ISO 100 B&W film recommendations

icemendicant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using ISO 400 B&W film almost exclusively, in particular Kodak BW400CN and Tri-X - both of these rated at ISO 320 in the camera. I love the results I get from these but would like to try some really fine grained film. Most of my pictures are portraits or monochrome landscapes.

I'd be interested to hear of your favourite ISO 100 B&W films and why they are so good.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I like those flat crystal films quite a lot, e.g. the Ilford Delta 100, the Kodak T-Max 100 or the Fuji Acros. They produce very fine corn. Actually I would rate the appearance as equalling a cubis 50 ASA film.

Cheers,

Conrad

Hi Dan - I'm also a fan of the TMax 100. I shoot it at 50 then increase development by about 20%. It produces a nice range of tones. I've also used it for timed exposures after dark and after adjusting for reciprocity, has a shorter exposure time than using TMax 400. I like using Microdol X developer when this film is shot in this manner as it seems to hold more highlight detail. I find that any of the Kodak films produce a nicer image (in my opinion) when shot at 1/2 the rated asa as opposed to what it says on the box.

I hope icemendicant doesn't mind me piggy-backing his post, but I'm in a very similar position. I've habitually used XP2, but fancy a slower, conventional b/w film.

Are there any that are particulary good for scanning?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I have just ordered a pack of Acros 100 and Ilford Pan F to play with over the next couple of months. I also found some APX 100 quite cheap on eBay so that little lot will keep me out of mischief over the winter :-)

All the best,

Dan

Acros 100. Finest grain in the iso 100 films. No reciproke corrections till over 2 minutes for this modern film, based on Fuji Sigma technology.

If you want finer grain you have to go for iso 25 films: Efke 25 or the Rollei PAN25. Are doing both fine in a pyrocatechin developer like Tetenal Blau/Blue or AM50 (Amaloco).

Fotohuis RoVo's Gallery - Rollei PAN25 35mm

APX100 for subject detail in both blacks and whites in the same frame. Dont trust printed development times particularly if scanning, when negative curl begins to become an issue, and because scanners dont have the same grunt, or work the same way as an enlarger.

Nice stuff. Versatile, use it in the near dark, or blinding mid day sun.

Usually I Rodinal or ID11, nothing special there.

Regards.

For scanning APX100 (EI100) with my KM5400II (using VueScan) I use Xtol 1+1 for 9min 45 sec at 20C, agitate for the first 45 in a 4-in-10-seconds rhythm, then 10 seconds every minute. Hardly any adjustments neccesary, ursually just minor curves to bring out a little more contrast.

Works for me.

- Carl