Sign in to follow this  
snaggs

M8.2 or MP+M9 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had an M8 for nearly two years, loved a lot about it, the crop was not as bad as Canon's 1.6 or Nikon's 1.5, but it still ate into lens character more than I would have liked. I eventually got used to the 28 Summicron as the replacement for the 35, but it still lacked the great peripherial character that my 35 Lux has on my M6 when shot near or at wide open. Leica lenses are sharp wide open, but they still spill that wonderful change of bokeh into the corners and any time I spent time editing M8 / 28 Cron shots and then looked at a nice Kodachrome shot with the 35, I really saw a big difference in the way the lenses draw.

Despite what you may think, it really is OK for other photographers to want to pass on the M8 and wait until a full frame M appears and post about it here. And it would be nice if you respected the needs of others instead of constantly trying to apply your logic to our logic.

This is a forum for Leica users, I am one and I am a potential customer of Leica digital products, especially after I am done with the Kodachrome Project. If I or others can not come here and discuss what we want in a forum that Leica truly does read without catching flak from other members, then we are not going to come here as much and then it becomes your little M8 club. I don't think that is a good thing...

Not all photographers think, shoot and want the same things as you do. If you can't accept the fact that some members have opinions and needs that are different than yours, then I think you have much bigger problems than defending what works for *you* about the M8.

It might be high time that some of you open *Your* minds to what others want instead of telling us to open our minds to your way of thinking.....with all due respect, of course....:-)

I think this is one of the wisest and most reasonable things I've ever read on this forum.

Mani

+1.

The M8 is not my cup of tea - never has been, never will be, for all the reasons I have previously stated.

That doesn't make it a bad camera, or indeed me a bad person. I don't lose sleep over it, and I regard all attempts to "convert" me to the M8 "faith" because I don't "see the light" in the same way that I do doorstep callers trying to "save my soul".

So for now I'll get on with life and continue to wait patiently for a FF camera with either a "proper" M form factor or something completely new.

Regards,

Bill

Regards,

Bill

+2

The Leica MP is a work of art but would never exist without the horribly flawed M3 and M2. The M2 is the most beautiful Leica M of them all, despite its minor failings like no exposure meter, max. 1/1000 shutter time, no weather sealing, 1/60 flash sync. (or whatever - never use the thing with flash). That was the film age.

Enter the M8 - they needed to start somewhere. I find it most remarkable that Leica's first digital M is still happily alive and kicking after nearly 3 years since it's first introduction. Same applies to the DMR, that has been out of production for some time and still is second to none.

Note, small factoid, I treat my equipment with minimal respect and M8 LCD is still free from any blemishes, it is not especially scratch sensitive in my experience.

Buy one if you want one, otherwise not.

Horribly flawed M3 & M2??

Oh well... I would love to know how they are so horribly flawed, I was under the impression that at the time they came out they were revolutionary cameras offering the best a photographer could want. Of course, technological developments and evolution occurred, and now we have the Nikon D series, Canon 1d series, etc: this, though, doesn't make the M3 & M2 any more horribly flawed than a Ferrari Testarossa would make a Ford T horribly flawed... maybe you forgot the introduction date for the M3 & M2, which were respectively 1954 & 1958 - about 50 years before the MP.

<sarcasm> </sarcasm> I know I forgot something

Vieri, please read again

But as far as the quality of Leica's lenses remaining intact with the M8, I do not agree. They do look great on the M8, but they look different than when on a film M. When I think of the way a lens draws, I think of not only how it draws behind the subject, but into the corners as well. The difference is hardly noticeable when shooting at mid to small apertures but becomes more apparent when at or near wide open. The outlying areas of character literally are cropped out of possibility when using the M8.

I agree that the lenses do look different with an M8 but aside from the Noctilux, Leica lenses, aspherical in particular, are very well corrected in the corners. When I shoot with my pre-asherical 35mm cron vs. my asperical 35mmlux, the difference in drawing of these lenses is very evident with the M8.

Crop factor is a big deal for certain types of work.

I have a real problem with the current crop factors for photographing people....I really need a perfect FF 75mm and 90mm for placing human subjects correctly within an environment or studio set. Right now, I can only get about 67mm and around 100mm with the current 1.33 crop factor. 67mm is just a bit too wide and 100mm is way too long. The most important focal lengths for my type of work are not unavailable with the current crop factor and it is a major reason that I haven't invested into an M system yet.

Try Hexanon 60mm/1.2. A great people lens on RD1 or M8.

I use both M8 and MP.

Although not much bigger, the M8 just doesn't feel right in my average hand.

It is strange, but the MP is close to perfect inspite of the missing grip and thumb rest.

Also the weight seems perfect.

Not so with M8. I had to add a Thumbsup, grip and Luigi half-case to hold the camera comfortably. It's a personal thing of course. I don't like the new pumped up look though.

I don't care about scratchy LCD (you can put a protection foil if you care) but it becomes seriously poor picture quality in comparison to the competition. For the price of the sapphire glass you could get a D3 LCD now.

I do care about the lack of dedicated ISO and EV dials, RD1 has it done great.

The firmware improved , especially with the 2.004 rewind delay. The early problems of white balance and IR/cyan drifts are pretty much under control now, but I'd have hated to be an early adopter of M8. Missing is still the manual lens type input.

M8 retained the "rangefinder experience" but is a distant second to the MP as far as the pure joy of operation. IMHO of course.

<sarcasm> </sarcasm> I know I forgot something

Vieri, please read again

Even adding the after-the-fact quotes, though being kinda funny in itself, doesn't make it really sarcastic or funny IMHO - anyway, I guess everyone's idea of sarcasm is different.