Printer/Paper options for M8 images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The votes are evidently swinging in favour of the 3800. In case UK readers have not discovered this, with an R2880, Epson is offering £100 cashback on purchases made before 14 June. It's interesting to find infrequent users here not getting the clogging problem with the A2 machine.

Eric Chan's Epson printing guide mentioned in this thread does suggest setting a 2.2 Gamma and 100cd/m2 target luminance especially for LCD screens.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More great suggestions and I appreciate the encouragement.

I'm going to have fun experimenting with the different papers, too.

Hopefully I can get this baby up and running quickly with minimal snafus so I can report back soon.

Regards again- Hal

Another printer info link: Printerville

I purchased an Epson R2880. Prints are beautiful but ink tanks are small. As mentioned, with 3800 you basically get over $1,000 worth of ink when you buy the printer!

I am not in this league but wonder whether you have investigated constant ink flow systems. I have seem them being demonstrated and many users swear by them both on grounds of economy and constancy of performance.

I am not in this league but wonder whether you have investigated constant ink flow systems. I have seem them being demonstrated and many users swear by them both on grounds of economy and constancy of performance.

David,

One of the things that puts me off continuous ink flow systems (other than the initial price which is pretty heavy e.g R2880 + continuous flow system almost equals 3800) is that the use of these systems invalidates both the original warranty and any extended one.

Wilson

One factor with the 3880 would be the economics of 80ml cartridges versus their six-month life (from breaking seal and starting to use). In the UK a replacement set costs around £400, a not inconsiderable sum. You'd need to calculate how many prints you really would make per six-month period and whether that running cost is really better value than provided with the minuscule r2880 printer K3s at £99 per set. The latter machine though limits you to A3 size whereas the 3880 is A2 capable.

The life of these cartridges is a lot longer than the stated life of 6 months. My B9810 is often telling me the cartridges are too old but they still work fine. As the HP and the Epson are static cartridges with feed pipes to the print heads, as opposed to the Canon PP9500, where the cartridges are on the moving print head, it pays to take all the carts out from time to time and given them a gentle shake. It is best to do this outside or a divorce may ensue when you get indelible black ink spots on the best persian rug. I used to have a small device that you plugged Epson cartridges into to tell them that they were not empty when they still had 30% ink left. There may a similar device to redate the 3800 carts.

Wilson