M8 sighting on Huang Shan (The Yellow Mountain)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought you might like to know that the good news has reached senior officials in the People's Republic of China. I'm here for a mix of R&R + work. I was admiring the view yesterday when I found myself surrounded by press corps, security guys and minders. I stood aside and a VIP stepped forward carrying an M8, WATE and Frankenfinder... He proceeded to then be photographed taking photographs. I got in a couple of shots before the minders asked me to stop - but then showed the VIP my camera (with my travelling light Summicron 35 mk 1V attached) and it was suddenly all smiles. His English and my Mandarin weren't up to a long conversation, but he was pleased to see a fellow Leica user, interested in the 35, and we parted on the best of terms!

I never got his name or position - maybe someone on the list will recognise him? Notice the missing top to his ear...

I've also done a close crop of one shot so that you can see he was using the IR filter on the WATE...

Off to Guangzhou now ... I'll post some other images to the photo section on return.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Your story reminds me of an encounter I had in Moab, Utah (Park Avenue) last month. I was shooting my M8 with WATE and Frankenfinder when another gentleman came up to me shooting the same setup (including Milich filter adapter). As it turned out, he is a professional photographer from South Korea. He comes to the US periodically to photograph the national parks. He is a nice guy and it was a pleasure meet and share the beautiful scenery with him.

Mark

I noted in your closeup that he doesn't have he blackout ring attached in the E67 adapter. I hope he doesn't get any flares from light coming in from behind. If he is important in China, he should have the best Leica has to offer - it's a big market.

Scenery like you show are often a once in a lifetime trip. I'm sure we'd all love to see more of the mountain if you wish to share.

Eric

I would imagine spotting a rich bloke shooting a Leica at a tourist spot in China is like spotting a child eating candy floss at a funfair.

Who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning then? :(

I would imagine spotting a rich bloke shooting a Leica at a tourist spot in China is like spotting a child eating candy floss at a funfair.

Do they even have funfairs in China, let alone candy floss? Sounds like quite a challenge to me ... :rolleyes:

Pete.

Thanks for interest - sorry we don't have a name.

re the gentleman - I think that was interesting here is that he wasn't a business man but must have been some kind of high official (police / minders etc). China has changed a lot.

re Candy Floss - this is here aplenty. The images from the trip are part of a series which I'm calling "Creating a leisure society", I worked in China 25 years ago and it's good to see the difference. Sure, there are some bad news stories, but a lot of good things have happened for many people too. Important that doesn't get forgotten.

In Guangzhou today - picking up my replacement charger from Leica shortly. Then it's Suzhou and then back to Shanghai and home.

I'll post a link to some images when I'm back in Europe and have had a chance to edit.

Best