Low Light Photography Class Online using M8

afineman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to let the members of this forum know that I will be teaching an online class about Low Light Photography through The Compelling Image, an online photography school.

Photography - When Light is Low | Online Courses in Photography, Video Production and Multimedia Storytelling - Taught by the Professionals

My primary camera is the M8 and while students can use any camera they like in the class I will be able to give extra pointers to those students using the Leica M8 system.

Sounds interesting and a spot on topic for Leica RF users. Do you have a syllabus available for interested parties?

What is the structure of the course? Do you give assignments and have the student send in the results?

George

George,

There are some details on the link to the class listing that I posted.

And yes there will be assignments as well as critiques. The Compelling Image has a system set up for teacher q&a along with image by image critiques from the instructor to the students individually.

Plus if time allows I will be adding video tutorials to the class & possibly to the critiques as well.

Guest stnami
Taught by Professionals
.......that statement doesn't give the course instant credibility.

This thread is just a add or spam whatever you want to call it.............

stnami,

What would you like it to say? It is a true statement.

As for if this is "ad spam" I don't think it is.

I have seen people asking for advice on how to use the M8 in low light on this forum and in many cases I have responded. Based on the quality of my work I was asked to teach this class online and I thought it might help some members of this forum. You don't need to take the class if you don't want to. But if someone out there is looking to improve their low light photography work then they might enjoy this class, so what's wrong with telling them about it here?

Guest stnami

It's a friggin ad for your paid services not a service to the posters here out of the goodness of your heart. You want them to give you money , so cut the I want to help caper.

If the forum moderators are happy for back door advertising of this nature to be the norm so be it ............. maybe it would be polite to ask the administrators before you post your advertisement

Edited by stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Imants--

No offense, but I seem to remember you posting your gallery exhibitions awhile back (or was that me? Can't remember) :) And I see ads on the forum that have nothing to do with photography, even...

Not that *I* mind.

The thumbs-up guy is here, the various Leica add-on folks post, why shouldn't Aaron? Buyer beware too :)

Live and let live, eh? If the mods or admins were worried about this kind of thing (they don't compete with this at all) then the forum would be less useful IMO.

The "goodness of your heart" shouldn't be a requirement for posting, and a workshop can still be helpful for those who need it. The fact that it costs is a fact of life :)

(and if I thought I could get people to pay me a micro payment for a new set of M8 profiles--all so I could fund a 24 Lux--then of course I'd announce it here :)

Edited by Jamie Roberts
greed for Leica equipment

Soo I guess its OK to post gushing fashion ads about stupid unimportant things like artist and artisan and crumpler bags.

This site is mostly about one thing - rampant consumerism. Which lens is the "sharpest" which bag is "the best" Its all BS. For many posts on this forum its not about using the kit, but about owning "the best".

Why is this post any different than any other offer for sale or back door advertising? Perhaps its because its about an intangible asset that you cant show off on the front of your crumpler bag?

Yuk.

yeah..let's get back to the class. for me it sounds interesting and not too imposing. we live in a world where relentless advertising comes from every inch of space within sight or sound so i can also understand why it also becomes an emotive and protective issue. however it does often creep silently into this forum unnoticed in the guise of bags and this and that. everyone's entitled to opinions but pls let's keep calm and not get too upset! thank you jamie for being honest and funny, how much are those micro-payments, btw?..:)

Teaching is a public service, and getting paid for it isn't a bad thing. And teachers never get paid enough, considering all of the time they invest.

Let's be positive about photographers teaching photographers. We can keep all of our knowledge to ourselves, but that's not very laudable. Many of us have signatures with links to our photos or business web sites, so that's advertising too and not for a public service.

Guest stnami
No offense, but I seem to remember you posting your gallery exhibitions awhile back (or was that me? Can't remember
).......I never asked anyone to pay to view or buy anything:)

Don't see any advice other than pay me and I will tell on this thread............... most offer atleast some free advice if not all to other members of this forum

Edited by stnami

Well, another member caught a lot of grief (and got banned from FM forums for that too btw) for posting a link to his photograpy courses in his signature....

There is a fine line between pointing out a service one is offering and advertising. I'm not sure which side this one is on, as the subject is very interesting for the users of the forum, as it touches on one of the alleged problems of the M8. Personally I would have placed an ad in the B&S and referred to that in this case.

Edited by jaapv

jamie, thanks for the supportive feedback.

jaapv, thanks for the suggestion of of the b&s section, i had forgotten about that part of this forum. if i end up doing another one of these classes in the future i will look into that. but as it stands for this class i am not getting paid much and i don't have a budget for advertising it.

if people want to see my qualifications they can check out my bio and resume along with my work on my website.

and for what it's worth, i have posted plenty of free advice to this and other forums before.

I have reported this thread to Andreas for his approval.

If you ARE wanting to advertise $250 a pop courses on the forum, it would indeed be courteous to ask his permission first.

This forum (and others like it) cost a LOT of money to run and provide as a free service to thousands of members. There is a link at the top right hand of the main bar to take you to the advertising rates page.

Spam is removed as quickly as we can get to it, aided by members who click on the "Report Post" icon on the left of each post. If we have missed any, please let us know.

Aaron is one of the good guys. I have a habit, when I do some transaction over the forum, like buying a Digilux 3 a few days ago, which goes outside the B&S, to donate an equivalent amount. Maybe something like that could solve this one.

Edited by jaapv

).......I never asked anyone to pay to view or buy anything:)

Don't see any advice other than pay me and I will tell on this thread............... most offer atleast some free advice if not all to other members of this forum

Imants - nice to see you back... I've missed the breath of freezing air your posts add to the forum.. :)

... also I'm still working out what you could teach people about using a camera in low light...

My free on-line course below:

1. Don't expect dark scenes to look like daylight in the finished image. If it's a dark situation, you'll get a low key image. That's part of the fun of it. When shooting:
  2. open your lens to its maximum aperture
  3. make sure you're working with an appropriate ISO. On the M8 I find 1250 is usually fine, but I do use 2500 from time to time
  4. select a shutter speed that will give you an exposure that is correct for your subject. If you want to blow highlights or block shadows, thats fine - but it's better if this is a decision rather than a mistake. With the M8 this usually means you have to work manually - don't let this frighten you.
  5. focus carefully - if you're not sure, bracket the shots if the subject's not moving around a lot...
  6. hold the camera VERY still (unless you like shaky "art" shots. Don't be afraid of using a monopod or a tripod
  7. if you do a lot of this stuff, invest in fast lenses - they really make a difference

Any other suggestions from philanthropic list members?

Edited by chris_tribble

By the way - Aaron - respect for the excellent work on your site. I prefer your work to Imant's... I also might have to grovel as I note from your promotion that you're also talking about using flash ... an area that I know b***er all about as I've spent most of my life avoiding using it - especially on Leica's...

Now I suppose I have to start ducking....:D

Edited by chris_tribble