How to use collapsible 50mm Elmar f/2.8

akiralx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got an old 50 Elmar f/2.8 for my M3 (and maybe M8) but I'm unsure how to mount/use it.

At the moment I can't move the focus ring off infinity. Should I be mounting/unmounting it at any aperture setting?

When extended I can rotate it a quarter turn but there's no click to imply it's fixed for use. When unextended or partially so I can rorate it through 360 degrees. I'm assuming the little dot to mark the aperture should end up at the 12 noon position.

Thanks for any help.

These lenses have an infinity lock that you must release to focus. Depress the button on the focussing tab.

The extended position has no click or lock, just twist it (right when looking from the front) against the stop and it will be fixed. The full rotating when extended halfway is normal behaviour as well.

From your post it seems the lens is fine.

Edited by jaapv

Its years since I had one of these lens.But from memory first you pull the lens out from the closed position and give a slight turn (left/right)? this should lock the little bayonet prongs. Then you use the little button on side to focus first pushing it to release.Don't confuse the locking method with focusing.Once the rest of the forum wakes up you'll get the exact process.

Enjoy it

Rob

Just a note:

Do not collapse this lens when mounted on a M8. Otherwise it is ok to use on the M8.

Just got an old 50 Elmar f/2.8 for my M3 (and maybe M8) but I'm unsure how to mount/use it.

At the moment I can't move the focus ring off infinity. Should I be mounting/unmounting it at any aperture setting?

When extended I can rotate it a quarter turn but there's no click to imply it's fixed for use. When unextended or partially so I can rorate it through 360 degrees. I'm assuming the little dot to mark the aperture should end up at the 12 noon position.

Thanks for any help.

Many thanks - the little lock fooled me, now it seems to work fine. Has a very smooth focussing action with quite a long throw so accuracy should be easy.

One thing, I assume the entire lens rotating when focussing is normal as I just noticed there are two aperture scales on each side of the lens - as otherwise when close focusing one scale would be virtually out of view at the 7pm position.

Yes it is normal for the whole lens to rotate. The double aperture scale is there because you can fix the lens barrel in any of three positions - doesn't make any difference. There is no chance of damaging anything when you collapse the lens on the M8. I have the newer version, Elmar-M, which has the same dimensions afaik, and I collapse it all the time. The only thing that could conceivably happen is that you could scratch the paint on the inside if you mount it collapsed and carelessy.

Edited by jaapv