30 x 40 inch M8 Prints

davidada

A question of Jack and David

If you are not doing a lot of post processing with the M8 files to get the large prints that you have been sharing on this site, what are you doing about the magenta casts that have been talked about with this camera.....or are you not experiencing that with your M8's. And sorry if I missed this and you talked about it before.

Thanks both of you for sharing the files and prints with those of us waiting for the M8 new shipments.

Scott Gregory

I always use my Epson (currently a 2200) at the highest number of dots when I print final output.

When deciding on a PPI value I choose one that will divide evenly into the 1440 or 2880 of the printer DPI. I was making this choice based on not having to interpolate as a result of choosing a number that gives me a "left over."

So I use 180 or 360 rather than 300 or some other number with the wrong factor.

Is this sensible, or am I overlooking the fact that the printer is having to do math anyway no matter if I choose an even divider?

Thanks for any clarification.

On the magenta cast so far I have ignored it,ie if the file exhibits it I either lose it or try and fix in PS,generally the type of shots I have been taking have been outdoors and no synthetic black materials.

On the whole the M8 does a great job of the color fidelity of a scene - I never use Auto white balance, I either set the temp or take a white balance.

Used some phase one profiles today and several of them cut the magenta cast - not surprising seeing as you are asked to use an IR filter on the phase one scanning backs.

Also great success with raw developer I find it more powerfull than C1 definite buy for 99 bucks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Used some phase one profiles today and several of them cut the magenta cast - not surprising seeing as you are asked to use an IR filter on the phase one scanning backs.

Also great success with raw developer I find it more powerfull than C1 definite buy for 99 bucks

Me too David and Brian is looking into creating a tone curve for the M8 including the IR

Cut filter. That could be very useful

Thanks for all your help on this thread.

Woody Spedden

While in Washington,DC for the weekend, I was lucky to be able to visit David Adamson's studio. I met David and saw for myself the gorgeous prints he made with his M8 files and the prints he makes for his clients. Truly impressive! David was generous with his time and advice for my own digital printing and my new M8. I also print files from my Hasselblad H-1 and Imacon 39 MP back on an Epson 7800, so I was glad to see how well the M8 prints compare with what I get from medium format. Seeing is believing. Thankyou, David.

i will need to see a print to believe a M8 is as good as 5x4. The subject might be godd for colour, but nothing else there to judge a camera's capabilities.If there had been a range of colours and textures and depth. Then you decleared the M8 is 5x4 quality it might carry some weight.

Looking at the E Puts shot against the Canon it does not have the detail of the Canon, it might be sharper. No way would i think my 1DsmkII is approaching 5x4 in quality in any area. i think maybe enthusiasm played a part here and no one should take this a definitive result.

Kevin.

I have a Kodak SLR/n (no AA) as well as a 1DsmkII, admittedly I don't have Leica lenses on it......... it ain't 5x4.

I bet the M8 is stunning, maybe breath taking, in the excitment you might think wow it's like 5x4. Give the dust time to settle and your eyes clear then you will see again what the M8 is and what 5x4 is, both very good, but for different reasons. Lets see some different subjects, with colours and texture, one blue print doesn't make a summer. Neither can I blame any one for getting euphoric when simething makes you happy.

Kevin.

Thanks Lon, it was fun to see another M8!

I actually showed Lon a bunch of different prints not just the blue one and seeing is believing.

I will say this for the last time then I give up:

Not all files are created equal, a lot depends on subject, film type shooting conditions etc.

The M8 does not equal medium format digital.

The M8 is superior to any 35mm film ( again at an objective technical level) Sorry but true!

The M8 files when processed correctly produce prints at 30x40 inches comparable to 4x5 at 30x40 inches.

I have not seen this before with all of the DSLR's and I have processed files for nearly all and yes I think it can be in part attributed to the lack of an AA filter.

Guest guy_mancuso

David at some point when I get a image that I want to put in my house from the M8 , I am going to have you print one up for me. I'm dying to see a big print from these files

Thanks Lon, it was fun to see another M8!

I actually showed Lon a bunch of different prints not just the blue one and seeing is believing.

I will say this for the last time then I give up:

Not all files are created equal, a lot depends on subject, film type shooting conditions etc.

