Sign in to follow this  
snaggs

M8.2 or MP+M9 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not wait for the M9 and buy some Zeiss ZF lenses for your Nikon then you have the choice going forward to have both rangefinder and slr?

I have got 2 zeiss lenses for my canon and am waiting for an improvement to the M8.2 as I am still using my M6. I wanted to buy and M8.2 but then thought as it has already been around for 3 years they will probably bring something out that is better relatively soon and I would not be happy... as soon as something new comes out the whole forum will be saying how wonderful it is and better than m8.2... bla bla..

The zeiss lenses are really great despite some not so interesting opinions on the web- read diglloyd's reviews for more in depth info.

The zeiss lenses for nikon are excellent lenses. They're wasted on digital bodies though...the dynamic range just isn't there and the strong contrast of zeiss means lots of deep blacks with no detail. HOwever, I think the zeiss + nikon would be an excellent combination for shooting film....especially since many of the ziess lenses have very close minimum focus distances (25 2.8 and 35 2.0 in particular)

I'm in exactly the same position as the OP....I had intended to purchase an M8.2 and then decided to wait. I'd rather have a FF Digital rangefinder and a 2nd MP film body.....use the digital camera as a virtual polaroid to check lighting in the studio and shoot all of my real work on an MP with film. Unfortunately, the longer I wait the better an Alpa tech camera starts to sound

Well, I bought a Coolscan 5000 today and have decided to keep using the FM3a and all the AI-S glass I have for the moment.

I'm going to sell the Fujifilm S5 and 50mm f/1.4G and buy the Olympus E-P1 as a digital camera my wife can use.

Then, if Nikon do nothing but keep releasing big do it all camera's, I'll buy the M9.

I won't however be buying any Nikon AF glass, I'll put that in the bank, unless I get tempted by an MP

Thanks for the comments.

Daniel.

I agree, buy an MP and by the time the M9 surfaces you will be hooked anyway. If you enjoy film, why not enjoy it with the MP? It is an amazing, simple, perfect 35 MM camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Crop is not a factor.

That may be true if you start from scratch, ie don't have a film M. And if you have a lot of money to spend without using the lens to its fullest: you pay a premium for 21mm (3300 Euro) and you get just 28 (1550 Euro).

Crop factor is a big deal for certain types of work.

I have a real problem with the current crop factors for photographing people....I really need a perfect FF 75mm and 90mm for placing human subjects correctly within an environment or studio set. Right now, I can only get about 67mm and around 100mm with the current 1.33 crop factor. 67mm is just a bit too wide and 100mm is way too long. The most important focal lengths for my type of work are not unavailable with the current crop factor and it is a major reason that I haven't invested into an M system yet.

My opinion:

the introduction of the Summilux-M 21 and 24 are the strongest indicators that the next step will be an M9 with full frame of course.

I would not want to buy a Summilux-M21 for 5.000 € when it would transform at an M8 or M8.2 into an 28mm lens.

Robert

Really that is just not the case. It may be the case for you at the distances you are use to working at but that doesn't mean you can't get the same shot with the M8 crop factor. Just move in slightly with a 50mm lens or back slightly for a 75mm lens.

And since you say you like to use a 90mm what is wrong with the 99.75mm crop FL of the 75mm lens. Like I said just move back maybe 1-1.5 feet and there goes that other 9.75mm.

Post like this tell me one thing. These people that come up with all kinds of excuses for NOT buying a M8 are just kidding themselves. More then likely whatever the M8 would of, could of, been from the start these same people would of found something wrong with it and not bought one. And they would sight those perceived flaws here on this forum.

I have a real problem with the current crop factors for photographing people....I really need a perfect FF 75mm and 90mm for placing human subjects correctly within an environment or studio set. Right now, I can only get about 67mm and around 100mm with the current 1.33 crop factor. 67mm is just a bit too wide and 100mm is way too long. The most important focal lengths for my type of work are not unavailable with the current crop factor and it is a major reason that I haven't invested into an M system yet.

You're worried about 10%?

If this is a real problem for your work than your work is a real problem for you. Free your mind.

Regards

Steve

If this is a real problem for your work than your work is a real problem for you. Free your mind.

Regards

Steve

That can have disadvantages. I freed my mind one day, and I haven't been able to find it since!

