Camera Profiles in LR 2.3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tried to find an answer to this one via the search option, but I need a clear and simple pointer please.

Where can I find a camera profile/ calibration for the M8 with UV-IR that jives with LR 2.3 grinding away on a XP SP3 platform.

And once found what do I do with the file (i.e. where do I put it!)

Many thanks in advance.

Guy

The camera profiles should be in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\ Adobe Standard and or Camera.

They should all be available to you for each specific camera the file is from.

You can move other profiles from other cameras into the M8 folder under Camera of path above or you can move them into,

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw

And then those will also be available to you for M8 DNG's.

You can also use the Adobe Profile editor program to change any of the profiles and save them under a different name.

I have tried to find an answer to this one via the search option, but I need a clear and simple pointer please.

Where can I find a camera profile/ calibration for the M8 with UV-IR that jives with LR 2.3 grinding away on a XP SP3 platform.

And once found what do I do with the file (i.e. where do I put it!)

Many thanks in advance.

Guy

Guy, I share your interest in mastering this hidden aspect of tweaking M8 files. I thank Shootist for his clear explanation of where the profiles are placed but I find that under the Leica M8 listing are four profiles with confusingly similar names. Does LR pickup any of these profiles? If not, how does one select the most appropriate and apply it? I fear I have been running on 'auto' to this point.

To use other profiles from other cameras or make your own profile from one of the supplied profiles you first have to open the Adobe DNG profile editor and load a M8 DNG file. Then go into Base Profile box and select "Choose External Profile". Browse to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\ Adobe Standard and or Camera folders and choose a profile to use (yes it is hit and miss) or just choose one of the M8 supplied profiles.

Then you can make changes to it and save it, actually you have to select Export M8 Digital Camera Profile from neqar the bottom of the File menu item, giving it a unique name to either the folder path above or the C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw folder and then that profile will be available in the develope module under Camera Calibration "Profile" drop down list or in ACR in PS/Bridge.

Hello Shootist

Thank you for your help. I have had a look in the file on my C drive and I can now see all the dcp files with names starting with Leica*****. Great.

Now my next question is this. When I am in LR and I have a look in the camera calibration part where you can select a calibration I do not see any item called Leica something, just adobe this and that. How do you get LR to list a selection called Leica something.

I am sorry about my ignorance over this as this part of computers is something I need to get upto speed with.

There are other profiles mentioned on the web that you can download a zip file and unpack, but none of the contents of the zip are dcp files just a file icon that windows cannot open (you know the annoying one you always get when windows doesnt recognise it).

It would be so good if you can withdraw the veil of mystery for me!

Guy

Sorry my mistake.

The profiles need to be placed in the,

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw folder.

I just moved some from that folder to the other path I listed and they then didn't show up.

But this is on my work PC. I though for sure they would show up if you place them in either folder. At least that is what I thought when I was home this morning.

Oh Well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry my mistake.

The profiles need to be placed in the,

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw folder.

I just moved some from that folder to the other path I listed and they then didn't show up.

But this is on my work PC. I though for sure they would show up if you place them in either folder. At least that is what I thought when I was home this morning.

Oh Well.

I am a little disappointed that the procedure for encouraging LR to recognize camera profiles has proved so elusive. Surely someone can elucidate?

I am a little disappointed that the procedure for encouraging LR to recognize camera profiles has proved so elusive. Surely someone can elucidate?

I don't find it elusive. First the program must know which camera the profile is for. So you start with loading a camera specific DNG file into the Adobe profile editor. then you use a current profile from any camera make model you want. After you make changes to that profile you export it the correct folder so LR or ACR can see it. I see nothing different with this then any other program that allows you to make profiles.

Problem may be that if you are viewing a Leica M8 file in LR or ACR you don't have the option of loading any profile stored anywhere on you computer.

I personally don't see this as a problem. If I really want to see what other make/model camera profiles look on a specific image I just load that image it the profile editor and then load that profile.

Shootist, I think I can follow your workflow. Thank you. I was just wondering why, having moved the profile (according to your previous posting), it didn't show up in the profile list as expected. Did you resolve that particular problem?

Shootist, I think I can follow your workflow. Thank you. I was just wondering why, having moved the profile (according to your previous posting), it didn't show up in the profile list as expected. Did you resolve that particular problem?

Well it seems that some of the supplied profiles in the All User subfolder of Docs & Setting have special pointers for LR or ACR top use them and then others you have to change or just export them from the profile editor and place them in the Camera RAW folder in Your User Name subfolder for them to show up in LR or ACR.

