Hessenpark News: Official - No R10: no FF M9 (yet)

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@andybarton

Not what he said tonight, but what was told several times before - quite often they avoided the name "R10" and I was told several months ago that it won't have a R-bayonet.

It's some Leica-camera which incorporates S2-technology and can be used with old R-lenses, S-lenses and new AF-lenses - nothing has changed.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hint that the R solution, whatever that may be, will be "Full Frame" "

So, it's not from Leica, is full frame, Makes me think of an alliance with a manufacturer who does have a FF DSLR. The equivalent of the M lens coding program to change the mount on R lenses to suit the new camera wherever it's from?

Hint that the R solution, whatever that may be, will be "Full Frame" "

For Christ's sake, there're too many whacky definitions of full frame already, like you've explained yesterday. Only dimensions with exact numbers would make sense now. :D

Everybody knows what I thought about 4/3, I'm glad they've listened to me ... for once at least. Thanks for your effort.

You're nothing if not modest, Simon. I'm quite sure the Digilux 3 sales figures told them all they needed to know without your 2-cents worth...

Don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger. I am passing on what has been told to forum members, in Germany, by Stefan Daniel, tonight.

If it's not what you have heard, then I am very sorry.

The "R" name was officially dropped a month or two ago, so it's been known for that time that there would be no camera called "R10". However, since we have no idea what they were going to call it, it's a useful shortcut that we can all understand.

Herr Daniel has said tonight that there will be "No Leica made digital R camera". Now, if Leica are actually going to make a camera that takes R lenses, but call it something else, then Herr Daniel is having a big joke with us, and frankly, wasting my time. I don't think that they think like that.

Herr Daniel has said tonight that there will be "No Leica made digital R camera". Now, if Leica are actually going to make a camera that takes R lenses, but call it something else, then Herr Daniel is having a big joke with us, and frankly, wasting my time. I don't think that they think like that.

At Photokina, there was a strong hint that the R10 would be R6.2 sized and Maike Harberts was to head up development. Since then, the economy has tanked, Nikon has the D3x (and the furore surrounding its price), maybe Leica have looked at the forecasts and costs and said, "no can do", and looked instead for another solution.

Fuji, after all, have in the past taken Nikon cameras and done their own thing. Maybe they could be doing something for Leica...

One final piece from Hessenpark:

"They consider that the M lens line-up is complete, but that's NOT to say that there will not be new lenses, smaller and better than their predecessors.

Big smile on S.D.'s face when asked about a new 35 Summilux"

Sounds like that's all folks, and they are off to the bar...

Fuji, after all, have in the past taken Nikon cameras and done their own thing. Maybe they could be doing something for Leica...

The first Digilux was a badge-engineered Fuji. That would piss Panasonic off big time :)

Surely, Fuji just work over Nikons? Where would the body come from?

Interesting times, and more questions than answers, as ever :D

So, it's not from Leica, is full frame, Makes me think of an alliance with a manufacturer who does have a FF DSLR. The equivalent of the M lens coding program to change the mount on R lenses to suit the new camera wherever it's from?

A Leica program for mount changes of R lenses? From Leica R to... EOS or Alpha? That could be a "good enough" solution for R users... ?

One final piece from Hessenpark:

"They consider that the M lens line-up is complete, but that's NOT to say that there will not be new lenses, smaller and better than their predecessors.

Big smile on S.D.'s face when asked about a new 35 Summilux"

Sounds like that's all folks, and they are off to the bar...

...so only lens replacements for existing designs... I had expected a new Tri-Elmar lens... A smaller and better (no focus shift) Summilux-M 35mm is a possibility... I cannot think of many others in fact... Maybe 24mm and 21mm Summarits? 50mm Summicron? (All of them replacing actual models of course...).

Edited by rosuna

I see that one of the other rumors (sic) sites have picked up on this thread already, but are telling the EXACT OPPOSITE story

He really ought to read more than just the first post :D

If Leica is not listening to me then at least someone else is listening ... :p

It's Carl Bretteville who has been doing the texting - I am merely a conduit for his munificence.

:)

I am sure that there will be a lot more coming after the weekend, when people get home - especially on the German side, of course.

However, I am very pleased that, as always, this forum comes up with the goods :)

Herr Daniel has said tonight that there will be "No Leica made digital R camera".

Funny that nobody picked up on this - to me, if the translation is right, etc etc, this sounds quite obviously like "there will be ... made digital R camera" (fill the dots with your favorite manufacturer). Otherwise, why specifying "Leica made" when he could have said just "there will be no digital R camera" - period?

So there might be hope after all. In the meantime, one can use R lenses on Canon via adapter, and on Nikon & Pentax via the great Leitax adapter - I adapted 3 lenses and I am going to modify my 4th soon, and it works great (though in stop-down metering).