I'm sorry everybody, but I still need help !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes - and I'll amend. With fast lenses wide open: expose-focus-frame-shoot. You need to keep the time that you can move your head inadvertently thus upsetting the focus as short as possible.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes - lock the exposure on the area that you want to take the exposure from, then reframe. You will need to keep the shutter button half depressed in order to lock the exposure.

Only on A, Andy..;)

jaapv - we are having the classic John Cleese just missing conversation!

Are these correct statements?

1. Using manual there is no point in locking the exposure and then reframing as as a function it does not work, i.e. the exposure is not locked. (IN MANUAL).

2. The advisory arrows, which indeed do change when you reframe, should be ignored or acted upon by changing the aperture.

3. If you ignore them the subject you metered on in the first place will correctly exposed, but other areas may not be.

4. If you react to them the subject you metered on may be over or under exposed, but the rest of the picture as a whole will be okay.

Thanks !

Guy

The exposure IS locked in manual, because you have locked it yourself. YOU are telling the camera what to do, and it will do what you tell it to.

If you manually set the exposure for 1/1000 at f16, it matters not to the camera whether you are in a coal mine or on top of Mont Blanc. The exposure will be the same - but, in my example, probably incorrect in both locations :)

I find that Auto-ISO and A is only a problem with wide angle lenses and I am guessing it is because the sky or light coloured ceiling influences the exposure disproportionately. Auto-ISO and A works brilliantly with the MATE. OK from time to time, you will see a shutter speed in the VF and think "that can't be right" or you see it is too dark if you chimp (always remembering to take your dark sunglasses off). It is nearly always an underexposure, so generally I will point the camera at a darker bit of the scene or people I am taking, lock the exposure and re-frame. I find a Mini-Softie helps this process enormously. Mind you underexposing on the M8 never seems a big problem, as there is always so much detail you can pull out of the shadows.

Auto-ISO, A and the WATE seems not to work perfectly but on the other hand who wants to go back to carrying around a spot meter with them. A and fixed ISO seems OK. I have a Polaris spot meter and it is gathering dust in a drawer 99%+ of the time. I am however enjoying using a Voigtlander VC11 on my M4. I might put the VC11 on my M8 for a while and see how the exposures compare.

Wilson

But for the sake of clarity, let's just call auto-ISO another auto mode entirely. It's not manual, even if you're set to M :) It's useful for holding a shutter and aperture combo in very dramatically changing light, but otherwise it actually hinders your ability to tweak quickly.

Let me see if I understand how to do this.

Set ev to 0.

Set Aperture on the dial

set the aperture on the lens

Find the spot you want to expose for

note the shutter speed in the view finder

set this shutter speed on the dial

find the spot you want to focus set to and set the focus

find the framing you want

press the shutter key

Is an alternative when you find the exposure spot to hold the shutter key half way - is this what is meant by locking the exposure?

Thanks

Dennis

Let me see if I understand how to do this.

Set ev to 0.

Set Aperture on the dial

set the aperture on the lens

Find the spot you want to expose for

note the shutter speed in the view finder

set this shutter speed on the dial

find the spot you want to focus set to and set the focus

find the framing you want

press the shutter key

Is an alternative when you find the exposure spot to hold the shutter key half way - is this what is meant by locking the exposure?

Thanks

Dennis

Errr.. No

Shut down auto-Iso

Set shutter speed on dial

Set aperture on the lens

Twiddle until the arrows extinguish in the viewfinder (arrows indicate the rotation of the dial and ring)

Red dot appears in the viewfinder.

Exposure is set

Note:

Arrow lights with the red dot - exposure is compensated by 1/2 stop

Arrow lights red dot extinguishes - exposure is compensated by 1 stop (or more as you turn further)

Ever used a spot meter? It's an interesting experience. Find the lightest and darkest parts of the 'scene'. Determine how many stops are in between. If this 'range' is outside what the camera sensor is capable of recording you need to decide what's more important - highlight or shadow detail. Or of course take several exposures and combine them.

I found spot metering, especially multi-spot very useful in understanding how this exposure business works.

Thanks Jaap, but I'm a little confused. If I already know the aperture I want to set then all I want to do I adjust the shutter speed correct.

I thought I could find the spot I want to adjust exposure for and look at the speed in the view finder. How does this differ from using the arrows and red dots? Wouldn't they be the same?

Thanks

Dennis

If you know the aperture you set it and you turn the speed ring with help of the arrows. Fast and simple and you see and feel (count the clicks!) exactly where and how much.

If you go about it like you suggest you have to take the camera from your eye, fiddle around and generally lose the shot. It is better if you want to stay in A to lock the exposure with a half-press. But then you cannout compensate except through the menu, and you have very little control. Basically the M8 is clearly conceived for full manual like the M6, and the A is added as a concession to the market. It is about as useful as the S mode.....

Edited by jaapv