Olympus-R

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the events in the R world my plans will have to be recast. I was hoping for an R10 in the near future with the DMR as second string. But now, well, there are other threads for that.

Anyway, I still need a back-up body to my DMR when I am away from civilisation. It need not be anything fancy, and I am willing to accept 4/3rds. The Digilux3 gets ridiculous prices used on e-bay, so that is out. and I could not find Panasonic equivalents. Any recommendation as to Olympus bodies? Light and still decent IQ are the catchwords - with the price another factor. And where to get the adapter? Any advice is appreciated.

Jaap, your post is timely.

I have used Olympus DSLRs since the E-1 came out a few years ago. Since this is not my "primary" system I have balanced lens and body choices with cost and currently have three lenses - 14-54 & 50-200 and 50mm "pro" spec lenses and the 1.4x teleconverter. I currently use these with the E-520. I have in the past used the E-1 and E-400, and at the time I bought the 520 offered the best balance of cost and functionality. If I were buying right now I would probably go for the E-620.

To see what you can do with the 520 with the 50-200 and 1.4 converter have a look at this: Best of Sealed Knot

As to the second point in your post, I'm just waiting delivery of an R-4/3 adaptor that I bought from eBay last week. It is purported to have focus confirmation. The 2x magnification bothers me not one jot or iota for the sort of applications I would consider using such a setup for. As soon as I get it I'll try it out, of course.

For a good intro to 4/3 and what's available I can recommend this site: Four Thirds

Let me know if I can do anything else to assist.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

Interesting, thanks Bill. I was looking at the E400 and E 500, because they have CCD sensors.
You are most welcome.

It's also worth bearing in mind that IS is built into the body with the E-series. it'll be interesting to see what it makes of my 180 f4.0...

Regards,

Bill

Interesting, thanks Bill. I was looking at the E400 and E 500, because they have CCD sensors.

Jaap, Modern CMOS sensors offer as good quality images as CCDs in most circumstances, and give the twin benefits of lower power consumption and cooler operating temperatures. :)

With the events in the R world my plans will have to be recast. I was hoping for an R10 in the near future with the DMR as second string. But now, well, there are other threads for that.

Anyway, I still need a back-up body to my DMR when I am away from civilisation. It need not be anything fancy, and I am willing to accept 4/3rds. The Digilux3 gets ridiculous prices used on e-bay, so that is out. and I could not find Panasonic equivalents. Any recommendation as to Olympus bodies? Light and still decent IQ are the catchwords - with the price another factor. And where to get the adapter? Any advice is appreciated.

Let me have a (maybe not so) crazy suggestion ...

If you can overcome and forget the "shock" of having a 5mp today, IMO the E-1 is still the best body Olympus has ever made.

No fancy scene or artsy modes but absolutely pro level in its time, its Kodak CCD sensor is still able to give you some of the best colours around. Rugged and weather proof, somewhat less hefty than some current models, though it shines for stability with the grip. The shutter is real buttery and silent, to my ears (at least) pretty close to that of a (classic, we say?) M8.

Last but not least, actually one of the best of its features is its 100% finder, clear and bright, something that could come real useful as you plan to use the R lenses in manual focus.

Not difficult to find used at a good price, even some rare new ones are still occasionally available. In any case the shutter is good for 150k actuations, so nothing to worry about buying used.

Now, as I said, if you forget about the 5mp ... love mines.

