Hessenpark News: Official - No R10: no FF M9 (yet)

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using appropriate adapters, you can attach your R glass to a Canon, Nikon or even a Sony SLR (IIRC)

In every case, you will have to use stop-down metering, but you will get focus confirmation.

Always a compromise, but if you can't wait another 2 years to find out what Leica's "acceptable" solution is going to be, then you don't have much choice if you don't want to go out and get a DMR. Unless you want to sell your lenses that is.

I am seriously thinking about a D700...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, I am thinking about starting a reef with my R lenses! This is so disappointing from a company that touted backward compatibility as part of its heritage in both M and R lines. My photograph making has fallen 90 percent while I waited for this announcement. I never thought Leica would turn its back on its faithful. They must be in life or death mode.

Sure they must be desperate. If they don't get the S2 off the ground in the next couple of months and revolutionize the pro market with it (including setting up a pro service) they'll be the laughing stock of the industry and probably be done for once and for all.

Using appropriate adapters, you can attach your R glass to a Canon, Nikon or even a Sony SLR (IIRC)

{snipped}

I am seriously thinking about a D700...

Just remember Andy... the only fast *adapter* solution is Canon's (or a 4/3 camera). If you're going to shoot Nikon, there's no going back to your R body easily; you need to change the mount. You can change back, but not quickly.

The good news about that is that I would trust a mount change more than the adapter; the bad news is it's a real commitment.

Regardless, if you end up with a D700 you will like it a lot. A D700 and a 50 R Lux would be a fabulous combination.

It's too bad the 35 R Lux won't work on either the Canon or the Nikon full frame dSLRs (same for the 19 R Elmarit and a couple of other lenses).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago I put my faith in the one and only= SONY.

So I purchassed the Beta video system with quite a few tapes, When it wasn,t selling Sony killed it.

Then like an idiot I went to Video 8, photographed my children through the growing years.

Now the Video 8 is also dead, all those people who shot their families home movies like me are stuck with

Tapes but no cameras for them, my video camera is stuffed, over the years it cost me a lot $$$$$$$$$$$$$...Thanks SONY.

So don't trust the electronic world.

If Leica had produced the R10 more of your money would have been spent and who knows

Leica could have killed it after a couple of years then what!..... more complaints

Remember Leica's Digital cams D1, D2, and D3 plus the DMR..... RIP...

If you want to use your R lenses, then use them for what it was intended for....FILM.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Ken.

Edited by hamey

Doug.

I have just spent a couple of hours projecting some Kodachrome for old times sake.

Well after mixing some of my older chromes with the Kodak 100G, GX and some Velvia and Provia.

I kept shaking my head with disbelief, it can't be but it's true.

This Kodak 100G and GX Velvia, Provia are superb, sharp and vibrant, yes Kodachrome was sharp but the colour especially on dull days was Awful.

Kodachrome was a great Slide film, in it's time, but I am now more convinced the new stuff is better.

Kodak must be of the same opinion.

RIP..... Kodachrome and once again Thanks.

Ken.

Just remember Andy... the only fast *adapter* solution is Canon's (or a 4/3 camera). If you're going to shoot Nikon, there's no going back to your R body easily; you need to change the mount. You can change back, but not quickly.

The good news about that is that I would trust a mount change more than the adapter; the bad news is it's a real commitment.

Regardless, if you end up with a D700 you will like it a lot. A D700 and a 50 R Lux would be a fabulous combination.

It's too bad the 35 R Lux won't work on either the Canon or the Nikon full frame dSLRs (same for the 19 R Elmarit and a couple of other lenses).

All true. I'd like to be able to use the 28 Elmarit and the 60 Macro-Elmarit with digital again. Since there won't be anything coming from Leica, changing the mount is now a seriously feasible option, IMHO. Maybe even pick up an 80 Summilux. However, it is all dependant upon Leitax making mounts for the individual lenses - more research required!

If I could get any money for them, I'd sell the rest of the R glass I have, but they are practically worthless now.

Kodachrome was a great Slide film, in it's time, but I am now more convinced the new stuff is better.

Kodak must be of the same opinion.

RIP..... Kodachrome and once again Thanks.

Ken.

No argument from me. Kodachrome was a big stepping stone to were we are now. Having compared the new slide films with the DMR it's clear that film of any kind will survive only as a niche market, and this is what upsets me most about the 'no R10' news. Anything other than a Leica-quality digital that uses R lenses seamlessly will be a step backwards.

Sure they must be desperate. If they don't get the S2 off the ground in the next couple of months and revolutionize the pro market with it (including setting up a pro service) they'll be the laughing stock of the industry and probably be done for once and for all.

I must have read similar posts a thousand times over the years. Leica is still here a lot of the others are not. It is really just Nikon, Canon and Pentax left, with Nikon and Canon the only ones offering pro level cameras.

Robert

Hi Jamie,

It is possible with a mirror shave to get both those lenses to work at every distance on Canon full frame unmodified - without impacting the viewfinder or operation. I did it with a dremel, but for the less comfortable with such things there are a couple of individuals offering such modifications at a modest cost.

I fantasize about making a powered adapter that will stop down the lens for me allowing me to focus and shoot more quickly, it would have to stop down before metering on a canon body though.

Regards,

Daniel

Doug.

I have just spent a couple of hours projecting some Kodachrome for old times sake.

Well after mixing some of my older chromes with the Kodak 100G, GX and some Velvia and Provia.

Ken.

Problem is, you will not have that pleasure again as E-6 Films fade away.

Problem is, you will not have that pleasure again as E-6 Films fade away.

Have you ever covered 50% of a Kodachrome slide with aluminun foil and projected it for 10 min? If you than remove the aluminum foil you will find that the part that was exposed to light has bleached out visibly. If you do the same with an E6 slide (one one of the currently available slide films) you will barely detect any bleaching.

Furthermore, I have e.g. Velvia sildes that have now reached an age of approx. 15 years and still look just as good as recent slides.

I think the problem of insufficient color stability of E6 films (C-41 films and color paper as well) was predominantly a problem of the seventies. Or it can be attributed to inappropriate storage.

I read some Kodak info on the 100G,GX and VS and they rated an 80 year longevity, I also have E6 films

from the seventies and still as vibrant as ever, only some CT18 AGFA that have some purple tinge.

Taken with Minolta SRT101 & 50mm 1.4 and Ektachrome 160 asa back in 1970 in Detroit Michigan USA.

Second shot looking at Windsor Ontario Canada and was quickly shot from the Ambassador bridge and

It was freezing, the slides are nearly 40 years old and still havn't lost their colour.

It's not a very good scan but still looks good in projection.

Cheers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hamey