Replace the Red Dot with a Black One?

hrahman9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure how the folks at Leica do it but if you do a search here you'll find numerous posts about how to remove the dot in a non-destructive manner.

Thanks ;-)

I did it yesterday.

I used 2 soft plastic repair spatulas, I stocked for laptop repairs.

I used these items already several times, when dealing with scratch sensitive camera repairs (regular EPSON R-D1 rangefinder settings, I do now blindfolded :)).

Removing the Leica dot really is easy, but I don't like, how Leica implemented this - it is really a nuissance to remove.

I placed the capped camera body on a clean, soft working pad (old T-shirt works swell).

I fixed the camera with both my hands, while sticking the two sharp tips of the spatula at the Leica "L" and between the "e" and the "L" on opposite places and twisted the dot with an ever increasing angle of twist.

Somewhen, the dot will come out of its position and you can carefully lift it with a scalpel.

The red dots are easier. I removed the black dot from a M8.2 - this is painted!

So be careful, not to damage the black paint on it's edges!

I did the vertical rangefinder adjustment with a hand crafted tool, similar to one of the here described "modified screwdrivers".

It is now spot on - great!

Too bad, that I did find out, that my 50 Lux actually has a focus issue, as all other lenses are really sharp at all distances, I tested.

I guess, I will give the body and Lux in for a proper setting sooner or later :(