Manually Set Shutter Speed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed the shutter speed dial on my M8 has a maximum setting of 4 seconds of exposure time. I know that you can use the "B" setting to allow exposure time to be as long as you need it to be. But is there anyway you can set the M8 to a specific exposure time greater than 4? For example, 24 seconds of exposure time? (Also without having to hold the shutter button for the entire 24 seconds). Or do I just have to always have a stop watch with me at all times...

-Andy

I discovered while taking fireworks pictures this July 4th that in B mode, M8 shows elapsed time in view finder. So, you don't a separate stop watch. But, you still need to hold the shutter release button or lock it and release when time comes.

I used to have one for my Nikon, the MC-36. But I never used the timer part. With long exposures an approximation has always been sufficient.

Haven't tried this myself but in A mode, perhaps it might be possible to induce 24s artificially and lock?

I discovered while taking fireworks pictures this July 4th that in B mode, M8 shows elapsed time in view finder. So, you don't a separate stop watch. But, you still need to hold the shutter release button or lock it and release when time comes.

That's correct regarding seeing time ticking in the finder. However, you don't have to hold the shutter release button or lock it.

Simply set the main switch to self timer when the B function is on. Just nudge the release button to start the timer count down. I find 2 s is mostly acceptable. After countdown on the LCD you can follow the exposure time progress in the HUD in the finder. When you have reached your preferred exposure time, another nudge on the release button will close the shutter. Note that the camera will automatically produce a dark frame, which you can follow on the LCD.

So, no need for a release cable, but of course there is nothing wrong with using one if you don't want the self timer.

This is described on page 91 (lower right) in the M8 manual (don't know about the M8.2 manual).

Regards

Per