I know it is not the most popular opinion here, but I am with the Villain. I also find that my 75 Lux is too long, and I don't own any other lens which can truly replace it in that range. The 50 Noctilux comes close, but is too short, and anyway I don't own one. The 50 Lux ASPH is an awesome lens, and my favorite, but not really long enough for my portraits, and I miss having it be a 50. I am also counting the days until the FF M9.

I can get by, of course, and I still get great shots with the equipment I have. It doesn't slow me down at all. But I do long for the world to be right again.

That can have disadvantages. I freed my mind one day, and I haven't been able to find it since!

If it doesn't come back, it wasn't yours in the first place.

If it doesn't come back, it wasn't yours in the first place.

Oh no! Does this mean that I am a figment of somebody else's imagination?

Really that is just not the case. It may be the case for you at the distances you are use to working at but that doesn't mean you can't get the same shot with the M8 crop factor. Just move in slightly with a 50mm lens or back slightly for a 75mm lens.

And since you say you like to use a 90mm what is wrong with the 99.75mm crop FL of the 75mm lens. Like I said just move back maybe 1-1.5 feet and there goes that other 9.75mm.

Post like this tell me one thing. These people that come up with all kinds of excuses for NOT buying a M8 are just kidding themselves. More then likely whatever the M8 would of, could of, been from the start these same people would of found something wrong with it and not bought one. And they would sight those perceived flaws here on this forum.

I don't crop into images...That's for amateurs and graphic designers.

I get it right in-camera

Regards

Steve

Leica is obviously aware of these differences and that's why they offer a 75mm and 90mm in the first place.

As far as I know, there is no M9 and no one outside of Leica knows for sure if there will be one.

While I'd prefer a full-frame digital M the camera as it is now is very usable. I find the crop factor more of an issue for wide lenses, I'd LOVE for my 28 'Cron to be a 28 again. And there is no real alternative for the M8, though I work just fine with my 24 Elmarit and I'm very happy with the system. Happy enough that I'm selling most of my Nikon gear.

For longer lenses, the crop factor is less of an issue for me, but of course that's a matter of personal preference. I use the 50 'lux pre-asph, which does seem similar in character to me to a 75 'lux on film.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing that Leica's 50MM lenses were actually closer to 52mm. If that's correct, then you'd have a 69mm on the M8 and that's pretty darn close to a 75.

I'd advise one of two choices. First, buy an M8, which is a much better value than the M8.2 in my opinion. You can get a great deal on a demo with warranty. Get one lens to start to make sure you like rangefinders, then move on from there. The money you save can be spent on faster lenses.

Or, get a secondhand M6 and a lens or two to give rangefinders a try, then add an M8 later on. You could always get your money back for the M6 if you decide to go all digital.

If you only print 11x14 the M8 is MORE than capable. My standard prints are 12x18 and they look amazing.

I had an M8 for nearly two years, loved a lot about it, the crop was not as bad as Canon's 1.6 or Nikon's 1.5, but it still ate into lens character more than I would have liked. I eventually got used to the 28 Summicron as the replacement for the 35, but it still lacked the great peripherial character that my 35 Lux has on my M6 when shot near or at wide open. Leica lenses are sharp wide open, but they still spill that wonderful change of bokeh into the corners and any time I spent time editing M8 / 28 Cron shots and then looked at a nice Kodachrome shot with the 35, I really saw a big difference in the way the lenses draw.

Despite what you may think, it really is OK for other photographers to want to pass on the M8 and wait until a full frame M appears and post about it here. And it would be nice if you respected the needs of others instead of constantly trying to apply your logic to our logic.

This is a forum for Leica users, I am one and I am a potential customer of Leica digital products, especially after I am done with the Kodachrome Project. If I or others can not come here and discuss what we want in a forum that Leica truly does read without catching flak from other members, then we are not going to come here as much and then it becomes your little M8 club. I don't think that is a good thing...

Not all photographers think, shoot and want the same things as you do. If you can't accept the fact that some members have opinions and needs that are different than yours, then I think you have much bigger problems than defending what works for *you* about the M8.

It might be high time that some of you open *Your* minds to what others want instead of telling us to open our minds to your way of thinking.....with all due respect, of course....:-)

Edited by KM-25