The M8 does not equal medium format digital.

The M8 is superior to any 35mm film ( again at an objective technical level) Sorry but true!

The M8 files when processed correctly produce prints at 30x40 inches comparable to 4x5 at 30x40 inches.

I have not seen this before with all of the DSLR's and I have processed files for nearly all and yes I think it can be in part attributed to the lack of an AA filter.

So maybe you are correct, for a moment think what news you are bringing to the world of photography. From a sub 35mm camera with only 10mp's we can expect large prints that look like they were taken with a 5x4 camera. They will never be able to supply the demand.

Kevin.

David and Jack too, thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from folks who work with this stuff daily.

David, I don't mind your test shots. I seldom ever go to a modeling agency to hire a professional just for test shots. Hell, I don't even get in the car to drive somewhere to take test shots. My test shots are routinly taken in the driveway. If I had a parking lot they'd be taken there!!

Thanks again for your time and I think most of us know what you're trying to say. Just remember there are a lot "photographers" living in the technical side of the brain that have to question absolutly every sentance uttered. They haven't the ability to "render" a persons comments into common sense. They live in a world devoid of any grey.

Well, got my first post out of the way, now lets go a few rounds !! :D

Ray.........

David and Jack too, thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from folks who work with this stuff daily.

David, I don't mind your test shots. I seldom ever go to a modeling agency to hire a professional just for test shots. Hell, I don't even get in the car to drive somewhere to take test shots. My test shots are routinly taken in the driveway. If I had a parking lot they'd be taken there!!

Thanks again for your time and I think most of us know what you're trying to say. Just remember there are a lot "photographers" living in the technical side of the brain that have to question absolutly every sentance uttered. They haven't the ability to "render" a persons comments into common sense. They live in a world devoid of any grey.

Well, got my first post out of the way, now lets go a few rounds !! :D

Ray.........

Very well said Ray, especially for a first post! Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Jack

I have just returned from a visit to David Adamson's Washington studio. David could not have been a more gracious host -- I had taken him up on his suggestion that photographers come by to take a look at the enlarged M8 prints. After I was admitted to the studio and while I waited for David, my first surprise was seeing a black and white proof print of actor George Clooney, apparently awaiting final touches, set out on one of the work tables. On close inspection I had not realized that he has such large, movie star eyes.

Mr. Adamson entered the room, and I don't think he could have been more enthusiastic about his M8 prints. I had hardly finished my introduction when he pulled down his latest example for me to view -- he has now several in addition to those appearing on this forum. I had been expecting the "blue wall", but instead he showed me his latest. He made a number of quick technical comments about the print, pointing me here and there, and I can't say I followed all of them. I was staring at this immense, crisp image (another outdoor urban scene) while at the same time trying to maintain my composure by trying to forget who stood beside me as I viewed it.

To visualize the size of the print while sitting at your computer screen, imagine a fairly large dinner table that comforably seats four -- that's the size of the print and surrounding border. The images are as sharp and as dimensional, almost sculptural I would say, and are as saturated as they appear in the web images. He prints on heavy, matte paper. He also showed me some smaller black and white prints at 2500 ISO which showed the pleasing grain effect to which he referred on this forum. Of course, I had numerous questions and wanted to see more, but I had already imposed sufficiently on his time.

A side note. We both, as it turns out, have an interest in using some of the older LTM lenses on our new M8's. I had brought along a 5 cm Summarit 1.5 for him to see. He topped me with an even longer Summarit that he has been using with his M8. It has been producing a pleasing tonal effect, he said.

A dizzying experience for me to be in the presence of one of the best in his field and see the work he was producing, not the least of which where those astoundingly large, astoundingly clear M8 prints. I'm an 8 x 10 man myself, on an Epson 890.

Because the M8 is capable of producing such large, crisp images, it has introduced a new art form: the large format digital image produced from a small, unobtrusive hand held camera. And because of the much larger number of photographers who will now be able to produce these images, the chances are greater that new talent will emerge to exploit this new art's large format capabilities. 35mm photographers can now print big with no apologies for image quality, a quantum leap almost on a par with the introduction of the original Barnack.