Anyone have a D3 and Pictures Yet?

jbstitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

B&H had the Digilux 3 listed as "In Stock" and then "Out of Stock" so someone must have one that could post some impressions and pictures. My buying decision is waiting until I can hold one, look through that viewfinder, switch the modes, and shoot a few shots but my dealer is obviously down on the list because he is yet to see one. Please, I am about to go nuts for news and reviews of this camera.

John Stitt

John, Can I draw your attention to this thread - http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8942-d3-uk-arrival.html which has some samples and a promise of more in a day or so.

I posted a couple of files for download here - http://idisk.mac.com/spylaw4-Public. taken on a dealer demo day.

Also there are images here - http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8550-any-news-sample-pic-digilux-3-a.html

And there are some images from the L-1 which are probably not a million miles away in style here - Panasonic DMC-L1 samples album | Fboyd | Fotki.com

I dare say we'll be getting some more images very soon - please!!

I have posted photos in other threads, but let me post some here. This is from an Panasonic DMC-L1 using the Olypus 7-14mm lens. There are two shots of the airplanes because one is shot at ISO 1600.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My D3 is set to arrive on Monday! I ordered one from Amazon.com shortly after they started offering pre-orders, and my order showed an estimated delivery date of Oct. 18-27. That window passed with no camera delivered, of course, and no update from Amazon. Last week, Amazon wrote to say delivery would be delayed to Dec. 18-Jan 8! There were none to be had at local shops in Los Angeles (the first shipment to Samy's was all pre-sold, and Bel Air still doesn't have any), so I tracked one down at JR in New York, and it's en route to me now. Yay!

Since I had initially pre-ordered a Panasonic L1--which was delayed so long I got cold feet and canceled--I feel like I've been waiting since early summer to take delivery of this camera.

I guess it will get its first real workout on Thanksgiving.

Good to see some skateboarding photographs on the forum. Back in the 80s skateboarding was one of few areas of the "youth orientated" media that cared about quality photography. The NME and other music magazine photographers were universally awful, but Transworld, Thrasher and Poweredge (photographs by Spike Jonze) featured some great shots.

B&H had the Digilux 3 listed as "In Stock" and then "Out of Stock" so someone must have one that could post some impressions and pictures. My buying decision is waiting until I can hold one, look through that viewfinder, switch the modes, and shoot a few shots but my dealer is obviously down on the list because he is yet to see one. Please, I am about to go nuts for news and reviews of this camera.

...since apparently no one here wants to discuss a camera that actually works, but the D3 works.

OIS works, auto WB works, auto exposure works, ACR works, the onboard flash works, Olympus flashes work. Auto ISO even works, and not just for flash (like the Olympuses).

The D3 is big, but reasonably proportioned with the (also big) 14-50, or the better Olympus and Sigma lenses.

ISO 800, 26mm, 1/10s at f/3.3:

d3-2.jpg

...since apparently no one here wants to discuss a camera that actually works, but the D3 works.

OIS works, auto WB works, auto exposure works, ACR works, the onboard flash works, Olympus flashes work. Auto ISO even works, and not just for flash (like the Olympuses).

The D3 is big, but reasonably proportioned with the (also big) 14-50, or the better Olympus and Sigma lenses.

ISO 800, 26mm, 1/10s at f/3.3:

I am seriously considering a 'Lux 3" instead of getting back in line for an M8. I'll be reading the user reports with great interest.

My D3 will be here Monday from JR's! Very excited. Using a R-D1s and Fuji S3 Pro now.

Love the R-D1s but have trouble focusing close-up due to eye problem. Great camera in the brite light but eyes can't focus great at night. The D3 looks like the ticket. Had the D2 for awhile but wanted to expand to interchangeable lenses., S3 is just too big, but takes great pic's, especially at high ISO's.

I had written off the L1/D3 as a replacement for the LC1+D2 that I own.

Now thanks to Fred Boyd it is a likely stablemate.

The Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-35mm f2.0 definately looks worthy of consideration on aperature alone.

I hope that the 4/3 lens evelope will continue to be pushed.

4/3 Noctilux, anyone?

That is a great shot in the church.

Phil, I hope my comments about the camera helped. I will add, that I have been so pleased with the camera, and the entire 4/3 format that I am going to make this my primary camera format. And that is even over my Canon EOS gear. I ordered the 35-100mm 2.0 & 150mm 2.0, they should arrive this week. And I am looking forward to buying the Olympus E-1 replacement when it comes out. I might even buy an E-1 body, next week.

My goal with photo gear is not who makes it, but does it help me make the images that I want to create, in the manner that I need to create them, and this system does. It works on all levels, for professional work or for just the pleasure of shooting. I will submit wome samples of those lens, as soon as they arrive.

My LA area dealer contacted me on Friday, having just met with her Leica rep, told me that the shipments to her (and she is among the first stores out here to get them) were being delayed by about a week. She didn't say why. She had originaly expected them about now, so I am mentally putting the ETA as 12/1.

I have not found any US online retailers with them in stock... I am excited to see the photos!

Philip, I know you were considering a D3, and I hope the lens of the system, sway you towards one. I purchased the Oly 35-100mm and it is awesome. If it had I.S. like the Canon lens, it would be a perfect lens. I have posted a couple of test shots I took. These were all hand held and just real quick shots.

Some have said that the size of this lens is big, and yes it is when you compare it to a normal 70-200mm 2.8, but Canon use to make a 200mm 1.8, which was just to big and heavy for me to buy and this is what should be compared to this lens. And this lens is a light weight compared to that one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

More great pics Fred! The 35-100 seems to be quite a big lens (bigger than the 14-50 Panaleica?) with that tripod mounting (removable?). I was thinking more of the 40-150 as it seems to be a more compact lens overall. Anyone know about the relative pic. quality bewteen these?

Have a L1 too. I really like the colors it produces. The OIS of the Leica 14-50mm kit lens really does work. The Olympus 7-14mm lens is also a lens worth considering. These are some pics taken with the L1 using the Leica kit lens and Oly 7-14mm.

68100093.jpg

69057022.jpg

69057029.jpg

69210240.jpg