D-Lux 4 and Adobe CS3

Guest Paul Jenkin

Guest Paul Jenkin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a D-Lux 4. However, because I use a number of plug-ins which only work with Adobe CS3, I will need to use that programme to convert RAW files and then apply the filters.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, however, has an Adobe download been produced that allows RAW conversion for CS3? If so, I'd be extremely grateful if someone would send me a link to it.

I've seen an Adobe download for CS4 and that mentions all sorts of techno-babble about linear DNG and other stuff I don't understand. What I'm looking for, if it exists, is a simple solution to what I think should be a simple problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Paul.

The rwl files produced by the D-Lux 4 include lens profile data that should be supported by the RAW processor. Please see: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-post-processing-forum/89598-what-d-lux-4s-raw-file.html . Providing support for this feature is apparently not simple, because Apple has supported neither the D-Lux 4 nor the Panasonic LX3 in its Aperture program.

Guest Paul Jenkin

Thanks for the response but, as I'm not as computer-literate as many, I'm not sure what "The rwl files produced by the D-Lux 4 include lens profile data that should be supported by the RAW processor" actually means. Also, I didn't mention - nor do I use any Apple products.

That said, the link you provided included a note from Jaapv which says that to run the images through Adobe Photoshop CS3 it is necessary to pust them through Adobe's "DNG Converter" - whatever one of those it. This, apparently, produces 50Mb files (this shouldn't be a problem as my D700 produces TIFFs of this size).

Therefore, it seems I'm now on the hunt for a DNG Converter, so I'll Google it and have a look at the Adobe website. Why the hell can't camera manufacturers agree a common standard for RAW like they did for JPEG............??:mad:

Cheers. Paul.;)

Guest Paul Jenkin

Hi Dan.

I will certainly be using it but, as I said in my original post, I use some plug-ins that only work with CS3. My favourite as of now is Nik Software's "Silver Efex Pro" which is a great film simulation engine.

I have absolutely no reservations about using the pre-packaged software but I definitely want to have the choice of using CS3 and the associated software I have already accumulated.

Cheers, Paul.

I have had problems with CS3 and the D-LUX4 raw files as I thought the DNG coverter (the version which works with the D-LUX4) only worked with CS4?

But would be delighted to be proved wrong!!!!!!

I too cannot understand the Adobe "note" about DNG conversion and mosiac, linear, etc etc. so for now using Capture One to process the raw files to tiffs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The rwl files from the D-Lux 4 include lens profile data that makes it possible for the RAW converter to correct for spherical and chromatic aberration of the lens.

The lens is an excellent lens, but part of what it accomplishes comes at the expense of introducing spherical and chromatic aberration. Those problems are correctable by software if the RAW converter can read the lens profile and make proper use of it. The only ways to eliminate these two optical problems in a camera of this size are to have the proper software, or to go backwards to the D-Lux 3.

Capture One, which comes with the D-Lux 4, is able to use the lens profile and correct automatically for sperical aberration. Correction for chromatic aberration requires Capture One Pro.

I do not know the current state of Adobe's support for the lens profile data. Without this new feature, the lens would be unacceptable in some circumstances. The jpegs are corrected by the firmware in the camera before being written to the SD card.

I hope you will not have a lot of difficulty learning what support Adobe has for the lens profile. This blog entry:

Lightroom Journal: Camera Raw 5.2 and DNG Converter Available

describes the support at that time as an "temporary solution":

In a future release Adobe plans to update the DNG specification to include an option to embed metadata-based representations of the lens compensations in the DNG file, allowing a mosaic DNG conversion. In the interim Adobe recommends only converting these files to DNG to allow compatibility with third party raw converters, previous versions of the Camera Raw plug-in or previous versions of Lightroom.

Adobe Camera Raw for LX3, et.al. only works with CS4.

DNG converter works with CS3 or CS4 and makes big files

Today Adobe announced a new DNG standard that allows corrections to be specified, so a new version of DNG converter could have correction built in (if Panasonic wanted to make it?)

Guest Paul Jenkin

Thanks for the help, guys, much appreciated.

I think I'll end up doing a two-step process. Firstly RAW conversion via Capture One and then finish off work on either TIFF or JPEG in CS3 if I wasnt to apply a film simulation programme such as Silver Efex Pro.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any future upgrade to CS3 so I can see whether I prefer the resuts from the two-step processing or, if it ever becomes viable, processing in one go via CS3. You never know, I might be converted to Capture One if it's better than CS3.....!

Regards, Paul.