D-lux 4 video is unique!

twistlick

Someone round here has been doing a fair bit of editing LX clips on the iMac with the iMovie to iDVD and to be honest the program, while easy enough to use, is pretty limited and a pain in the arse for what it can achieve. It would drive me mental. Most of the bundled Mac software is crap and iMove is no different.

There was a Canadian computer show (name?) with Leo Laporte on telly out here for a while and all the geeks were impressed by Corels cheap as chips movie editing, up to the point of the serious dollar adobe programs when Corel still gave them a run for their money.

WRT the LX/DLux in movie mode, absence of the zoom in record mode really is a limiting factor, and if a pocket digicam doesnt tick all the boxs theres no point, buy something else for half the price that does the job. The GH might be interesting, but its another price point. Maybe its back to the G10?

If anyone has any feedback on editing programs it would be good to hear. Otherwise it might be just Videostudio X2, which I notice is sixty bucks US, or two hundred and sixty in Aus. Go figure:D.

• 2 weeks later...
Try this experiment.

Play a DVD or Blu-ray disc on your TV, and record a minute or so with the D-Lux 4. Play the resulting mov file using Apple’s QuickTime player on your computer monitor. If you are not impressed with the result, something other than your D-Lux 4 needs an upgrade.

Well, I'm shooting HD with my #2 work camera, a Canon 5D Mark II and there is no comparison. I was quite disappointed at the quality, but I'm chalking it up to YouTube. I'd like to get a real Quicktime video before passing judgement.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i am just learning about the LX3 (D-lux 4 counterpart) video capability, and i am extremely impressed by the videos posted here and extremely depressed about what i am getting right out of my camera (one week new).

i have one question at the moment .... in the HD mode, the LX3 records at 16:9 which is 1280X720 .... but i notice that most videos here are at 16:9 and smaller than that on the screen.

am i missing a menu option somewhere or are the videos shown re-sized in postprocessing?

thanks.