (f2) BOTH have the need for a 48mm UVIR filter.........so far noone seems to have this item...Any ideas?

I also wonder why Leica would not buy in from their Japanese supplier and badge it. They would then be looking after their clients needs, solving a problem with the M8, and could make some extra profit.

Frank

I gave you a link to the popflash website that stocked the 58mm UV/IRfilter

If you had actually bothered to do a search there, you will find that they ALSO sell 48 diameter UV/IR filters. Along with most other filter sizes. In black AND silver (mostly)

B+W 48MM UV/IR CUT FILTER FOR DIGITAL BLACK NEW!

This is the very last time that I am going to do your searching for you, I'm afraid. Sorry, but sometimes one just has to help oneself and not try the patience of others.