Anyone went from 24 + 35 kit to 28mm only ?

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another which kind of lens thread .... sorry but since we are not allowed to talk football or dropped luxes in the M8 section ... :D

Seriously, would like to hear from the experience of those of you that went from using the 24 + 35 kit on the M8 to 28mm Summicron only. I have returned from a week vacation in Southern France where I mostly used the 24mm Elmarit & 60mm Hexanon. In Paris I use mainly the 35mm Lux Asph & 60mm Hexanon. I find the 24 and 35 to have significantly different rendering (accentuated by my post processing). Also, many times framing is too tight with the 35mm Lux (especially travelling) and the 24mm Elmarit is a bit too slow and has a DOF a bit too large for my liking at F2.8.

So I guess the end question is do you feel the 28mm Summicron is a good compromise to the 24 + 35 combo in terms of size speed, street photography FOV, DOF (I use thin DOF), and very important, rendering (and its potential homogenousity with the 60mm Hexanon) ?

Obvioulsy, I could own the three of them, but I thrive for simplicity, this would not help even if I would really hate to sell by 24 and 35, but I find the whole picture taking though process much easier when I have only two choices : wide or long.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hallo Yanick,

For me I also found the 35 too long and the 25 too wide, I know use the 28mm most of the time.

I've now got a 21 / 28 / 50 / 85 kit with the 85 and 21 only brought out on special occasions.

However, your stuff really plays nicely with shallow DoF and I am wondering whether 28mm @ f/2 will have the same effect as your 35mm @ f/1.4 shots.

Yes. I have done the same thing On the M8, the 35 is too long and the 21/24 is a bit harder to use with the finder. Now I use the 28/2.0 most of the time. I carry a 90 ( older 2.8 ), and the new version of the 15mm Voigtlander ( rangefinder coupled ). The 28 is quick, fast, and light enough for most things. DR

I've never before thought my 35 was too long or 24 too wide. I don't have a 28 but I have read how it is a perfect match to the M8 and it would appear like an ideal compromise of the 35 and 24. Still, I cannot imagine trading either/both for a 28 and owning all 3 would seem overkill. Hmm. :confused:

Yes, I have - I found the 35 cron too long and the 25 Biogon too wide and too slow. I now use a 28 cron. Although I am 2.0m tall, so I have to bend my knees to get 'peoples feet in frame', if I stand up I find most shots cut people off at the knees - so I might replace my CV 15 with a CV21 or CVC25, so I have some regrets, the Biogon was/is a great lens.

I mostly shoot available light interiors but the new 'lux are far too expensive!

I have the 24, 28 and 35 (cron not lux). The 28 cron is a good compromise between the 24 and 35. This morning I went out to take two portraits in available light. I took the 3 crons 28, 35 and 50. I used them all.

My least used lens from 21-50 is the 24 Elmarit - but I would not sell it.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I, for one, went for 28 cron from 35 lux and 24 Elmar. But then, I am missing the speed of lux, so am pretty sure will pick up another one, when I can.

For one lens only, I use 28, but for two lenses, I like 24+35 (I still have 35 cron) better than 28 + one more. But then, if I take three, it comes back to 15+28+50...

I went the other way. I wanted the 28 to be my main lens on the M8 since it's a great lens, (and since I had one already). I used it as my main lens for a few months but I found that often it's not wide enough or not long enough for my taste. Now it pretty much sits in my closet waiting for a full-frame camera.

I settled on a 24 and a 50 as my main M8 kit, and that's what I use for nearly all of my work (About 90% with the 24 and 10% with the 50).

I was happy with the elmarit, but am selling it now to pay off my new 24 'Lux. Which, combined with my 50 'Lux Pre-Asph, makes a pretty nice set.

You'll have to try it out for yourself, maybe borrow or rent one. I think having all three would not be overkill, in fact it gives you some amount of redundancy for backup purposes. But I know if I didn't already have a 28 'Cron, I wouldn't buy one for the M8.

If I were stuck with one lens, I might choose the 28, but it would be a compromise in the name of keeping things simple. I like a two-lens set since it gives me some choices but not too many;)

If it's financially possible, you could always sell the 24 Elmarit and get a 24 'Lux. Seems like it would solve your dilemma quite nicely...

I started with a 35, I then bought a 50 and a 15 with the intention of filling the 'gap' with a 24. After much a research and starting to find the 35 a bit long and not using it much I decided to forget the 24, sell the 35 and get a 28 instead. Got great priced 28 cron from popflash photo and now take the 28+50 out as my normal combo with the 15 used occasionally. I like the simplicity of 3 lenses and the 28 cron is smaller and lighter than either the 35 I had or the 24 lux I was considering. Plus when the M goes full frame it will still be a great combo!

Noah, I also have a 50 Lux (but ASPH) and I do use all three - 24, 35 & 50 quite regularly. I am happy with either whenever I go out with any one of these lenses - no concerns about either being too long or wide on my M8. The only lenses I hardly touch is the 90 Cron. Next is the CV15.

