Noctilux F1.0 vs F0.95

Daniel Leung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I got the Noctilux F1.0 brand new when I was travelling in HK in February with a high price. I am happy with this lens. My US dealer just told me that he can get me the latest F1.0 next Monday. I am excited to see it but I am thinking is it worthed it to trade in my current F1.0 for the F0.95 I can afford to keep both of them financially but it is kind of silly to do this,

or should I just keep the F1.0 and forget about the F0.95

Please let me know your thoughts

DL

Hi,

I got the Noctilux F1.0 brand new when I was travelling in HK in February with a high price. I am happy with this lens. My US dealer just told me that he can get me the latest F1.0 next Monday. I am excited to see it but I am thinking is it worthed it to trade in my current F1.0 for the F0.95 I can afford to keep both of them financially but it is kind of silly to do this,

or should I just keep the F1.0 and forget about the F0.95

Please let me know your thoughts

DL

I meant my US deal told me he can get me the latest F0.95 next Monday. sorry for confusion

DL

I personally think you'd be better served by keeping the f1.0 Nocti (if it's adjusted properly for the M8, like mine is, it's quite sharp even wide open) and buy a Summilux 50 ASPH for the times you don't want a vignette and want edge-to-edge sharpness with high contrast. It's an awesome lens.

I have both of those, and so see no real need for a new Nocti. I guess if I didn't have the 1.0, and didn't have the 50 ASPH, and money was no object, then I'd consider the .95, of course.

But the Nocti I have is so good with my M8 right now I wouldn't trade it--that's for sure :)

I personally think you'd be better served by keeping the f1.0 Nocti (if it's adjusted properly for the M8, like mine is, it's quite sharp even wide open) and buy a Summilux 50 ASPH for the times you don't want a vignette and want edge-to-edge sharpness with high contrast. It's an awesome lens.

I have both of those, and so see no real need for a new Nocti. I guess if I didn't have the 1.0, and didn't have the 50 ASPH, and money was no object, then I'd consider the .95, of course.

But the Nocti I have is so good with my M8 right now I wouldn't trade it--that's for sure :)

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your opinion, but I also have the 50 asph F1.4. it is a great lens too. by the way, I love your pictures!!

DL

Guest darkstar2004

If it were me, I think I'd keep the f/1.0 and pass on the the f/0.95 ASPH.

Sure, they can get you one - but you are going to lose your shirt on trade-in value (as always) - and you are going to have to fork over thousands on top of that.

JMHO...

Like Jamie, I have the f1.0 pre-ASPH Noctilux and the f1.4 ASPH Summilux. While I'm curious about the new Noctilux I don't have any real interest in acquiring one. From the pictures I've seen so far the new Noctilux looks like a faster 50mm ASPH Summilux, at least to my eye.

You're happy with your current f1.0 Noctilux. To settle things in your own mind you might want to look at the pictures you like best from it, then try to borrow and use the new one in the same or very similar circumstances and compare the rendering of both lenses.

Personally I haven't seen any pictures from the new version of the lens that are persuasive. Yet. :)

Like Jamie, I have the f1.0 pre-ASPH Noctilux and the f1.4 ASPH Summilux. While I'm curious about the new Noctilux I don't have any real interest in acquiring one. From the pictures I've seen so far the new Noctilux looks like a faster 50mm ASPH Summilux, at least to my eye.

You're happy with your current f1.0 Noctilux. To settle things in your own mind you might want to look at the pictures you like best from it, then try to borrow and use the new one in the same or very similar circumstances and compare the rendering of both lenses.

Personally I haven't seen any pictures from the new version of the lens that are persuasive. Yet. :)

thanks for all the input, I am going to check out the F0.95 Monday and go from there

DL

I keep lusting after the new Noctilux Asph., but then I'll probably want a dedicated body for it too. :eek:

JBA, when you say you want a dedicated body, are you insinuating that the f0.95 has to be specifically calibrated to a body or do you simply want a dedicated body :)?

Sorry to derail this a little too. 50mm Summilux ASPH vs Noctilux f0.95... which one which you guys go for? If it had to be one or the other.:confused:

Thanks.

I own the 50mm F1.4 and this is a great lens and cost around US$4,000- ( can't remembver the exact figrue ) and the F0.95 is US$9,995-

DL

Hmm... I like the f1.0...

And I also like the f0.95...

How to decide which is best...?

I know...

FIIIGHT!!!! :D

This thread reminds me of playing "Top Trumps" in the playground when I were a lad... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

JBA, when you say you want a dedicated body, are you insinuating that the f0.95 has to be specifically calibrated to a body or do you simply want a dedicated body :)?

I shoot film exclusively, so it wouldn't be necessary to calibrate any lens to a specific body. I just think it's a lens I'd use so much that I'd want it mounted on one body or other all the time the way I always seem to have a 50 Summilux mounted.