Does a cellphone do a better job than an M8?

scaryink

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After looking at many of these photos, you must think that many of the important attributes of the original and digital M are now available in a very cheap and small form factor.

Please take your time here. There are some wonderful images that used to be captured with the RF.

Readers’ Photos: Call Forwarding - Lens Blog - NYTimes.com

It doesnt really matter as to accuracy, image size, or any other technical point, when the precise moment is caught. Often the distortions are what make the image both unique and special.

It makes you wonder if the considerations of the next M should include an even smaller and more portable shell.

Heck perhaps the next M should include a cellphone!! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A camera is only any good if you have it with you.

Not everyone goes to work with their camera over their shoulder, but most people in developed countries go to work, or to school, or the shops, or the hairdressers with their mobile phone, most of which have cameras of some sort built in these days.

So, in the circumstances where a mobile phone is the only camera you have, of course it will take a better photograph than your M sitting at home in your bag.

A camera is only any good if you have it with you.

Not everyone goes to work with their camera over their shoulder, but most people in developed countries go to work, or to school, or the shops, or the hairdressers with their mobile phone, most of which have cameras of some sort built in these days.

So, in the circumstances where a mobile phone is the only camera you have, of course it will take a better photograph than your M sitting at home in your bag.

Andy, really and truly best wishes and my prayers are with you.

The other point here is that a low resolution camera is perfectly fine if all you are going to do is post photos on the web.

Not bragging but I won a prize in a photo competition with a camera phone image - and yes, it was the only camera I had on me at the time!

After looking at many of these photos, you must think that many of the important attributes of the original and digital M are now available in a very cheap and small form factor.

Please take your time here. There are some wonderful images that used to be captured with the RF.

Readers’ Photos: Call Forwarding - Lens Blog - NYTimes.com

It doesnt really matter as to accuracy, image size, or any other technical point, when the precise moment is caught. Often the distortions are what make the image both unique and special.

It makes you wonder if the considerations of the next M should include an even smaller and more portable shell.

Heck perhaps the next M should include a cellphone!! :)

You just knew this was coming someday.:eek:

The logical answer is yes - if that is the camera you are carrying when you see the image. Cellphone images are quite good enoiugh for web use. And the M8 is notoriously useless in sending the images directly to the NYTimes.

Some great images here and interesting to see the majority appear to have been taken with an iPhone!

I have the 3G phone and the camera is great if used carefully - the large screen allows easy and more accurate composition - I believe the new version is even better

There are some nice images here, though lots of cliche and boring ones too.

But this brings up a larger point. If in the future more and more of our work will be seen online instead of in magazines and in print, perhaps eventually the mass-market photography world will realize that the megapixel race is pointless.

Portability and convenience are important too. And while cellphone cameras are an extreme example of this. I think the M-system also performs well in this regard.

And who would be the one to post it.

Yes there are thread leaders and participants with a mixture of grumbling followers. For me, It is about the image Mr. Pope. I purchased the M8 to take with me most of the time, why? To simply capture a quality image with complete control.

I have read your posts - all of them and while I respect you care for the image machine more than the image captured, please understand that not everyone feels the same way.

Lively, controversial and thoughtful discussion is the essence of a forum neighborhood, if you don't like the discussion then it may be better to go and admire your loveley machine - instead of pointless grumbling and soft trolling.

Not unexpected posts given that this is a forum specific to one camera. I'm sure there must be brand-specific cell phone forums where readers are clamoring for better features...zooms and auto focus, better resolution, and of course niftier wrist straps and bags.

Jeff

... I'm sure there must be brand-specific cell phone forums where readers are clamoring for better features...zooms and auto focus, better resolution, and of course niftier wrist straps and bags.

Jeff

Rangefinders!

But this brings up a larger point. If in the future more and more of our work will be seen online instead of in magazines and in print, perhaps eventually the mass-market photography world will realize that the megapixel race is pointless.

It's already happening, go to any major public event and you will generally see more people taking snaps on mobile phones than proper cameras. The teens/20somethings all use Facebook/Myspace/Bebo etc., to communicate with their friends and wider family, the photos get loaded up there, video clips on You Tube, and I bet hardly ever a print at all.

I bought M8 because I was leaving my d/SLRs home most of the time.

As ar as camera phone goes, I have seen great work from iPhone. Besides, were not Canon/Nikon/Minolta's first dSLRs something like 2MP? They went for around $10-$25K US. So, I guess only lacking part is lens?

Looking to get 3Gs, but they are not available in store right now.

Edited by trs

I have read your posts - all of them and while I respect you care for the image machine more than the image captured, please understand that not everyone feels the same way.

From the little I've posted on this forum, there's no honest way you could nail my position on photography like that. If anything, I'm further along the spectrum of 'only the picture content matters' than is respectable for a camera-specific community like this one! The i-Phone, Flip camcorder and Twitter probably ARE the future of one particular sub-genre of photojournalism - neither I nor Ayatollah Khamenei would disagree with you there. But why does the M8 forum have to be led by the nose by you to discuss it? It's not relevant to why we're here and seems, as is your habitual style, to be more deliberately provocative than aired in good faith.