Photo Village in NYC

harleyboy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have great selection, but you better know what you want, because the return policy is pretty stiff. Like all the New York shops they seem, to my ears, rude on the phone. That may be typical for that part of America, but I'll never get used to it.

B&H is the same way. What is so hard about answering the phone with "Thank you for calling "x", I'm "X", how may I help you?"

• 2 years later...

I must say, I thought i was dealing with a reputable dealer. However, I left a $2500 deposit, and Rich has refused to deliver the items, or return my deposit. He has decided to change the terms of the invoice, price, quantity, shipping charges, and method of payment, after the fact. Not sure if anyone else on the board, has had a similar experience?????

I must say, I thought i was dealing with a reputable dealer. However, I left a $2500 deposit, and Rich has refused to deliver the items, or return my deposit. He has decided to change the terms of the invoice, price, quantity, shipping charges, and method of payment, after the fact. Not sure if anyone else on the board, has had a similar experience?????

:eek:

Can you explain a little more about that??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have purchased several items from Photo Village over the years (a CV 40 1.4, and several smaller items) with no porblem. Last month I was in the shop and bought an A&A bag. Got it back to the hotel room and started putting my gear in it and noticed the lining was coming undone. I e-mailed Rich immediately and took it back the next day and Will cheerfully replaced the item. No problem. I think (please correct me) that they are the only Leica "Shop in a Shop" in the Northeast US. That alone speaks volumes for me, as I doubt that Leica would permit that with any run of the mill camera shop.

I will continue to deal with them. I am a satisfied customer. Happy shooting with your new camera.

I have bought a number of things from Rich (including my first Leica) and never had a problem, but I've heard of mixed experiences from others, sort of like what's being reported in this thread.

Mark I think you will find Leica will look after you, especially since your dealer will go to bat for you. They gave me incredible service on an in-warranty body earlier this year on advice from my dealer. I understand you're upset, but I think Leica will make everything good for you as they did for me. :)

Over the years I've bought a lot of gear from Rich. So far, so good. My only complaint was that one of the lenses was severely backordered and it was obvious that he was stringing me along to keep the sale. In any case, it all came out in the wash and no hard feelings.

His prices are right and appears to have a good connection with Leica. He always seems to have a steady supply of demo gear at good prices, with a reduced factory warranty.

They have great selection, but you better know what you want, because the return policy is pretty stiff."

This has been my experience also. I purchased a camera and two lenses from them 7-8 years ago, but because of a misunderstanding regarding the return policy, I decided never to do business with them again.

At that time, their prices were very competitive, but now they seem to be on the more expensive side. Price wise, they don't seem to be any different from any of a number of other places. In terms of value, I would look west to Tony Rose.

Tony Rose is SUPERB. He is about the only dealer I would bother with because I have had perfect experiences with him, bags of help and patience and wonderful service. I have heard pretty well the same from others. He has gotten his formula right and I will remain loyal because of it.

I would not go near a company that screwed you for $200 to return a lens full of dust unless it was described as such.

In the UK, Red Dot cameras have been very nice.

I have purchased the following from Photo Village: M4, M6TTL LHSA, M8 and many lenses. I had no problems with anything I purchased from them until I returned a CV 35 for partial exchange on a 35 Cron ASPH. They weren't very charitable with my return and when I called to talk about it the person was always "not there" or "unavailable". Obviously a good buying history does not seem to guarantee service with a smile. I'll go elsewhere for my next Leica purchase.

• 5 months later...

Bringing up the old thread. I love Photo Village, although I am frightened to go in there for fear that I will empty my bank account. I find Will and Rich very knowledgeable and friendly. Return policy a little stiff but small shops can get burnt so easily. I hope shops like this can stay in the game forever.

I've dealt with Rich for several years, and recently Will as well, purchasing several Leica-M's, various lenses (even Canon gear), and most recently an M9. Service has always been first class -- no issues ever. Returns, exchanges, order cancellations etc. have always been worked out on reasonable terms (if you don't like the default terms, see if you can negotiate some other mutually acceptable terms in advance). I like to support Rich because he makes a significant investment in a top-tier Leica retail operation. As well, I've seen him routinely go out of his way (beyond normal expectations) to accomodate customer needs and preferences. I'm sure there are other good dealers, but PhotoVillage is my first choice, and always a stop when in New York.

Why should a shop, even B&H, let you test drive an expensive camera, and let you return it. I always thought that was crazy. Once it is returned, they can't sell it as new anymore... they sell this stuff as "open-box" items no? I don't blame PV for having this policy. There are too many people who just borrow a camera based on a return policy... and remember, PV has a rental department. Return policies are free rentals to some people. I think that is unfair.

• 1 year later...
They have a M9-P advertised on their main page for $ 1000. This must be some form of bait advertising. Unless it is a closeout sale of some sort. I have ordered one. Lets see if they come through

It's not bait advertising at all. If you read the link you'll see that the $1000 is for a deposit on the camera.

http://photovillage.com/product.php?productid=3798&cat=0&page=1&featured

The actual camera is $7995 and the $1000 deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances. I hope you enjoy your M9-P.