21mm Elmarit ASPH used - advice please

jrh68uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of a used 21/2.8 ASPH. Something about it concerns me a little.

With the hood off there are three little holes just behind (looking from the front) the ridge that goes all the way around and holds the hood in place. They are at approx the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock positions. They look like screw holes but, on this one, there are no screws. They are just small holes (possibly with threads but I could be wrong).

Can anyone verify whether there should be screws in these holes? If so, I'm concerned that this may have had an "amateur" repair job at some point in its life...

I've tried to look at pics on the net but there aren't many that show these holes even close to clearly, so I can't tell. if you have one, could you check and let me know, please?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

My 21mm Asph is exactly the same. I suspect there is some sort of thread deep down in each hole to afix the ring to the lens. It's a great lens but I am still struggling between a Leica 21mm finder and Zeiss 21mm finder for registration.-Dick

Hi Jason,

I've just taken delivery of a used 21/2.8 ASPH.

Congratulations!

Something about it concerns me a little.

With the hood off there are three little holes just behind (looking from the front) the ridge that goes all the way around and holds the hood in place. They are at approx the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock positions. They look like screw holes but, on this one, there are no screws. They are just small holes (possibly with threads but I could be wrong).

Yes, there are little allen screws in those holes.

Same on 24mm Elmarit.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So, there aren't supposed to be screws here (Philippe - I don't see allen screws. There are no screws at all). That's reassuring, as I was a bit shocked when it arrived.

Mark - I guess you mean that there's a tool which has teeth/prongs which fit these holes and allow the accessory carrier to be screwed on. That makes sense - thanks!

Looking forward to using it now :)

Cheers,

Jason