What is this?

paisatge

In this situation it is not advisable to remove the filter. If you change the camera angle a few degrees chances are it will not be in the next shot. You were unlucky. In just about any other location you could have cloned it out.

It's a perennial problem with the M8 with IR cut filter attached. Because the Noctilux is sooo good at against the light and including light sources, I am constantly tempted to shoot such images. The down side is sometimes what has happened to you. The only cure is to remove the filter, or don't include light sources in your image. Tough decision. Of course, removing the filter and convertion the RAW file to B&W will avoid both the reflection and the colour cast. :D

You could eventually try to shoot DNG without filters on, and then apply Jamie's profile with Capture One in PP.

When I have to face such "bizarre" against the light scenes, I usually go that way.

Hope this help

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/9637-new-m8-profiles-c1-instructions.html

You could eventually try to shoot DNG without filters on, and then apply Jamie's profile with Capture One in PP.

When I have to face such "bizarre" against the light scenes, I usually go that way.

Hope this help

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/9637-new-m8-profiles-c1-instructions.html

wow! thanks for the pointer. will give it a try on my next indoor shoot

Were you using a silver, or a black filter? Sometimes a silver filter mount can be more prone to inducing reflections than a black one.

I use black filters and still have this problem with the Noctilux. The reflection is from light that bounces from the front of the lens to the filter and back.

Thanks for the reply.

This is bad! Makes me want my Epson back

Trust me! That will NOT solve all your problems. I Also have an RD-1 and coupled with the Noctilux with IR filter the same problem exists. It has nothing to do with the camera. It is a lens/filter problem.

Just to fully explain, the RD-1 DOES have an IR problem, but not as much as the M8. It was not until the M8 "magenta" problem that I realized my 'processing' problem with RD-1 files was IR related. Not my foor handling of files. If you really want an RD-1, mine is gathering dust, but I recommend you stick with the M8 as it is a far superior camera.

Trust me! That will NOT solve all your problems. I Also have an RD-1 and coupled with the Noctilux with IR filter the same problem exists. It has nothing to do with the camera. It is a lens/filter problem.

Just to fully explain, the RD-1 DOES have an IR problem, but not as much as the M8. It was not until the M8 "magenta" problem that I realized my 'processing' problem with RD-1 files was IR related. Not my foor handling of files. If you really want an RD-1, mine is gathering dust, but I recommend you stick with the M8 as it is a far superior camera.

Magneta with the Epson? That's news to me. :eek:

Thanks for pointing that out and yes, I'll stick with the M8 :cool:

Sean Reid pointed this out on his site over two years ago. There are many digital cameras with an IR problem. Notably some Nikons, but for instance even my DMR, which is actually one of the better-filtered cameras, profits from the use of an IR/UV filter. It is not for nothing that Heliopan sold them as "digital" filters long before the M8 came on the market.