Pro vs. consumer Kodachrome?

Finnkare

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the impression that there is two kinds of Kodachrome 64: one whose manufacturing process is better controlled and who has a non-compensated emulsion for standing around in the (room temperature) shop shelves and another one which is less controlled and has a compensated emulsion.

Is this true and which one should I get in order to forever cherish the unique, classic film (and to win the challenge ;)?

The Pro version was colour balanced to be taken out of a fridge and shot as is.

The consumer version is not expected to be refrigerated, so the colour balance is designed to be right at some point in the shelf life......probably the middle of the shelf life.

So while the films are the same, they are colour balanced to age differently.

You cannot color balance a film, it is what it is when it is produced, all you can do is measure the color balance and include the color filtration need for a particular film lot as information with the film.

The Pro version comes with a sheet stating what filtration to apply, the consumer version does not.

I have used both and for all but the most demanding application there is no difference.

As stated the Pro version is supposed to be temp controlled but in reality in the last years both were kept temp controlled by most sellers.

I suspect that no matter which version you try to purchase, you will have a difficult time because now that its officially over, everyone wants to shoot Kodachrome. The prices are inflated by the scalpers and I would suggest Fuji.

Don't get me wrong as i love K and have about 80 rolls left but after 50 years of using the stuff its time to move on for both Kodak and myself. -Dick

Before the advent of Pro Kodachrome, the pros used to buy large amounts and start the ageing process. A roll would be picked at certain time intervals, exposed, and processed. When the colors were right, the batch was refrigerated/frozen thus holding it at that point.

Amateur Kodachrome was always good for me, but ten years ago I started to see in others work very green Kodachrome if it was fresh, turning to magenta later if it left unexposed/unprocessed. The last Koda I used was Kodachrome 25, but that was 15 or more years back. Beautiful film, I just could not get a nice print from it and went to color neg.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The KODACHROME pro was at the end of it´s maturing-process and was supposed to be used within a short period after it was bought.

The "normal" KODACHROME could be stored without precaution (e.g. cooling) for a longer period.

Aside from this difference in storing the film were identical.

Strictly a matter of when it was shipped. Amatuer was shipped 'green' and expected to sit on a shelf somewhere for at least 6-12 months before being sold. Pro was shipped 'ripe' (meaing it had aged under controlled conditions at Kodak). As well Pro was always stored in batches...making it possible to order up to 1000 rolls all from the same batch number. Not so with amatuer.