If a modified profile is not in the C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw folder LR or ACR won't see them.

By default the profile editor selects this folder as the Export destination. Never tried to save the exported profiles anywhere else. But I will right now. Saving the mod profile in any other folder doesn't work. So LR/ACR only looks in the Your User Name subfolder for additional profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

The two beta versions are just earlier versions. You don't need them.

The "Adobe standard" versions will give what Adobe believe to be correct/pleasing color rendition.

The "Camera" versions are designed to give similar color rendition to the standard in-camera JPEG.

Sandy

The two beta versions are just earlier versions. You don't need them.

The "Adobe standard" versions will give what Adobe believe to be correct/pleasing color rendition.

The "Camera" versions are designed to give similar color rendition to the standard in-camera JPEG.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy...

I also have ACR 3.6 & ACR 4.4 in the Lightroom drop down... But they are not in the Camera Profile folder... Are these legacy profiles?... Can/Should I delete them?... Where are they?

Thanks Sandy...

I also have ACR 3.6 & ACR 4.4 in the Lightroom drop down... But they are not in the Camera Profile folder... Are these legacy profiles?... Can/Should I delete them?... Where are they?

Those 2 profiles are built into the ACR program, you can't delete them (unless you decompile the ACR program, find them and delete them then recompile the program).

The first one, ACR 3.6, was the first version of ACR that supported the Leica M8 camera. The second one, ACR 4.4 is when Adobe updated the built in profile for the M8.

Those 2 will always be in the drop down list even if someday you are using ACR 6.5.

Personally I like the 4.4 version for most of my color M8 images. I have that set as my default profile for all new M8 RAW (DNG) files when opening them in ACR.

ACR3.6 and ACR4.4 are profiles that duplicate the rendition of Adobe Camera Raw versions 3.6 and 4.4 respectively (previous versions of Lightroom, effectively). There's no need to delete them, in fact they can be useful, as the don't have any of the "hue twists" that can make the newer profiles gives unexpected changes in hue when adjusting exposure.

Sandy

• 3 months later...

I've got an M8.2 and have installed the latest update to Lightroom 2.5. From what I've read up above, I should somehow tell Lightroom that I'm shooting my negatives with an M8. From the standard Lightroom screen, what should I click on, and how do I set this so Lightroom uses it automatically?

I also have other cameras such as the Nikon D3. How do I switch back and forth, so Lightroom uses the appropriate settings for which camera I'm working with. Can Lightroom do this automatically, based on the EXIF data?

What changes might I see on my monitor display (laptop) or in images posted on the internet, based on what camera profile was used in Lightroom?

(Is this the information that goes with the "Camera Calibration" setting box that shows up in Lightroom2 at the bottom right in the "Develop" module?)

Edited by MikeMyers

I've got an M8.2 and have installed the latest update to Lightroom 2.5. From what I've read up above, I should somehow tell Lightroom that I'm shooting my negatives with an M8. From the standard Lightroom screen, what should I click on, and how do I set this so Lightroom uses it automatically?

I also have other cameras such as the Nikon D3. How do I switch back and forth, so Lightroom uses the appropriate settings for which camera I'm working with. Can Lightroom do this automatically, based on the EXIF data?

What changes might I see on my monitor display (laptop) or in images posted on the internet, based on what camera profile was used in Lightroom?

(Is this the information that goes with the "Camera Calibration" setting box that shows up in Lightroom2 at the bottom right in the "Develop" module?)

No you don't have to tel LR anything. It already knows the files you are looking at are Leica M8 DNG's, or Nikon Dxxx NEF's or whatever. That info is carried in the EXIF/Metadata of each image.

I don't have LR installed on the computer I'm sending this from but in the develope section you go to the camera profile section (not sure what it's called as I rarely use LR anymore). But once you find it it will have a drop down for the available profiles.

I found the section on Camera Calibration. However, there is no drop down box with the information. There are two choices up at the top, "Profile" (grayed out) and "Embedded", but the only choice for Embedded is "Embedded". Is there someplace else where I should look?

I found the section on Camera Calibration. However, there is no drop down box with the information. There are two choices up at the top, "Profile" (grayed out) and "Embedded", but the only choice for Embedded is "Embedded". Is there someplace else where I should look?

Then there is either something wrong with your LR install or your DNG files.

The only time I get embedded in that dropdown list is if I'm looking at a JPG, TIFF or PSD file in the LR develope module.