elmar m 2.8/50 and m8

vla

In answer to your question: Yes and you may want to look at my album 'Sweet Little Elmar 50'. It is fast becoming my favourite lens on my M8. I have collapsed the lens but I wouldn't recommend it and there is some evidence that you shouldn't rotate the lens when collapsed as it may at the very least scratch the inner suface of the mount area (not the sensor or blades). Personally, I always extend and lock before I place it on the camera.

LouisB

mark - thanks! actually, i just realized i should have read the current lfi more carefully. in there's an article about a british wedding photographer - brett - telling about his experience with this particular lens on the m8. he too clearly states that the lens can be used without problems and that collapsing it is not a problem.

markus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a picture of a Super Angulon 4.0 from 1959 and a 50mm Elmar from 1960. Both at infinity and both collapsed. There is no warning for the S.A. in the m8 manual, it can be used with an M8, allthough it doesn't meter the light correctly. And I did use it, untill I got the 21mm elmarit.

I wasn't sure whether I could use my Elmar collapsed on my M8, but putting them next to each other proves that it is possible. The difference between the collapsed bit of the two lenses is somewhat more than one millimeter.

Still don't know whether this is also the case for all other Elmars, but certainly for this one. Also, the rear end of both lenses diameter is exactly the same, at least to the eye.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Markus, just look at this and stop worrying about collapsing this marvelous lens.

Ian Bogost - Safe to Collapse

Enrico

Great reference. I re-acquired the 1995 version with the six bit coding because I liked this lens so much. Just got back from holiday having used the lens extensively. Did not collapse it though! Whether or not you buy it for its dimensions, the IQ from this lens is superb.

LouisB

mark - thanks! actually, i just realized i should have read the current lfi more carefully. in there's an article about a british wedding photographer - brett - telling about his experience with this particular lens on the m8. he too clearly states that the lens can be used without problems and that collapsing it is not a problem.

markus

Just to clarify, I use the last version Elmar-M without any problems, but Leica UK will not recommend it. Cheers

Just to clarify, I use the last version Elmar-M without any problems, but Leica UK will not recommend it. Cheers

Until your article in LFI I was a bit wary of admitting that my 50/2.8 is fast becoming my walk around lens. I don't know why but it just works.

LouisB

guys,

many thanks for your inputs, this is extremely helpful. i'm not sure whether i'll ever be able to shoot something comparable to brett's wedding photographs, but as for the elmar-m - you convinced me - i need to get that beauty sometime soon ...

markus

btw - since i have not attended weddings for some time and do not yet own a 50mm lens, here's a 75mm weekend shoot ... :)

Until your article in LFI I was a bit wary of admitting that my 50/2.8 is fast becoming my walk around lens. I don't know why but it just works.

LouisB

It's the best way to make your M8 pocketable, and you can walk around with it all day... no need for a strap or a grip. I think someone else said it's also very satisfying to prepare your lens for action.:)

Rob 139 seems to own the only collapsible Super angulon I have ever heard of. But his point is nevertheless correct: even the first version Elmar 1:2.8/50mm (which I own and use occasionally) can be collapsed on the M8. In order to avoid scratching the innards of the M, I always mount and remove it extended, however.

The old man from the Collapsible Age

Looks like that lens is comming into fashon.

Thanks Brett and LFI. ;)

It`s a marvelous lens and can be collapsed on the M8.

Regards

Jens

Rob 139 seems to own the only collapsible Super angulon I have ever heard of.

:D Lars, You are right, thank you for pointing that out. I do not own the only collapsible Super Angulon, in fact it probably doesn't exist. :)

Rob