24 'lux & M8 Experience?

gwelland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm seriously considering adding the 24 'lux to my outfit but to do so I really ought to rationalize the lens collection. To that end I was wondering how the 24 'lux compared objectively with the current 28 'cron? The focal lengths are similar (but different) but it's the rendering of the 'lux vs the 28 'cron that I'm interested in.

I'm torn as to whether to keep the 'cron or sell it to offset some of the 'lux cost so any experiences from 24 'lux owners would be very helpful.

My goal would be to reduce my lenses down to just WATE, 24 'lux, 50 'lux & either 75 'cron or 90 Elmarit. The M8 is my small travel outfit .... I have other in between lenses but I find myself more and more preferring a smaller simpler outfit.

Do you think I'd miss the 28 'cron?

p.s. Yes I've read Sean's 21/24 'lux reviews ...

Graham

I can't compare to the Cron 28 but I've had the Lux 24 for a couple of weeks and it draws exquisitely. I find it almost impossible to go wrong with this lens.

I happen to be in New Zealand for a couple of weeks and took it up the mountains. The way it renders snow scenes is awesome. Perfect whites and a creamy texture to the images requiring almost no post processing.

Aside from the price tag and awful lenshood I just cannot praise it enough.

Dubois

When I ordered the 24 Lux (still waiting) it was for the same desire to "clean up". I also feared that my 28 Elmarit would stick out like an unwanted or underused extra, despite the fact that I got it specifically for its compactness.

But viewed in isolation, the 28s are of course fantastic lenses. You say it is your small travel outfit, so chances are you will still find occasion to leave the bulky 24 at home and favour the 28. Switching framelines in the viewfinder may also convince you that 24 and 28 are not as close as they seem. Finally, the last LFI issue discussed the wide angles, which only went up to 24. So technically you could consider the 28 a different category :rolleyes:

Dubois/Marty,

Thanks for your insights.

I'm comfortable with the focal length difference between the 'cron & 'lux, and in fact that's one of the factors attracting me too since I'll often find myself reaching for a viewpoint that's between the 'cron and my WATE at 21 so that's not a concern really. I am torn on the thought of letting go of my cherished 'cron though, irrational as that might seem, and you raise a good point about the relative bulk of the 'lux vs 'cron.

Ironically I've been pouring over the LFI article all week convincing myself again that I "NEED" the 'lux - there's no problem there. :p

I still have my 28 'Cron but as I've said before I don't use it much on the M8. Actually I can't remember the last time I used it, other than that it was shortly before I bought my 24 Elmarit (which was just replaced with a 24 'Lux).

The 28 'Cron is a great lens but I just don't like the focal length that much on the cropped sensor. The 24 suits my style better, and since it's my main lens I thought that it was important to have a fast lens so I can shoot in low light better with the M8. Being able to shoot at 160 instead of 640 (or 640 instead of 2500, which is unusable for my purposes) is a big deal.

I'm not much on the very shallow DOF look. I prefer layering in my images. I only need the fast aperture for low-light. But having said that, of course the 24 'Lux can isolate a subject better than the 24 Elmarit. It actually seems to have a thinner DOF than the 28 'Cron, but that might be my imagination.

I don't have any side-by-side comparisons but I'll try to shoot one in the next day or two if it would be helpful.

The only reason I'm keeping my 28 'Cron is for a future full-frame camera. Since a 28mm is my favorite focal length and I don't like external finders all that much, if the M9 comes out and is full-frame, I'll probably sell the 24 'Lux and put the cash towards the new bodies I'll need and I'll go back to the 28 as my main lens. At least that was the plan, though the 'Lux is such a beautiful lens I might be tempted to keep it.

Having done something silly and ordered it from Mr White, I'm hoping it's pretty much the only lens used for the stuff I do with the M8 (besides the 50 'cron)

The images that finally made me swing for the lens can be seen at Flickr: Superbaka's Photostream

My only beef is that at this price level, you don't even get a filter with this and they want you to pay extra for a lens hood cap.

Seems the only people who get free filters to resolve a massive flaw with the M8 are those who spunk out on the Safari version.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only beef is that at this price level, you don't even get a filter with this and they want you to pay extra for a lens hood cap.

I'm with you on the filters, but there is a lens hood cap included with the lens, so you don't need to buy that separately.

Here are some side-by-side tests. Not very scientific but basically real-world situations. The files are straight out of ACR with no toning or sharpening. And all are shot wide open.

The 24 'lux is first then the 28'cron for both setups...

Oops. Forgot the pics...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for that Noah, I'll be honest, I'm more interested in your test shots over the scientific ones.

We both seem to shoot documentary/conflict photography, so that for me is a real world test over anything else.

Look forward to getting this lens now and putting it to use.

Thanks for that Noah, I'll be honest, I'm more interested in your test shots over the scientific ones.

We both seem to shoot documentary/conflict photography, so that for me is a real world test over anything else.

Look forward to getting this lens now and putting it to use.

Alas, since I got the lens I've been up to my eyeballs in production work so I haven't run the lens through its paces for any documentary projects, but I will soon. I had been shooting with the 24 Elmarit for that type of work and so basically the Lux is the same but slightly bigger and with two extra stops of light.

I did shoot a wedding with it (does that count as conflict photography?) and it performed flawlessly. These two are around F/2..

Noah,

Thanks for the comparison shots. One thing I did notice was that metering of the 'lux images is slightly different to that of the 'cron, assuming AE mode or manual exposure/metering confirmation?

Btw, Weddings: definitely conflict/combat photography!

Exposure for these tests was all Manual and I didn't re-meter between lenses. The exposures look similar to me, I see more difference in color and contrast than exposure. But any exposure variation is either due to either the aperture values not being exact OR the shutter speeds not being consistent.

The exposures for the first test were 1/60th@f/1,4 and 1/30th@f2, for the second they were 1/90th@f/1,4 and 1/45th@f/2.

I should mention also that no attempt was made to normalize the color. These are the "auto" white balance settings as the files came out of ACR. Slight differences in color rendering could be attributed to different auto white balance which could result from slightly different framing due to the different FOV of the two lenses. Subject distance was kept (mostly) the same.

The take away from this test for me is that the two lenses draw very similarly wide open. I'm not big on lens tests, as long as a lens is performing well for the work I do. But the OP got me curious about what the differences were, and I'm fairly convinced that you can choose which lens is best for you based on your focal length and aperture preferences, not on quality or major differences in the look of the images.

Thanks Noah - on my colour calibrated screen I do see slightly richer colour/tone from the 'lux images which I attributed to very slightly lower exposure but as you mentioned there are so many variable factors that could cause that plus we're only talking about web jpg's anyway. Either way it's a very pleasing rendition IMHO.