35mm Summicron on a Pana GH1

vikasmg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this is an approriate place for this since only the lens used is Leica, but nonetheless. I have a handful of initial pictures at Mumbai and Singapore Photo Gallery by Vikas M Gore at pbase.com

The first one is infact with the 14mm to 140mm lens that came with the camera (1/10 sec handheld proved surprisingly stable) but the others are with a 35mm Summicron.

I found that the highlight clipping mentioned in the DPR review really is an issue so I had to do a lot of highlight recovery for the highlights on the flower and also reduce the exposure by nearly a stop. Less of both in the two shots from further away. The lens does not communicate focal length and aperture data so mentioned these in the file names, hopefully remembering it right!

Focusing with focus assist is easy, though if your camera is not held steadily the image moves a lot on the screen in the close-up assist mode!

- Vikas

I am wondering how you get the focus assist to work when you have a Leica lens on the G1 via adapter? I do not seem to be able to get it to pop into FA . Mine just will not magnify. I am sure I have something not set right.

John

I am wondering how you get the focus assist to work when you have a Leica lens on the G1 via adapter? I do not seem to be able to get it to pop into FA . Mine just will not magnify. I am sure I have something not set right.

John

Go to the custom meny. On page 4, set MF assist on (probably set already). On page 5, set Shoot w/o lens on (most adapters don´t have contacts, so the camera thinks there´s no lens on the mount).

All set: When you want to magnify, first push left arrow button (now you can move the area that´s going to be enlarged to anywhere on the screen; very convenient when using a tripod), then the center button (menu/set). That´s it. Unless you still have the very first firmware version, it stays magnified as long as you need it. Cancel by a light press on the shutter release. Fiddly? Indeed.

If you have good eyesight, and are very careful in setting the eyepiece diopter wheel, you may be able to focus without magnification. It´s at least as good as on most consumer dSLR screens...:rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I do not have that great of eyesight at 62 and had just about given us using my 40 Summicron and 135 Elmarit on the G1. Both are great for low light shooting and of course the wide open quality, but I had about given up on them because I do need the magnifier. Back in my bag they go. Oh and with current used lens prices the 135 is the best bargain around in a fast 270 equivilant mm lens .

John