Developing in C1 from LR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the workflow which is possible in LR including the many external editing options like PSCS4, the various NIK programs, Noise Ninja etc etc. and the print module.

BUT, for me Capture One is the developer of choice and up to now if I wanted to use Capture One to develop a RAW/DNG, I had to do that separately because LR did not send RAW/DNG files to other programs for editing.

By accident I just found a plug-in for LR that does just that, and can also send it to any one of 6 developers of choice.

Setting the desired export folder in C1 and "open in Lightroom" and you get Lightroom's import window and can import the processed tif into LR in the set folder with a click for each image. It takes as many clicks as you have images in a process batch. Not perfect but easier done than said.

the link to the plug-in

John Beardsworth Photography News/Blog

maurice

Jamie,

Certainly not a dumb comment.

Probably because most of all I like LR both for organizing and printing better than Bridge and CS4.

I do use CS4 from within LR quite a lot and then go back to LR for printing, so your comment does give me food for thought.

Maurice

• 3 weeks later...
My dumb comment: why not just use C1 and Photoshop and forget Lightroom?

This is what I do now and am left with file control and retrieval problems. An organized thinker fully in tune with Microsoft's file organization scheme I am NOT. (Fiddling with computers also bores me generally.)

LR surely has the potential to solve my many personal problems in organizing photos. I'm thinking of moving to LR for just that feature by itself.

-g

Edited by grober

Guest WPalank

Here's a REALLY dumb comment: If one were to define their DAM (Digital Asset Management) application of choice to be Lightroom, wouldn't it make more sense to go into Lightroom first?

Someone posted an earlier thread about a downloadable module that exports files from Lightroom to C1 as DNGs rather than Prophoto TIFFs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what I do now and am left with file control and retrieval problems. An organized thinker fully in tune with Microsoft's file organization scheme I am NOT. (Fiddling with computers also bores me generally.)

LR surely has the potential to solve my many personal problems in organizing photos. I'm thinking of moving to LR for just that feature by itself.

-g

Well... garbage in... garbage out, as we used to say :)

IOW, you will spend your time cataloging and organizing in LR instead of on the disk.

Personally, I find working with the disk directory a lot easier (and easier to backup) than with a database, and C1's output options (like organize shots by sub-folder) really helps there, but of course that's me. YMMV :))