ROM Lenses on DMR

robsteve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a question in the digital forum whether ROM lenses did anything for image quality or did more than just give the DMR focal length in the Exif and zooming a flash head, I decided to test for myself. I am posting it here so it doesn't get lost in all the noise over the M8 in the digital forum.

I decided to test it for myself. I now stand corrected, the ROM does influence image quality on the DMR. I taped over the ROM contacts on my 19mm and mounted it to the DMR. I then pushed aside some dusty slides on my light table and shot the light table with the camera on manual and f2.8. I then took the tape off the rom contacts, gave them a quick clean with a cloth in case there was any tape residue and shot the light table again, same aperture, same shutter speed. Between mounting and und remounting the lens, I shut off the camera to ensure it read the ROM of the lens on boot up.

Can you guess which picture had the ROM contacts. The dust and crap in the picture is on the light table, not the lens. I also shot it too close for any of this stuff on the light table to be in focus.

Both of the DNG files were converted in lightroom and the WB dropper was used to neutralize the color. The vignetting difference was also noticable on the DMR review screen, so the in camera software must be dealing with the image corrections. I was not on a tripod, so the areas of the light table are different and the table also does not have perfectly even illumination, so just look for the corner vignetting, not differences elsewhere in the frame.

L1180098.jpg

L1180099.jpg

Well, as Robert is so enthusiastic, I just paste my finding from the Leica agent here for your reference:

I just contacted the Leica local sole agent and asked about the EXIF on the DMR with the ROM lens.

The reply from the sole agent was:

"as informed by the Solms factory, there are ROM lenses at some focal length may not have the focal length information shown in the EXIF. These include the R 180mm F2.8 APO. Without such focal length information the picture quality will not be affected and there is no need to send the lens or the DMR back to the factory for reparing"

Can the above statement be verified by Leica itself?

Richard:

I am can't quite figure out what you are asking. Is it in regards to the ROM providing image corrections or that the 180mm APO was not showing the focal lenght in the exif?

I had a 180mm f2.8 APO ROM last year and tomorrow I can take a look to see if the focal lenght is in the exif of the files I shot with it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Richard:

I am can't quite figure out what you are asking. Is it in regards to the ROM providing image corrections or that the 180mm APO was not showing the focal lenght in the exif?

I had a 180mm f2.8 APO ROM last year and tomorrow I can take a look to see if the focal lenght is in the exif of the files I shot with it.

Robert,

I am on the second question as you listed above. My 180mm F2.8 APO ROM (Latest version with internal focusing) cannot show the focal length information on the EXIF of the DMR. And the Leica agent here in Hong Kong told me that the factory informs there may be some ROM lenses cannot have the focal length information recorded on the EXIF, including the 180mm F2.8 APO. And this will not affect the picture quality and have no need to send either the lens or the DMR back to the factory for calibration.

That would be great if you can try your 180mm on the DMR. Is your 180mm the same version as mine?

The ideal with the ROM contacs should be that the camera can read the F-stop more priceise, as far as I know. The lens mm is another feature.

When I look in the advanced exif info of the two pictures, there's some details that might explain the difference. But I really don't know. Maybe somebody else does.

Richard:

Here is a shot I made last December using Manolo's 180mm APO-Elmarit ROM. If you look at the exif, it has all the lens' info in it.

You either have problems with your ROM contacts or it may be the way you are changing lenses. I found that sometimes you can change lenses on the DMR and the ROM info is not read. I don't know the combination of things you have to do to cause this, but any time I want to ensure the ROM info is in the exif, I turn off the camera prior to changing lenses.

L1090099.jpg

Unfortunately my 180mm F2.8 APO ROM still shows nothing in the EXIF when shooting with the DMR.

I already attached the lens before switching on the DMR, and also clean the contacts.

In the EXIF there is no information about the focal length as well as the maximum aperture valve. Sigh.......

Unfortunately my 180mm F2.8 APO ROM still shows nothing in the EXIF when shooting with the DMR.

I already attached the lens before switching on the DMR, and also clean the contacts.

In the EXIF there is no information about the focal length as well as the maximum aperture valve. Sigh.......

Does the focal lenth show on the DMR info screen when shooting with this lens? If it is here but not there when you open the file on a computer, it may be the program you are using to process your files.

Do any of your ROM lenses show focal lenth in the exif?

Not in the DMR screen as well. I have all the information such as aperture value, shuttering time, exposure compensation etc. shown in the DMR screen but nothing about the focal length. Neither when open the file in the computer.

Since I only have one ROM lens (it is the 180mm F2.8 APO), all the other lenses are 3-cam, so I cannot test by other lenses.

I am thinking to bring the DMR and the lens to the agent for checking but in the phone the representative there just told me the factory informs this lens may not have the information shown on the EXIF. And this will not affect the picture quality.

I am thinking to bring the DMR and the lens to the agent for checking but in the phone the representative there just told me the factory informs this lens may not have the information shown on the EXIF. And this will not affect the picture quality.

I think your representative may have misunderstood your question. He may be saying that since the lens does not vignette, the ROM does not introduce any image correction on the DMR. Or it could be a R8 versus R9 difference.

Was your lens an original ROM lens or Rommed later?

Does the flash head zoom to its outer position when this lens is mounted? If it does, there may have been different versions of ROM fitted to this lens and the one you have is not compatible to the DMR.

Are you using a R8 or a R9? I am shooting on a R9.

Did you clean the contacts on the camera side of the ROM connection?

I clearly explained my query to him. I don't think he misunderstood.

My lens is an original ROM. I am using it on a R8 with DMR.

Yes I did clean both sides of the contact on the R8 and the lens as well.

In fact I just formally sent another query to the Leica sole agent here and stated my problem again. Hope that there can be a solid answer from them.

Might be an R8 versus R9 problem. Perhaps these ROM codings were programmed into the camera software and the R8 pre-dates the 180mm APO-Elmarit.

That is the question you may need to ask. Does the R8 versus R9 make a difference with this lens.

Does your dealer have a DMR demo with a R9 mounted that you can try your lens with?