I'm sorry everybody, but I still need help !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you know the aperture you set it and you turn the speed ring with help of the arrows.

Ah, thanks, for some reason I thought it was more complex.

Then set the focus, framing and shoot.

What could be easier.;)

By the way, I am reading a book on exposure right now.

Thanks

Dennis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Errr.. No

Shut down auto-Iso

Set shutter speed on dial

Set aperture on the lens

Twiddle until the arrows extinguish in the viewfinder (arrows indicate the rotation of the dial and ring)

Red dot appears in the viewfinder.

Exposure is set

Note:

Arrow lights with the red dot - exposure is compensated by 1/2 stop

Arrow lights red dot extinguishes - exposure is compensated by 1 stop (or more as you turn further)

Dennis...to help with your confusion, one additional step to above is to set dial to "M" for manual. In your earlier thread, you talked about setting to "A" (aperture priority). Just becaus you know aperture, don't touch that M setting, just set the aperture on the lens. Then you can look at the red dots, etc.

Jeff

Ah, thanks, for some reason I thought it was more complex.

Then set the focus, framing and shoot.

What could be easier.;)

Thanks

Dennis

You got it :):):)

I must still be asleep (time zone here):(...meant to say shutter speed. My point was to get him off setting to A.

Jeff

I think I understand. Now, for a lot of practice.

I've learned more from this brief conversation than you can imagine.

Is this worth a faq or sticky

'Guide for beginners'

Thanks everyone.

Just as gesture of my success with this new technique, here is a picture I took this morning (not a special one but it demonstrates the point).

160, f6, 1/250th 24mm Emarit ASPH

Using auto everything I am pretty sure this would have been a problem first off, and this was my first attempt (really).

I have not made any adjustments in PS apart from resizing.

Just a thought - the starburst of the suns refection on the car trim and the purple halo - is this a result of a lens problem?

Best

Guy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

{snipped}Just a thought - the starburst of the suns refection on the car trim and the purple halo - is this a result of a lens problem?

Guy--yes, but all lenses / optical systems have this problem--it's called flare. You're shooting into the sun :) Also, the chrome reflects the sun at the same intensity as the sun itself, more or less. So the starburst pattern is affected by the aperture blades in your lens.

If you want to try to minimize flare when shooting into backlight, shade the lens with your hand. Even with a lens hood stray direct sun will give you artifacts. And as long as you're shooting something like the chrome reflecting direct sun, you will mostly get a burned-out highlight with some lens artifact as well.

BTW--many many Leica lenses respond much better to flare conditions than other brands, however, some of the older designs are especially prone to flare. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though... you can use if for effect if you're good (or lucky, or both).

hello jaapv again!

Actually I used C1 4.8 trial to convert this one - is there something I have missed ?

I have tried and tried C1, all version since the M8 came out, and just do not like it.

On some images it looks OK, even better then ACR, but in final print I like the results I get from ACR better.

I have one M8 DNG file that the newest version of C1 doesn't see it is from a M8 and when I apply the M8 profile the colors are all screwed up. Now this was a older image when using firmware 1.201 but other images from that same day are OK. In ACR all images are seen as M8 DNG's.

One man's favourite tool may be rubbish in the hands of somebody else. I have the same effect with Lightroom. I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work for me.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis--that's the right move! It took really reading about it in several texts specifically about exposure for me to really understand it. It seems so straightforward--and it is, once really understood. Nevermind that. Reading = Good Idea.

Thanks!

Will

Dennis--that's the right move! It took really reading about it in several texts specifically about exposure for me to really understand it. It seems so straightforward--and it is, once really understood. Nevermind that. Reading = Good Idea.

Thanks!

Will

The current book is "The better guide to exposure" by Sean Arbabi

I also picked up

Digital Photography MasterClass - Tom Ang

Kodak Guide to 35mm photography -

The photographers manual - John Freeman

Photography - a practical guide - Alisa McWhinnie, Phillip Andrews

Thanks

Dennis