Anyone using Fomapan?

Neil Purling

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have not used the Fomapan 200 I tend not to shoot the in-between speeds. The Fomapan 100 gives nice results in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 16mins semi stand but a bit grainy certainly I found more than FP4+ in the same developer:

This is the Fomopan 100 in that developer. Preston UK

22762778844_e93c7b17b3_c.jpg

This in XTOL stock 8mins Lancaster UK

18609387955_2379349e78_c.jpg

Sorry I have no 200, lots of FP4+ though : :)

Not sure why you want to compare different speed films though, the 100 I would say is competitive with the FP4+ but I shoot Ilford to support the factory just one hour from me, carbon footprint you know  ;)

Just for comparison as you mentioned D76 this is FP4+ in divided (modified see Anchell & Troop) D76 5mins A and 5mins B Gullfoss Iceland where the grain is comparable to the Fomopan, detail is going to be somewhat lens dependant.

15148836668_1098609325_c.jpg

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Im tagging onto a relatively old thread rather than raise another.

I've been looking at night-time photos taken with Fomapan 400 showing halos around light sources - I like the effect.

I have some questions before ordering, if someone would be kind enough to answer:

1) Does Foma 400 have a reduced anti-halation layer compared to HP5 ot Tri-X, or is the layer omitted altogether on Foma 400?

2) Is 400 ISO box speed correct for standard development? I've read somewhere that it's more like 200.

3) Again I think I've read somewhere that Foma is easy to scratch, even after fixing and drying. Is this a concern?

Thanks, Steve