First Noctilux f0.95 in Norway - sample images

Arne Helme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all!

Earlier today I was fortunate enough to pick up the first Noctilux f0.95 to be deliverd in Norway. Attached are two sample photos that I made using the Noct wide open on my M8.2. The uploaded images do not by far show the potential of the lens but they hint at what you can expect. Luckily, the lens I got seems to be a perfect match to my M8.2 - focus is spot on. I am now much poorer but extremely happy and pleased with the results :-).

The handling of the lens is excellent. The focus ring on my lens is smooth but firm. I agree with others that the lens balances quite well on the M8.

More photos to follow - now I am on my way out to enjoy using this marvel of a lens!

Regards,

-- Arne

Zenfolio | Arne Helme Photography

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arne

Congratulations.

I love ultra short DOF and use my Lux 50 asph almost only at 1.4.

Go out, shoot, enjoy and show us your pics!

BTW I am a member of EY (law firm) France.

All the best,

Jean-Luc

The top one is the first new Noctilux picture I've seen that achieves serious wide-open sharpness. Other samples that have been posted suggested it's a great bokeh generator, but too hard to focus.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. IMO it's a rather grand mistake: how many photographers want their fastest lens to have 67mm (equiv) focal length?

Kirk

Thanks for posting, Arne. So sharpness is achievable after all...

Although it's hard to judge on a screen, to my eyes the character is that of the Lux 50 - a great and flawless lens, but I can't help thinking that a bit of that Nocti "magic" is lost. Then again, if Leica had come out with a "flawed" new Nocti, particularly at this price point, they would have been crucified...;)

Well, I guess I'll keep my Lux and my "old" Nocti. Also interested in seeing real-life images taken with the upcoming CV 50/1.1...

I'm glad you're enjoying it. IMO it's a rather grand mistake: how many photographers want their fastest lens to have 67mm (equiv) focal length?

I tend to agree with you. I find the 50mm focal length is not ideal on the M8, neither fish nor fowl.

Hopefully, in the future, we'll have a FF camera which will restore the usefulness of the 50mm focal length. Either that, or we need a 35mm Noctilux...

Thanks for posting, Arne. So sharpness is achievable after all...

Although it's hard to judge on a screen, to my eyes the character is that of the Lux 50 - a great and flawless lens, but I can't help thinking that a bit of that Nocti "magic" is lost. Then again, if Leica had come out with a "flawed" new Nocti, particularly at this price point, they would have been crucified...;)

Well, I guess I'll keep my Lux and my "old" Nocti. Also interested in seeing real-life images taken with the upcoming CV 50/1.1...

Sorry but these shots don't seem very sharp to my eye - and thats a good thing!

The shots have a similar look to my zeiss 50 1.5 - but faster. I love this lens for portraits. It looks like the new Noctilux will be great for portraiture as well.

Sorry but these shots don't seem very sharp to my eye - and thats a good thing!

The shots have a similar look to my zeiss 50 1.5 - but faster. I love this lens for portraits. It looks like the new Noctilux will be great for portraiture as well.

Hi!

For some reason the photos that I uploaded appear different in sharpness on the forum than the original versions I have on my computer. Therefore I have uploaded a set to my web site. You may view them here: Zenfolio | Arne Helme Photography | Noctilux f0.95

-- Arne

Hi!

For some reason the photos that I uploaded appear different in sharpness on the forum than the original versions I have on my computer. Therefore I have uploaded a set to my web site. You may view them here: Zenfolio | Arne Helme Photography | Noctilux f0.95

-- Arne

If you submit them to the forum too big, they're resized to fit. And it usually looks like that.

But that's about the only thing one can say. I envy you that lens and all the fun you are having with it :rolleyes:

Nor me, and I'm told that anyone ordering now has no hope of a lens before Christmas.

If Leica turn in a dismal set of figures for year-ending 31/03/2009, my question is simple. Why don't you sort out your manufacturing to fill those back orders?

The top one is the first new Noctilux picture I've seen that achieves serious wide-open sharpness.

Yes, particularly on the camera strap. Assuming that the OP tried to focus on the exe closest to the viewer this looks like a neat example of front focus.