The Eye-Fi pro supports RAW file transfer

alexc

3 m jpeg from dlux4 is very fast, almost instant. actually it is more or less the same speed as if you insert the card into the reader. if 10 m is three times more this will work for me. again it is an option you can always use the card as regular card, however in a lot of instances it is very convenient.

in regards to the power there is an option on existing card (i have not tried it yet) - relayed upload. this is the quote from the site:

With relayed uploads, your camera and your computer don't have to be on at the same time for your media to transfer. If your computer is off (or inaccessible), the media will be whisked to the Eye-Fi servers. Next time you turn your computer on, the media will be delivered right away.

That is a pretty interesting little card. I was reading the website earlier today when it was featured on engadget.com and noticed that to use the ad-hoc feature one either need to have two wifi systems on the studio computer or have the computer disconnect from the internet connection (well at least in my case where the computer use wifi for internet access also) OR use a hardwired LAN connection and use the wifi to deal with the card.

tossing a bunch of 10meg files online and then back down could possible slow the bandwith a bit.

I will have to play with the idea of getting a WiFi dongle and set it up for Ad-Hoc.

This sounds too good to be true. A wifi transmitter inside a little SD card?! If that's the case, then a CompactFlash version isn't too far off and I won't have to spend $700 on a wireless transmitter for my Nikon D300!

In the meantime, my M8/D-Lux 4/PowerShot cameras will benefit!

Has anyone tried it with a Mac laptop yet? Do I have to create my own little network or can I assign the card a real IP address?

I am using this card now with MacBook Pro. It is a simple set up process and photos go directly to IPhoto, however you can set it up that photos will go anywhere you want.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm ordering one today for my D-Lux 4. If I like it, I'll get one for my M8, too.

Problem with my new D-LUX 4. When I import RAW-files to my Mac (iPhoto) the files are shown as .RWL and these can obviously be processed in Capture One (program that comes with the camera) but are not recognized in Photoshop. That's not cool at all. What to do?

Problem with my new D-LUX 4. When I import RAW-files to my Mac (iPhoto) the files are shown as .RWL and these can obviously be processed in Capture One (program that comes with the camera) but are not recognized in Photoshop. That's not cool at all. What to do?

Which version of Capture One are you using? Did you download the latest update of it?

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying out the Eye-Fi Pro with my M8 today and it's not bad.

You need to set up a little local manager application which on the Mac is of course a breeze. Then you configure the wireless networks you want it to use, which folder on your computer to upload the images to and you're set.

If your computer is on it will normally upload every shot you take straight into your chosen folder. If your computer is off, or you are not near it, it will upload when it is in range. You also have the option to upload into the cloud (the Eye-Fi servers), from where they can be transferred to your computer.

For those concerned about power consumption or bandwidth, you even have some control over what gets uploaded by choosing to upload only PROTECTed images. Upload time is about 10-30s per 10Mb raw file (depending on e.g. signal quality I suppose).

I will have to use it a bit longer to get an idea of battery life in the various configurations. WiFi does tend to use a lot of power. Also, the range, the relayed (cloud) upload times and reliability.

What is a little annoying, although these days almost inevitable, is the requirement to register the card, and use a web application to configure it. This shouldn't be. Also annoying and heard before is that you can't tell what has and hasn't been transferred without checking the manager application or your pictures folder.

If you take the annoying bits for granted, and don't use the USB connection, you may never have to remove the card from your M8 again :eek: