M9 on track

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"I, for one, am glad there will be no more R series, but I'm really afraid that the S2 will be the final nail in the coffin for Leica. It's the wrong system at the wrong time and I feel like all of the R&D resources should have gone into the M system, which is really the only product line that offers something different from what is currently offered from other, larger manufacturers."

Exactly right. Common sense is not so common these days.

Leica need to update the M8, but if Leica cannot sell enough S2's where or where will the profits come from; and how much money will they lose in the long development of the M9- a 2 year process on from now? Trouble ahead, unless maybe they get a serious partner? JL

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I'm convinced that the next M - whether it's an M8.3, or an M9 - will accept existing M lenses. It would be madness to do anything else.

Why on earth would the next M NOT accept existing M lenses?

People seem to have lost their heads since Friday evening.

I actually hope they don't find a solution to the IR problem. What a pain in the ass for those of using both an M8 and M9 if the M9 no longer requires filters. Not only would that be a major expense down the drain it would be a PITA screwing filters on and off all the time. But leave it to Leica.... who knows?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I actually hope they don't find a solution to the IR problem. What a pain in the ass for those of using both an M8 and M9 if the M9 no longer requires filters. Not only would that be a major expense down the drain it would be a PITA screwing filters on and off all the time. But leave it to Leica.... who knows?

That is really not a good comment.

Maybe you shoud go and help out with this thread.

Edited by rob_x2004

That is really not a good comment.

Maybe you shoud go and help out with this thread.

Second that. What a PITA for us film users, which are still quite a big majority in the M camp, to have to screw and unscrew the IR filter all the time when moving from film to digital. Which is part of the reason why (together with other issues) many decided to give up digital Ms altogether for the moment being waiting for better times. Leica better fix the IR issue on the next M if they want to get that part of their user base back. More, technology is constantly evolving, and after a few years there will not be any working M8s around anymore, while there will be a M10 or whatever will be called and there will be film Ms; now, do we really want to drag the IR issue into the future? Not a very smart move from Leica, if they will do so, and what for? To not make unhappy someone who spent a few bucks on a few filter? I don't think so, and I surely hope Leica also doesn't think that way. :D

You could dedicate each lens to a certain body. Most likely the m9 for the wide-angle lenses and the m8 for the tele lenses.

Regards

Steve

"I, for one, am glad there will be no more R series, but I'm really afraid that the S2 will be the final nail in the coffin for Leica. It's the wrong system at the wrong time and I feel like all of the R&D resources should have gone into the M system, which is really the only product line that offers something different from what is currently offered from other, larger manufacturers."

Exactly right. Common sense is not so common these days.

Leica need to update the M8, but if Leica cannot sell enough S2's where or where will the profits come from; and how much money will they lose in the long development of the M9- a 2 year process on from now? Trouble ahead, unless maybe they get a serious partner? JL

2-year process?? Who told you that:confused:. The discussion is whether it will be early next year or PMA. And whether a stop-gap M8.3 will even be needed.

Why on earth would the next M NOT accept existing M lenses?

People seem to have lost their heads since Friday evening.

Having just dropped in to this thread after a weekend of walking, taking photos, planning a new project and thinking "My! How glad I am I've got the M8 to work with..." I came back and saw this little firestorm.

As the M series is the one working camera system that Leica have on their list, and as Leica lenses are the bread and butter the company depends on, I don't see them shooting themselves in the foot over that one.

Come on guys - look at what people like Brett or Noah Addis are doing with the camera in completely different market sectors. Full frame? It's not an issue. Better high ISO performance? Maybe ...

But as of now I've got a camera system that lets me do paid work like this Mathias Eick at the Vortex (where discretion was the key to being able to work in the tiny space of the Vortex club using mostly a 21 and a 75), or this The English Seaside: Sussex, where I happily took along a single body + 28 and 135 when I know I'd not have chosen to carry another system 15 miles on a hot Saturday.

So OK - the list had been a bit short of topics - but is this mix of scare mongering and speculation helpful? Maybe post a few more photos to the other lists?

Best

Chris, thanks for that poignant reminder of the 20 or so suicides whch take place at Beachy Head each year. Close to home for me, I was born and went to school in Eastbourne.

[For those who do not know, a 600ft cliff in the south of England where, only recently, the inconsolable parents of a severely handicapped child they'd lost to meningitis jumped with the body of their child in one ruck-sack and the child's toys in another. So sad.]

Edited by marknorton

Mark / Nicole - thanks for the comments. Back on topic - and with no disrespect to those who have taken their lives at Beachy Head - I'd hate to see Leica taken over a cliff by some of the negative speculation we've been seeing here. I want to feel that my investment in the M system is going to have a longer life than that of any M bodies I own. It's the lenses which make the images - and whatever success the M8 has had must have been due to the fact that it is compatible with the latest Leica products and lenses that are 50 or more years old. That surely has to remain the case.

Chris, I agree, the investment in lenses far outweighs the investment in cameras and the ability to use them in any new camera is of paramount importance.

The only exception for me would be goggled lenses which impose a fixed geometry on the rangefinder and I would not want any possibility for a revised up to date design to be constrained in that way.

Second that. What a PITA for us film users, which are still quite a big majority in the M camp, to have to screw and unscrew the IR filter all the time when moving from film to digital. Which is part of the reason why (together with other issues) many decided to give up digital Ms altogether for the moment being waiting for better times. Leica better fix the IR issue on the next M if they want to get that part of their user base back. More, technology is constantly evolving, and after a few years there will not be any working M8s around anymore, while there will be a M10 or whatever will be called and there will be film Ms; now, do we really want to drag the IR issue into the future? Not a very smart move from Leica, if they will do so, and what for? To not make unhappy someone who spent a few bucks on a few filter? I don't think so, and I surely hope Leica also doesn't think that way. :D

The voice of reason.

Charles,

If the M9 is 'IR immune' and you're also using an M8 and swapping lenses between them wouldn't it be simpler just to leave the IR filters on lenses when shooting with the M9? The only downside would seem to be a slight risk of flare from the filter but you're already taking the same risk with the M8 anyway.

Pete.

Actually, Pete, the use of an IR filter improves colour rendering on all digital camera's even if they are supposed to be IR filtered. I use IR filters on all my DMR lenses, and would expect the same improvement in the M system from 35 mm upwards.

If the M9 is 'IR immune' and you're also using an M8 and swapping lenses between them wouldn't it be simpler just to leave the IR filters on lenses when shooting with the M9?

The M8 corrects for colour drift towards the corners that's caused by the use of the filters - especially on wide angle lenses. If the M9 didn't need filters then it wouldn't be correcting this effect, so you get a colour drift (cyan?) toward the edges of the frame.

Half jokingly I said a while ago that if the M9 didn't need filters there's be people whinging about it on the forum <grin>. Leica get the brickbats whatever they do.