Reliable High Capacity SDHC Cards & M8/M8.2

gwelland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking to update my stash of SD cards for the M8 and was wondering if anyone had good experiences with various 16GB SDHC cards with respect to compatibility and/or reliability.

In particular, is anyone using the Hoodman RAW SDHC cards and do they live up to their hype?

As SDHC cards I use on my M8s:

1.- 4 x Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6 cards. Very happy with them. (I also use a 5th one on my Digilux 3). Besides, they're very cheap ! (I can hear you screaming...)

2.- 2 x SanDisk 4GB and 2 x SanDisk 8GB SDHC Class 6. I found some problems formatting them in some card readers non SanDisk (Lexar, for instance) probably because SanDisk cards use some proprietary patents. I have also got some corrupted files with them, though not many. I prefer the Transcend ones because I've never found any problem with them yet.

3.- 1 x Panasonic 32GB SDHC Card... Not used very often, only when I travel and I when need extra storage. No problem with this card for the moment.

Never had a problem with Sandisk SDHC (4GB and 8GB).

As a side note, I wouldn't risk filling up a 16GB (let alone a 32GB) before backing it up to some form of more "permanent" storage medium, if there is any such thing. Therefore, I'd say 4GB and 8GB are all you need for the M8 IMHO. Of course, if you are planning to use the cards for other equipment (or are anticipating that a higher-resolution M9 will be available soon;)), that's another story...

Edited by Ecar

As SDHC cards I use on my M8s:

1.- 4 x Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6 cards. Very happy with them. (I also use a 5th one on my Digilux 3). Besides, they're very cheap ! (I can hear you screaming...)

I have 8 of these.

One of them has been through the washing machine with no problems (whoops).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a side note, I wouldn't risk filling up a 16GB (let alone a 32GB) before backing it up to some form of more "permanent" storage medium, if there is any such thing. Therefore, I'd say 4GB and 8GB are all you need for the M8 IMHO. Of course, if you are planning to use the cards for other equipment (or are anticipating that a higher-resolution M9 will be available soon;)), that's another story...

Ecar, using 16GB SDHC cards doesn't mean I have to fill them before I download the pictures to my computer.

Having 16GB (even 32GB) cards give me the possibility to shoot up to 16GB (or 32GB) when needed using just one single card... Yes.. I can hear you... but I'll tell you in the past, I've physically lost 2GB cards full of pictures while they were in my pockets or in my "fourre-tout" (bag)... so I think having the card in the camera is even safer than in my pockets... and I don't worry much nowadays about card failures... especially when cards are guaranted "life time"...

I have 8 of these.

One of them has been through the washing machine with no problems (whoops).

I see... I'm not the only blonde here... I washed one last week (40º C) and 1400 rpm spin... No problem... the pictures were still there!

:D:D:D

Art, a 32 Gb card gives you 3200 shots. I cannot conceive of a situation that one needs to shoot that many without pause to change cards, especially as you will have to change batteries at least six times anyway.

As a side note, I wouldn't risk filling up a 16GB (let alone a 32GB) before backing it up to some form of more "permanent" storage medium, if there is any such thing.

This used to be my theory too. However, if you back up as you fill the card you end up with a full card plus a full back up. 16GB Sandisk seem fine to me by the way. I also use a 32GB CF Sandisk card without problems - video on a 5D2 requires huge cards.

Art, a 32 Gb card gives you 3200 shots. I cannot conceive of a situation that one needs to shoot that many without pause to change cards, especially as you will have to change batteries at least six times anyway.

jaap, when I go for a long trip and even if I prefer to download the pictures into my laptop frequently (which it's not always possible... I think of my last trip to Costa Rica, for instance) and make a backup in a external USB hard drive, I ALWAYS KEEP ALL THE PICTURES in the SDHC card too. That gives me a second backup. So, if I lose/break my laptop or hard disk during my trip, the pictures will be on the card...

Just another little trick... As I carry more often my M8 with me than my laptop, if I feel like sharing some pictures with my friends, I just remove the SDHC cards from my cameras and I insert them in my friends' laptops... and I even can add to my cards some of their pictures...

:cool:

Ecar, using 16GB SDHC cards doesn't mean I have to fill them before I download the pictures to my computer.

Having 16GB (even 32GB) cards give me the possibility to shoot up to 16GB (or 32GB) when needed using just one single card... Yes.. I can hear you... but I'll tell you in the past, I've physically lost 2GB cards full of pictures while they were in my pockets or in my "fourre-tout" (bag)... so I think having the card in the camera is even safer than in my pockets... and I don't worry much nowadays about card failures... especially when cards are guaranted "life time"...

Art, I understand your point - I guess it's a matter of personal preferences and habits. As an example, I tend to forget backing up my cards until they're full - but I never lost a single card or even lens cap...

You're right - what works for one doesn't necessary work for others:rolleyes:

Edited by Ecar

Art, I understand your point - I guess it's a matter of personal preferences and habits. As an example, I tend to forget backing up my cards until they're full - but I never lost a single card or even lens cap...

You're right - what works for one doesn't necessary work for others:rolleyes:

I agree with you. You have explained it in the right way ;)

I simply don't understand why some people here are surprised because I use 16GB or 32GB SDHC cards... On the other hand, I don't understand why people still use 2GB SD cards in 2009... but the difference is I don't make any comments when people here talk about their 2GB SD cards. I suppose they have their reasons. It's enough for me.

I am a new member to this forum and a recent convert to Leica and digital rangefinders with the M8. When I purchased my M8 in February, I was told that the M8 firmware only supported cards with capacities less than 2GB. Was I misled, or did I miss a firmware update?

Mike

I bought a Transcend 16GB SDHC card and have been using it for about 6 months. It has never let me down. The only problem is that the counter reads 999 pictures to go no matter how much i have shot. I expect that if I used it enough, it would eventually start reading down. But basically, I just ignore the counter and enjoy shooting. Nest month I am going to Europe and will probably shoot enough to see the counter move. BTW, Transcend cards cost significantly less than Sandisk or Lexar, and IMO it is just as good.

Looks like I'm one of the ones having issues - I can tell you what cards to stay AWAY from which work fine on my Digilux 3 but not on the M8 -

16GB Crucial Class 4 cards

16GB Kingston Class 4 cards

4-8GB Patriot Class 6 cards

I'm using a 4GB Delkin PRO Class 6 SDHC card right now without any MAJOR issues, but this camera is pretty darn finicky with the cards I've thrown at it.

Glad everyone else isn't having issues.

Maybe it's just me who is paranoid, but the idea of using anything above 8gb and not having multiple cards is worrying.

Tech fails all the time. SDHC cards are no different, i've had many fail, even the higher quality brands. The best approach I've found is to have 10 2GB cards and use them like I do film.

Cumbersome, but I'd rather one card fail and loose 50 images than all images lost on a 16gb failure.