28 mm R lens vs 24 mm R lens

Joachim123

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to purchase a mint 28mm or 24mm R lens for my R4. Since I cannot try the lens out first; does anyone have any suggestions as to which lens is best? I am finding that the 24 mm lenses are in much better condition. The 28 mm lenses that I have seen seem to be pretty well beat up.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars for a lens in good condition. I have read that the 24 mm is not as sharp. Any suggestions.

I would like to purchase a mint 28mm or 24mm R lens for my R4. Since I cannot try the lens out first; does anyone have any suggestions as to which lens is best? I am finding that the 24 mm lenses are in much better condition. The 28 mm lenses that I have seen seem to be pretty well beat up.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars for a lens in good condition. I have read that the 24 mm is not as sharp. Any suggestions.

I think they are both very good lenses, despite the Minolta heritage of the 24mm lens, but some lens reports ranks the 28mm Elmarit slightly higher. Color Foto gave the 24mm lens a 76.2 and the 28mm lens a 83.2, but Chasseur d' Images gave both lenses 4 stars (meaning very good). To give some context, Color Foto rated some of the legendary Leica lenses in the mid-80's (out of 100) -- e.g., 35mm Summicron M ASPH, 50mm Summicron M -- and Chasseur d'Images generally gave these legendary lenses 5 stars (out of five). Who knows what exactly those numbers and stars mean, but you should probably consider these wides as just a notch or two below the legendary lenses, but not dogs by any means.

I have had a 28mm lens in the past and found very little use for it. I also had a 24mm lens which virtually became standard on an OM2n for mountain landscape. I now standardise on a 35 & 50 Summicron M

Joachim123, I have the R version of the Elmarit 24 f2.8. It is a very fine lens, for me far superior than the 28. The 24 does take some time to master. Check out posts by rob_x2004 for a vast collection of extraordinary images he produced using the M version. Identical design in both mounts. The key is to get the front of the lens square & perpendicular with what you want the plane of vision to be. I love this lens for film. Both the M8 & the DMR crop out some of the best features of the 24. With a film camera, it's just awesome. It's relatively fast. You can get up real close or take a vast landscape. It's a real versatile lens. Good contrast, very sharp. You should be able to buy it used at a good price. If you have a relationship with a Leica dealer, they should be able to lend you one or you could rent it for a day & then have the money go towards buying it. Good luck.

I've had my 24 mm since 1980. Took it overseas with me and my R3 The images were exceptional... still are. You do have to ensure the lens is level or you'll get some weird angles, especially with buildings and trees, or anything that is pointed straight up.

You can't beat it for landscapes, either.

Joachim123, I have the R version of the Elmarit 24 f2.8. It is a very fine lens, for me far superior than the 28. The 24 does take some time to master. Check out posts by rob_x2004 for a vast collection of extraordinary images he produced using the M version. Identical design in both mounts.

I currently have the 28mm Ver. 2 Elmarit-R, and the 24 ASPH Elmarit-M, both are state of the art lenses. However the 24mm Elmarit-R is a very different design to the M lens.

The 24 ASPH M, as the name indicates features an ASPH element, the R lens is from the mid 1970's, and was originally designed by Minolta.

I have previously owned a 24 Elmarit-R, and in my experience the 28 Elmarit-R (last version 55mm filter and built-in shade) performs at a higher level.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 24 R is a Minolta design and is sharp on the focal plane on and off axis. Off axis but even well within the bedth of field, it is not sharp. The center stays sharp always within the debth of field requirements. . This is well known defect to the design. I sold mine for a 28/21 combo. The original 28 is a more than decent lens. The last on is superb.

Edited by tobey bilek