Edited by ASpes

hoi hoi jaap

well to MF on a 4/3rds body, you wil need a larger OVF,

not all that common but heres the list: E1, E620, E30, E3

cancel E3 as its heavy and still a tad pricey at $1kUS (but it is the biggest finder)

cheapest option with CCD and no liveview is E1, but its only 5Mp

check out this place, you might find a deal in Europe

Buy & Sell - Fourthirdsphoto Forum

another choice might be a Panny L10,

has a weak low pass filter, resolution is known to higher than any other 4/3rds body

and of course, what about G1 ?

cant help you with R adapter, sorry geen idee

i hesitated to suggest this, but to be full and complete

Sigma SD14 are selling very cheap out of Germany

you might be more used to the AA less look

you can get conversion mounts for Leica R on ebay instead of using an adapter

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGMA-SD14-,-CUSTOM-LEICA-R,-MOUNT-REPLACEMENT-KIT,-PRO_W0QQitemZ250447312458QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090619?IMSfp=TL090619188006r670

http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/Leica-R%20Pro/sd14mount.aspx

and a flickr stream R on SD14

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/

Edited by Riley
additions

another choice might be a Panny L10,

has a weak low pass filter, resolution is known to higher than any other 4/3rds body

I find this to be an interesting comment. Although I've not done any rigorous testing of my L1 or G1, to my casual eye, the G1 appears to have higher resolution than the L1. I'm curious as to the source of your comment that the L10 has higher resolution still ... care to share?

I was in a similar situation a few months back and wanted a smaller,cheaper, af alternative to the dmr.. that could double as a family snapper too. I got a e510..couple hundred bucks.. and found a f2.8 zoom they make..another 250+ it is okay.. for obvious reasons it is not a dmr.. small toy viewfinder, gets in the ballpark and the auto focus works, on rull auto it is a good point and shoot.. I will not be getting more zuiko lenses though.. the file quality is just not there..maybe the other new olympus models are better.

If I had to back up the dmr with anything but another dmr..I would try to find a used or demo E3 and live with the extra weight just for the better viewfinder..but now you are up past a grand for a body and a lens..

maybe that digilux3 is not a bad way to go..or just hold out til you find a good priced dmr.

Edited by paulmoore

I find this to be an interesting comment. Although I've not done any rigorous testing of my L1 or G1, to my casual eye, the G1 appears to have higher resolution than the L1. I'm curious as to the source of your comment that the L10 has higher resolution still ... care to share?

a couple of review sites have been using L10 for 4/3rds lens tests (including Zuiko's) due to higher resolution

DPReview and Photozone.de

G1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Review: 32. Compared to (Resolution): Digital Photography Review

L10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Review: 29. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

while one could suggest that chart (MTF50) shot images are not real world shooting (and there is some truth to that, M8 didnt rate highly) users common to both marques tell me that Panny's are definitely sharper more detailed images

Edited by Riley

Hi Jaap,

I have an E-1 & E-3. I have used them with 90cron and 2X TC-R. The adapter was the first one out from Camera Quest (expensive). Here are my observations with you in mind.

These two cameras are about the size of the Nikon F2.

They are weather proof and rugged. The E-3's IS does work.

They have penta prisms and not penta mirrors, finders are the brightest and the E-3 is the largest. They can be focused with most manual focus "legacy" lenses without new focusing screens.

The weight might even balance the heavier R lenses better.

The E-3's image quality is a very very close match to the E-1's. Both of these cameras have AA filters a bit stronger than average (IMO). This might reduce the finest detail, it does give a nice tonality rendering. A good trade IMO, depending on size of prints. Noise can be an issue at higher ISOs. I hasn't got in my way, but I usually shoot at lower ISOs.

4/3rds work best at tele and in macro, with its 2X crop and greater DOF. It make a nice compliment to the M8's working range. In macro stopping down with no auto aperture can leave you in the dark...

The mid range ZD lenses are also weather proof and are sharp in a clinical way. They don't render like the R lenses.

The E-1 is a very quiet camera (M quiet).

I have stayed away from the smaller Oly entries. The mFT cameras like the E-P1 might make a nice smart rear lens cap for a big tele...:)

Bob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

All very interesting and thought-provoking replies.

