Retrophotographic - reducing lines!

MPerson

Andy - yes they are good, bought stuff from them before, but they don't carry APX! Can't get to the APX page on Retrophotographic so guess I will have to get it from Silverprint instead.

Nigel has also dropped the alkaline fixer I use :mad:

Hi,

The post from Martin Reed at Silverprint explains what is happening at Retro. Terrible experience with Retro Photographic. Don't know how to proceed. Help needed. - Page 8 - APUG

I haven't dealt with Nigel Dear for quite a while - I found him unreliable, unhelpful and a poor communicator.

I have been doing business with Retro, but I haven't noticed the reduction of the lines untill I wanted some new bulk film.

I know they have dropped the bulk rolls of Foma I was looking for.

It makes sense that Retro would drop those lines which were slow movers.

How long would it take most of us to work through 30 metres of black and white film?

The Agfa APX page does not appear in the 'Films' drop down.

Go to the 'About Us' page, then press the trolley button. In this condensed menu Agfapan films still have a page, well they did as of 20:00 on the 7th June.

I have found that he has also cut the range of developers he carries. He is selling off his stock of Ilford chemistry. Did Retro ever carry much of a range of Foma or Kodak chemistry?

The only ID11 I found locally is a 5 litre box. Jacobs and Jessops, in Hull at least just don't want to know about analogue. They don't even have stock codes to check the price.

I was gonna bite the bullet and order some HP5 or Tri X if I had to.

Jessops in Chester still had Ilford chemistry on the shelf last time I was in there.

I tend to go to Calumet for basic b&w processing stuff these days. I am fortunate in having a branch about a mile from the office, so it's an easy pop-in at lunchtime. They also still keep fridges full of film.

Just round the corner from them, in Manchester, is another film supplier. Their name escapes me now, but their warehouse is like a massive photographic jumble sale, but they too have two or three fridges full to bursting with film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

The post from Martin Reed at Silverprint explains what is happening at Retro. [

Keith - Many thanks for that. Missed that totally and I read APUG a couple of times a day!

Looks like Silverprint get my order for APX and will order my Moersch chems direct from Moersch if Silverprint don't cater for my needs..

The developer I have been using has been Rodinal exclusively, because I have been using film of no faster than 100ASA in 120 & 4x5.

I have not had a need for 400 stock. The last I bought was Forte 4x5.

I did use 35mm Forte 400 marketed as Classic Pan and sold by Retro It is grainier than Foma & Agfa 400, but maybe it is my scanner's fault exaggerating the appearance of grain?

Well... Forte has gone and Foma 400 isn't quite 400.

Firstcall have Ilford Pan 400, which is not supposed to be available in the UK. It is, as far as I know a version of Ilford HP5 with looser manufacturing specs. It is about the same price at Firstcall as Retro sold Foma 400, 30M cans.