Got a new M8.2 today - feels different?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just got a new chrome 8.2 to replace my black 8.2 due to a little problem with it, and I notice that the focus feels a little 'stiffer' - am I going mad (as the focus is on the lens, obviously!) or is this possible?

PS - if you're considering the black/chrome thing my advice is to see the chrome one before you dismiss it- it doesn't look anywhere near as nice on the web as it does in the flesh. I'm well pleased with it!

I've just got a new chrome 8.2 to replace my black 8.2 due to a little problem with it, and I notice that the focus feels a little 'stiffer' - am I going mad (as the focus is on the lens, obviously!) or is this possible?

PS - if you're considering the black/chrome thing my advice is to see the chrome one before you dismiss it- it doesn't look anywhere near as nice on the web as it does in the flesh. I'm well pleased with it!

Dunno about the focus thing, but I agree that the chrome is nice in the flesh, as you say. I have both finishes (on M8s though, not 8.2s) and its hard to say which I prefer. The black is stealthy, the chrome classy.

The real crunch will come when I come to sell one of them in a month or so (I don't REALLY need 2!). Identical ages, same Passport remaining etc....................so which one goes??

Just got my M8.2 this week also in chrome to match my Mp. Some like the worn black paint some like chrome but for me I like the way the chrome looks, and it wears like iron. My Mp is now 6 years old and has only one light bright mark on one side of the chrome by the neck strap. Unlike the M8.2 there is no raised thing on the MP by the strap lugs.

I found that the lenes mount is very tight on the M8.2 even when my MP was new the lenses never mounted that tight almost hard to turn to lock them in.

Jan

I agee with you about the chrome finish.I have just bought a chrome M8-2.The focus on mine is just the same as my M8.I have been using it mainly with a 21mm Lux which is noticibly stiffer than other lenses on both cameras.This is not a problem but due to the internal focus mechanism.As for black paint for a camera finish it is a personnal thing ,but there is now way I would pay almost £4000 for a camera with a paint finish that will look 20 years old after 1 year of use.

Brian:D

I would think it has to do with the cam and the rest of the mechanism that links the focus ring on the lens to the rangefinder. Maybe it will become less stiff with time. Do you find that this is the case with a particular lens, or any lens? I would imagine there is some adjustment that can be made in the camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

It's the same on both my lenses (35 and 75 'crons)

It's not 'sticky' - it's very precise - but the black camera felt more intuitive. Then again this one has taken only 2 test shots so far and the black one had done 1500 approx.

When I got the black 8.2 new in April I had never used a rangefinder so it took a while to become used to it - I had no comparison then so I can't say if it was the same when it was new.

Maybe someone else who has had multiple M8's could comment on whether they do loosen up a bit?