Marco has solved my dilemma by offering me a Digilux3 for a price I could not refuse :) Add an adapter ( I found a focus-confirm one at 60$, I wonder what it is like, but the price makes it very low-risk) and it will be just what I want: a simple DMR backup of reasonable quality should my DMR break down in the middle of nowhere. The kit lens gives the normal range, so I can leave the second M8 home, and the 35-70+28 for the DMR, thus lightening my bag a bit. An added bonus will be the D3 with the Apo-Telyt 180/3.4 as an ideal camera to carry when walking in the bush when the mercury hits 110.:)

a couple of review sites have been using L10 for 4/3rds lens tests (including Zuiko's) due to higher resolution

DPReview and Photozone.de

G1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Review: 32. Compared to (Resolution): Digital Photography Review

L10

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Review: 29. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

while one could suggest that chart (MTF50) shot images are not real world shooting (and there is some truth to that, M8 didnt rate highly) users common to both marques tell me that Panny's are definitely sharper more detailed images

Interestingly, I checked out the L1's performance and (to the extent it's relevant to real world performance) see that it falls quite a bit below that of the G1: Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review: 24. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review. I also noticed that the L10's performance likewise falls below the G1's performance, but by a lesser degree.

Of course, I assume all of these tests are done using the kit lenses that come with these cameras, so this test isn't really a fair comparison of each camera's sensor performance. Add to that the fact that they're comparing .jpgs and not RAW images and it becomes impossible to say for certain exactly how the sensors compare to each other v. the sensor/lens combos.

That said, though, comparing my L1 and G1 using the L1's lens on each to take real-world photos makes it very clear that the G1 is the better performer of the two.

Of course, I assume all of these tests are done using the kit lenses that come with these cameras, so this test isn't really a fair comparison of each camera's sensor performance. Add to that the fact that they're comparing .jpgs and not RAW images and it becomes impossible to say for certain exactly how the sensors compare to each other v. the sensor/lens combos.

DPReview use the Oly50/2 set at F6.3. Even though their own lens test suggests the lens is sharper at F4 but apparently shooting 4/3rds at F6.3 is Askey policy. L1 & L10 used the 50/2 to shoot the chart, but i think G1 and i know GH1 use their Panny kit lens

Edited by Riley

I would strongly recommend the Panasonic G1.

when it comes to manual focussing, its electronic viewfinder is by far superior to that of all DSLRs, even whithout employing the zoom function.

It is true, with the kit lens the EVF gets noisy in darker environment, but attach a Summilux to it and the situation improves dramatically. In addition you have the advantage to being able to actually see your object through the viewfinder where OVF are already too dimm.

Under normal daylight conditions you can stop down to f:32 if necessary whithout any degradation of the viewfinder image quality. That means the lack of the automatic aperture has become more ore less meaningless.

With the G1 you can exaktly jdge the depth of field and its EVF allaows you to judge the appearance of highlights and shadows in the final image prior to shooting!

Last but not least, the G1 is lightweight and relatively inexpensive.

Best regards,

Alex

Ehh.. I tried that one, and was happy that I bought it with a two-week return option. The sensor is really too small to render the microcontrast of lenses the way I like it, the DOF gets too deep and I do not like the ergonomics. Just imagine mounting a 1.5 kg telelens on it. The poor thing would fall to pieces.;)

Edited by jaapv

Ehh.. I tried that one, and was happy that I bought it with a two-week return option. The sensor is really too small to render the microcontrast of lenses the way I like it, the DOF gets too deep and I do not like the ergonomics. Just imagine mounting a 1.5 kg telelens on it. The poor thing would fall to pieces.;)

Just imagine to mount a 4kg lens to it - e.g. a Canon FD 4,5/600mm. It works great. Nothing falls "into pieces" as you don't carry or use a biger lens by just holding or supporting the body!

The DOF gets too deep? You might want to take a look at these pics( 1 2 3)

Since you have titled this thread "Olympus-R" I was under the impression that you are familiar with FT and its possible limitations. Since the sensor dimensions are the same for mFT how can you damn mFT for its small sensor?:confused:

Nowadays, it is more true than ever that the most limiting factor is located behind the camera, but most people are not willing the realize that... :rolleyes:

Edited by ALUX