I've been thinking about trading the 24 Elmarit up to a 24 Lux, having seen some really nice photos made with it. But since I am not a pro and don't mint money, I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe when I can find a decent deal in the used market. ;)

Noah, I also have a 50 Lux (but ASPH) and I do use all three - 24, 35 & 50 quite regularly. I am happy with either whenever I go out with any one of these lenses - no concerns about either being too long or wide on my M8. The only lenses I hardly touch is the 90 Cron. Next is the CV15.

I've been thinking about trading the 24 Elmarit up to a 24 Lux, having seen some really nice photos made with it. But since I am not a pro and don't mint money, I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe when I can find a decent deal in the used market. ;)

The 24 'Lux was a big investment for me, but since it's my main lens and will be used for upwards of 90 percent of my work, I felt I could justify the expense. I sold my 24 Elmarit and 35 'Cron to help defray the cost (I still have a 35 'lux though).

Unless your livelihood depends on you bringing back good images in low light, I'd say be happy with the Elmarit. It's a wonderful lens and with the M8 it's good enough for most situations.

I might have been more clear. What I should have said was that the 28 was not long enough or not wide enough for use as my primary lens. And again, this is personal opinion.

The 28mm focal length is my favorite on full-frame 35mm cameras, so it makes sense that I prefer something a bit wider on the 1.3 crop camera.

Edited by noah_addis
typo

Hey! I just sold my 28 and I found I was never using it. I never really bonded with it and the M8 and honestly, it was my least favorite lens out of all that I own. I mainly use the 35 but at times it is a bit too long. For me, it seemed the perfect combo was the 24 and 50.

I keep going back and forth on selling my 35 Lux but I know if I sell it I will miss it. I really loved that 24 elmarit though and my dream is a 24 Lux. If I sold my 35 Lux, 50 Sonnar and 90 Cron I could swing the 24 lux but then all I would have is the 24 and 50 Pre ASPH lux.

If I were rich I would own them all! Good luck!

In effect yes.

I still have the 24 and 35 that I used extensively on my M6 ttl but I was not really happy with them on the M8. I got a 28 Summicron with the M8 early adopter discount scheme but was quite unsure if I was doing the right thing – there were so many lenses to choose from and I had never taken to the 28mm focal length with film on either M or R cameras.

Now the 24mm and 35mm lenses stay in the bag or are even left at home. I use them when particular situations make them the preferred choice, but 90+% of the time I now select the 28 rather than either of them.

It has to be said that neither the current 35mm Summicron or the Summilux are Leica’s proudest achievements. The M8 is merciless and these two lenses are outclassed when used in critical situations by lenses such as the 28mm Summicron. It is absolutely no surprise to me that the 35mm Summarit receives such high praise.

I own the 24/35/50/75/90 for both film M's and M8. I could foresee the removal of the 35mm Lux, but for the life of me can't see how I'd cope without the 24mm.

On film the 24mm is a wonderful 90 degree wide angle, but on the M8 the crop reduces it to a medium lens. Whilst it's bearable and produces great images in partnership with say a 50mm I can't imagine how the 28mm could fill my wide angle requirements. I'd need to put a 21 or an 18mm with it.

So my advice is to keep the 24mm and use the 35 Lux as a standard for low light shooting.

I have the 24 2,8 and the 35 1,4. I use the latter most. I find the 24mm a bit to wide on the M8. For some reason I like the 35mm on both film and digital, so I guess 28mm would be ideal for me on the M8. However I really like the aperture 1,4, use it quite often. So in my case nothing is going to change. If you don't need 1,4, I can se a potential + you will have less dust ;-)

I like 28 Elmarit because of its really compact size. I can carry it (as a spare) in my pocket. It's also a really nice lens.

That said, I also shoot with 35 'lux most of the time.

I just got a 24 'lux (no filter yet) and like it, but can't really comment. On paper, it should be really great on M8 because it's the widest glass one can use w/o an external finder.

I actually am going the other way...I had to get my 35mm chron repaired and was using the 15/24/28/50 lenses, but when I got the 35 back, I decided to get rid of the 24 and 28, keeping the 15 CV and using the 35 as my main lens. I also used the 35 as my main lens on the film M's, and I like the perspective it provides relative to the 24 and the speed relative to the 28 2.8 lens.

srd

It has to be said that neither the current 35mm Summicron or the Summilux are Leica’s proudest achievements.

I'm curious, why do you say that?

The M8 is merciless and these two lenses are outclassed when used in critical situations by lenses such as the 28mm Summicron. It is absolutely no surprise to me that the 35mm Summarit receives such high praise.

Also, may I ask what critical situations would a 28 Cron outclass a 35 Cron/Lux? And how the 35 Summarit deserves praises where the 35 Cron/Lux don't?

Thanks. :)

I might have been more clear. What I should have said was that the 28 was not long enough or not wide enough for use as my primary lens. And again, this is personal opinion.

I remember having a small debate with a friend who is a bigger fan of the 28 than 35, and I am quite the reverse, for travel use. We finally agreed that it is because he takes a lot more landscape photos that I do, and I snap a lot more people and street scene than he does. Not that the 28 or 35 couldn't be used for either but we have each gotten used to the focal length of the lenses we own. And the results were themselves so good (more attributable to the gear than talent, I'm sure!) that we didn't really think much about needing something longer or wider to make them any better. ;)