Leica: Message to the customers of the LEICA M8

daniel

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stefan

thanks for the message. I am with Guy. I already have the M8 and would be delighted to do field testing on behalf of all of us.

Keep us updated on progress,

Woody Spedden

I am very embedded deeply with leica gear both the DMR and M8 so i am only happy to help anyway i can. In a couple hours as soon as my cut filter is in i will post the results for a temporary fix of this. At least owners have something to work with until the final solution

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it me or does the EOS 5D do everything we wanted from a digital M? It´s full frame (the M8 is not), it´s got that magic glow (the M8 glows too but in a purple way...), well... its not a rangefinder. But you wont see that in the photo anyway. :rolleyes:

It's a tank. It's ugly. It's heavy. So, no, it isn't what we all wanted.:confused:

A few weeks ago I was looking at used Contaxes at a camera store in Indiana, and a doctor asks me, uninvited, "Why don't you just buy a Canon?" The quoted post by Larry makes me feel the same way. That way being vaguely offended.

this is great and ecouraging news......

my love to leica cameras doesnot depend on what uve done with m8 and your PR....

but because of my love.. your reputation has now second chance... and i hope that the m8 will be soon the great promise all want to see.

just do your best with engeenering etc, and just stay in touch with your loyal customers who already have m8 and who are your potential customers (that incudes me too of course).

i feel better now about "leica" and "m8"...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Photo vs. software analogy :

For years, I and other fellow writers or / and designers/publishers have been plagued by $oft's apps suffering major flaws (W. quitting unexpectedly 10 times a day, losing hours of work in a split second).:mad:

To which $oft support consistently replied : "This problem does not exist, we never heard of it". :eek:

Finally, after 8 years, $oft released a new version (2004) which quits only, say, 10 times a month. Huge progress.:D

So, we only can praise Leica to acknowledge so quickly a problem which might have been touted as "non-existent" by some other gorilla on this market…

So, let's give 8 weeks to Leica, even much more, if necessary.:cool:

Thank you sir for your openness to discussing Leica's response to the owners and expectant owners of an M8. I had the opportunity to purchase my first Leica ever this past Saturday morning and have not been without it since.

I, too, however, will look forward to an "in Camera" solution to the majenta problem that has surfaced recently.

Sincerely,

Attila

I am sorry, I am really having a problem here:

why this round of applause? Ok, Leica admit there is a problem. WOW.

And they give a timeframe. Cool.

And how do you all know the solution they will come up with is not going to disappoint you?

Therefore my answer looks like this:

"Thank you for this information. We have spent a lot of money and sure are disappointed to see that Leica has abused us for guinea pigs or . even worse - were naive enough to believe we wouldn't find out...Anyway: we are looking forward to hearing about the proposed solution. Anything else but an in-camera-solution would not be acceptable."

A glitch such as this IR rendering issue is of a much different nature than the mechanical/electronic unreliability that plagued the earliest R8 and, years ago, the R4 cameras. That Leica is now able to ship newly developed, very complex products that work well to a reasonably high degree both mechanically and electronically means that their Q/A system has come a long way since 1996 (I refer to the DMR and, thus far, the M8.). The R8 was introduced in 1996.

It should not be surprising that some image rendering problem show up once cameras are in users' hands, and the cameras are being used in manners that beta testers may not have done. It is a much larger population of users. Users have identified an issue that, perhaps, had not arisen before. Stefan's statement on this forum is exemplary in indicating that they are seeking a solution to the problem. It is not unlikely that some other few issues may become apparent in the next few months.

I hope the problem is resolved quickly.

2 things I never ever doubted:

1. that the initial M8 would be far from perfect

2. That leica would do something about it in an effective manner, as always (R8 and M7)

What surprises though is that they can get away with this time after time (I am not moaning!), they sell the most expensive camera in it's field, they deliver a malfunctioning product, they come out with a press release some weeks later that they will solve it's flaws without giving any further details and they getting nothing short of a standing ovation ..... wonderous situation this, really wonderous ....

I am sorry, I am really having a problem here:

Therefore my answer looks like this:

"Thank you for this information. We have spent a lot of money and sure are disappointed to see that Leica has abused us for guinea pigs or . even worse - were naive enough to believe we wouldn't find out..."

Although I support your right to state your opinion, I must respectfully disagree. I am sorry, but I just don't see it that way at all.

When I have an M8 that I can use to sell images, without having bits of expensive and light restricting filter stuck on the front, then I shall quietly praise Leica for doing what they said they were going to do in all the pre-release hype.

Until then I shall be a little bit annoyed at the large chunk of capital expenditure sat in a box not earning its keep.

Somehow I doubt that N or C have any better percentage track record with new cameras than Leica. Maybe even worse over all their various models. Granted one would like Leica's stratospheric prices to imply zero defects - ever. But that will never be the case. R8 and R4 experiences were unacceptable.

Over 30 years I have heard innumerable stories of N and C items that fail, to include lenses. Only one instance here in Charleston, SC involved the main newspaper photographers' experiences with a second generation professional N digital SLR for which Nikon was (1) never able to correct the white balance, causing the photographers to stick with the earlier version with fewer pixels, and (2) so many of these cameras' neck strap lugs disengaged from the bodies, causing damage to lens and body, that the paper dumped N altogether and now uses C systems. They have had some issues with C cameras and lenses thus far. N and C users on earlier forum threads have mentioned cases where they have gone through several of the same AF lenses in a few years, because they flat out broke under pro use.

Until a new product has some field time, it seems only prudent that income earners carry backup equipment of known reliability. Granted, time tables from clients who have no patience may make this difficult. However, in the Navy, we used to call not doing that PPPPPR (P**5R). Translation: "Poor Prior Planning Produces Poor Results," and that's the polite version of the normal utterance of "P**7R."

I bought two R8's back in 1999 and both had electrical issues. Leica replaced both camera's no questions asked. Since then my R8's have worked flawlessly. Leica's service department, Leica's service and Leica's integrity, to me, are unsurpassed. Why do you all think that Leica, which values its reputation as much as any company in the world, would allow their reputation to be ruined by these issues with the M8? Makes no sense. They will fix the problems and within 60 days this will be a long lost memory. At least for me. I can't remember what happened yesterday anyway. Was there a yesterday? :rolleyes:

Dear Sir,

I've been visiting Leica Japan in Ginza to see the reality of how worse the problem is.

Insomuch as I tested those DEMO M8's, I couldn't detect the flaws. However, since the

first lot of M8s are already in Japan, and your strong and reliable commitment to

the users would be a great help for those who are willing to purchase M8s.

I placed my order in the beggining of this year and really look forward to enjoy M8 soon.

Thank you.