not for nothing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got the 24 mm f/3.8. Went on vacation with my wife, 3 dogs and my M8. Very marginal!! This lens is not in focus!! Did all sorts of testing, at infinity, at 10 feet, at 4 feet, 1 out of 4 photos looked in focus. So, is this a lens that is great for photo pros, or should guys like me look for another lens? The big question is is the M8 only a camera for men and women that have time to frame, focus, adjust, or those of us that love this camera for the size and great photos? I went to Thailand with only the 35 mm, f/2, but I would not leave my backyard with the 24 mm, f/3.8. Thanks!!!

Again, is it the lens or the camera. Just because one focal length works on the camera doesnt mean the cameras rangefinder coupling or bayonet isnt to blame.

You pay a lot of money for Leica systems, you should be able to just pick stuff up and expect to be able to use it. But you cant.

Ive sent kit for service or repair and it has returned, no longer working accurately with what used to be perfectly good lenses that had no previous issues of any kind.

Just got the 24 mm f/3.8. Went on vacation with my wife, 3 dogs and my M8. Very marginal!! This lens is not in focus!! Did all sorts of testing, at infinity, at 10 feet, at 4 feet, 1 out of 4 photos looked in focus. So, is this a lens that is great for photo pros, or should guys like me look for another lens? The big question is is the M8 only a camera for men and women that have time to frame, focus, adjust, or those of us that love this camera for the size and great photos? I went to Thailand with only the 35 mm, f/2, but I would not leave my backyard with the 24 mm, f/3.8. Thanks!!!

You have given us too many useless variables and to few lens specific variable for us to help you... But given your patients... 1 out of 4 in focus is not that bad :rolleyes:

Unless the cause is down to operator error, it does sound as though you may have a problem with either your lens or camera. I have the Elmar 24 f3.8, and if it were any sharper, it would be cutting the pixels in half! I'd suggest that you have both checked as soon as you can.

What kinds of tests, under controlled conditions, have you performed with the lens? Even something as simple as a yard stick (meter stick)? And by controlled, I mean on a tripod, cable release (or self timer), manual settings, range of apertures -- pretty much locked down.

I just ordered a LensAlign to run checks on my DSLRs, but I fully intend to run some checks on the RF gear as well.

A couple of years ago I made a simple focus checking target with some heavy photo paper and balsa wood. This is not a difficult thing to do.

Frankly, until we see some controlled results, there is nothing in the original post that distinguishes between camera/lens problems and operator-induced problems.

My testing is by no means a great test. I have been focusing on a tree top on the other side of a lake, at least 300 yards. In theory at f/16 on a sunny day, most of the frame should be in focus, however, the tree top is not in focus, very soft, clearly out of focus. Then items in the foreground, like boats, are also out of focus. Taking the same photo with my 35 mm cron, everything is a sharp as a tack. Thanks for your help, but a brand new lens, should not have to be tested and retested. Not for nothing, but is it too much to ask that a 2k plus item should work without sending it back to NJ? Where it may stay for the rest of the summer. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jim,

At f/16 your test shots may be affected by diffraction. I'm not suggesting that this is the whole problem but you might like to keep your aperture no smaller than f/8 to avoid diffraction effects because they may interfere with your results.

Pete.

My testing is by no means a great test. I have been focusing on a tree top on the other side of a lake, at least 300 yards. In theory at f/16 on a sunny day, most of the frame should be in focus, however, the tree top is not in focus, very soft, clearly out of focus. Then items in the foreground, like boats, are also out of focus. Taking the same photo with my 35 mm cron, everything is a sharp as a tack. Thanks for your help, but a brand new lens, should not have to be tested and retested. Not for nothing, but is it too much to ask that a 2k plus item should work without sending it back to NJ? Where it may stay for the rest of the summer. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

This may not be of much help, but tree-tops and boats all tend to move around quite a bit, especially if it's a bit breezy. What shutter speed were you using? f/16 would generally indicate a slower speed unless you were using a high ISO setting. Just a thought. :)

Just to be sure and taking into account what Pete said I would repeat this test at f5.6. At 300yards with a 24 mm lens it should all be in focus and no diffraction effects.

Jeff