Elmar Collapsbile Filter Question

mongrelnomad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I bought a UVa filter (E39) for my Elmar Collapsible 50/2.8 (latest version), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to screw it in. The built-in (non removable) metal lense-shade doesn't have any screw-tracks (are they called pitch?)

Any idea what to do? (Especially as I want to use the lense on my M8 and will need to screw in a UV/IR filter)...

Julian,

Sometimes applying too much pressure on the hood when you are removing it may put stress on the threads, making it even more difficult to remove.

Try applying even pressure with your thumb an forefinger around the perimeter of the hood and than try unscrewing. If that does not work, I have used a sheet of old bicycle rubber tubing, wrapped around the hood – this gives you an even and strong grip.

Some have had success with pressing the front of the hood against a rubber heel of a shoe and thus removing the stuck item. As you can see from the above suggestions, the trick is to apply even pressure around the circumference of the hood, so that you do not bend the threads.

Incidentally - the lens or the lens hood have not been dropped I hope?

Best,

Jan

Before giving advice on removal, I might suggest posting a picture of the lens in question here. That will ensure we're all talking about the same item. A multi-shot sequence would allow for an estimation of any deformity or damage, kind of like our space shuttle goes through after every launch.

Another approach would be to use one of those rubber jar lid grippers.

Oh, and do you have a Leica dealer close by? You could ask them to remove it, and if it breaks, you're in the right spot for sending it in for repair. My guess, it will come off OK.

Eric

Yup. And I appear to have 'rotated' it a bit too much :confused::mad::eek:

(It is a virtually new lense: bought from Leica Ginza last year and hardly used till last month)

Julian,

Have you tried wrapping your left hand's thumb and forefinger around the diaphragm ring (to hold the lens unit) and your right hand's thumb and forefinger around the hood (to remove the hood)? Again - you have to try applying even pressure around the circumference of the hood while trying to unscrew, so that you don't warp the threads. If that happens, the lens and hood threads 'bite' together and it becomes just about impossible to take them apart.

When you say that you "rotated' it a bit too much" what exactly did you over-rotate and what seems to be the problem now (other than the stuck shade...)?

Best,

Jan

Turn the lens upside down, hood down. Place a piece of rubber, back side of a mouse pad may work, on a flat surface. Press the hood on the rubber pad and turn the lens. It is easier to extend and lock the lens then turn just the front part of it or collapse it all the way without rear lens cap and turn the part that extends past the mount.

Problem is when you grip the hood with 2 or 3 fingers and apply pressure while trying to turn it you deform the hood making it out of round and locking the threads together.

Having threads at the front of the hood for anything would be counter productive.