Goodwood Festival of Speed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few of my favourites from the FOS at weekend - what a fabulous event.

First time using the M8 for action shots - it's awesome! I know the 'myth' is that its unsuitable but I don't understand that viewpoint now I've tried it! I can't see what could be better than that monster field of view, no shutter blackout and the worlds fastest autofocus system.... prefocus and leave it well alone !

Seriously a great day out and really enjoyed my Leica! These all 35 and 75 'cron shots.

Never been to the FOS before but strongly recommend it now!

That car you mention is the Aston DBR1 - the owner has campaigned the car for 15 years in historic racing and it shows! The car is very valuable but this didn't diminish his enthusiasm to use it as it was intended by its maker - on the limit absolutely everywhere up the hill - a joy to watch!

There is the Goodwood revivial racing meet later in the year which is also reckoned to be superb so maybe time to book some time out to go!

....and out of interest what do you think of my decision to leave it looking a bit bright - the red isn't as deep as you'd think in this shot because the sun was absolutely belting down. So I've left the shot as it actually looked in real life.

I always have a problem with that - go for the obvious 'drama' that exists in the contrast slider or preserve the reality!

....and out of interest what do you think of my decision to leave it looking a bit bright - the red isn't as deep as you'd think in this shot because the sun was absolutely belting down. So I've left the shot as it actually looked in real life.

I always have a problem with that - go for the obvious 'drama' that exists in the contrast slider or preserve the reality!

Honest opinion? All of your action shots are slightly blurred; panning with slow shutter speeds takes a great deal of practice. Check out Charlie Chan's (topoxforddoc) shots on this forum. Keep at it because your static shots are good.

There are many Ferrari reds. ;)

It was indeed a great event, this year was my first time there. My judgement may be a bit clouded as I was a guest of Audi UK whose centenary it was. I was most fortunate to get in amongst the Auto Union pre war racers and discuss them with the guys from Audi Tradition that look after them - I got envious looks from the crowds the other side of the rope barriers as well.

Unfortunately I cannot post any of my pics here as I did not take my M8 with me as I erroneously thought I would need longer lenses and took my SLR instead.

Anyway I am sure your pics will give you a reminder of a great day out.

Ian

Pete - well spotted I'm a total panning novice :-) - The FOS was my first ever attempt.

The interesting thing is that I love the shots much more than the conventional high shutter speed ones - blurred or not !

Any tips for learning to pan? I had another hidden problem to work around and that was that my available shutter release point was often between 2 heads among a crowd! It was only the fact that I was using the M8 with the 'cron 75 that I could even get the shots properly at all using that big viewfinder to see what was 'coming up' I could delay until just the right moment. Very difficult and as you can see although I got the cars where I wanted them they're not crisp :-)

Pete - well spotted I'm a total panning novice :-) - The FOS was my first ever attempt.

The interesting thing is that I love the shots much more than the conventional high shutter speed ones - blurred or not !

Any tips for learning to pan? I had another hidden problem to work around and that was that my available shutter release point was often between 2 heads among a crowd! It was only the fact that I was using the M8 with the 'cron 75 that I could even get the shots properly at all using that big viewfinder to see what was 'coming up' I could delay until just the right moment. Very difficult and as you can see although I got the cars where I wanted them they're not crisp :-)

Practice! Go and shoot the traffic on the main road, this is not a problem with digital but would be expensive with film. Start with say 1/500th and work you way down; real experts can get nine out of ten at 1/60th, or even below. The top guns manage to get just a small detail of the car e.g. driver's head or rear view mirror sharp and everything else falls away. 1/125th gives good results, wheels will be blurred but you should be able to get some useful images.

The trick is to be close as possible to the subject and not to use an over-long lens, 75 is fine, swing right through the shot and release the shutter gently.

Show us some more. :)

I'm 100% in agreement that M's are great at the track, and sporting events in general

Everyone out there is shooting a 70-200 f2.8 zoom

Their shots all look alike

Shooting a Leica with a 28, 35, even a 75...it just makes your work look distinctive, different, and Lord knows the pictures are flat-out jaw-dropping for clarity and detail

Nice shot of all the Silver Arrows in a row up there

Thanks for sharing

AB

Practice! Go and shoot the traffic on the main road, this is not a problem with digital but would be expensive with film. Start with say 1/500th and work you way down; real experts can get nine out of ten at 1/60th, or even below. The top guns manage to get just a small detail of the car e.g. driver's head or rear view mirror sharp and everything else falls away. 1/125th gives good results, wheels will be blurred but you should be able to get some useful images.

The trick is to be close as possible to the subject and not to use an over-long lens, 75 is fine, swing right through the shot and release the shutter gently.

Show us some more. :)

...quick question, Pete - does the direction of the shutter in a horizontal-shutter camera have any bearing on panning?

In particular, is there a critical shutter speed, relative to the speed of the subject (and assuming the panning is in the "incorrect" direction to the shutter travel), beyond which things would just go t*ts up? Just wondering. :confused:

...quick question, Pete - does the direction of the shutter in a horizontal-shutter camera have any bearing on panning?

In particular, is there a critical shutter speed, relative to the speed of the subject (and assuming the panning is in the "incorrect" direction to the shutter travel), beyond which things would just go t*ts up? Just wondering. :confused:

Over to the techies for that one- I haven't a clue.:eek:

Dammit! I have a real problem with this - every time I export a jpeg it washes out!

Here we go again with an oversaturated one which should look ok on here...

I also find that posting shots here sometimes changes both colour and brightness, hence I'm always being told to "punch it up"!:o

Yeah this one is OK; the lightness of the straw in the foreground is a bit distracting and Mr Picture Editor would want to crop out some of the surroundings anyway.

Nice picture of a very historic car, well done. :)