how did you sent your M8+Noctilux for adjustment ?

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

Stupid question it might be, but how did you sent your M8+Noctilux ( the "old" 1.0 ) for adjustment to Solms ?

Who did you contact ?

I sent an email about M8 upgrades, which was promptly answered but I sent another one for the M8 and Nocti adjustment and still waiting for an answer.

Few questions for those who did it :

- Im planning to do it now, BEFORE the upgrade, and then send the M8 later on for the upgrading. Just need my 1500 euros of the upgrade somewhereelse now. How much does the adjustment cost alone ?

- Do you have to re-adjust the camera and lens if you upgrade the M8 with shutter and framelines ? Ie, send everything again ?

- What was your turnaround time ?

A direct contact in Leica would be helpfull and some tips as well

ps : I dont have my Noctilux as of yet, left ffords today so in a day or so should be here. I guess its going to need the adjustment ( from what I've read, they all benefit from it ) so Im planning in advance.

ps2 : cant wait for the leica-white-unicorn-of-a-lens to arrive :)

I did not upgrade the shutter on my m8. I wanted the faster, louder shutter because I like to use the Nocti and other fast lenses wide open. I sent my Nocti in to have it adjusted for rear focus at the same time. The work was done separately but they both came back at about the same time. The rear focus is much improved.

I had a 5 year-old Noctilux which was just fine with my M6, but was almost useless with the M8 due to back focusing. Knowing that they change the flange of the lens when you send it in for having it 6-bit coded, I also knew they would have to check and adjust the focus in the process.

So I simply sent in the old Nocti for 6-bit coding. When it came back - the focus was adjusted and now it is purr-fect with the M8.

Not sure how old your Noctilux is but when I received my new from factory 1.0 Noctilux last year it did not need any adjustment whatsoever.

The annoying thing is that I also had a new Noctilux from the factory and it was out by a mile on my M8. It wasn't the camera itself because all of my other lenses were fine on both of my M8s. In my case DAG was able to calibrate the lens on it's own without having to match it to my camera. I realize that the tolerances for f1.0 are different to other less critical lenses but this wasn't a subtle/fine issue - it was like Mr Magoo setup the lens but didn't use his glasses (OK, I exagerate but it was THAT obviously wrong).

The moral of the story seems to be that some folks get well adjusted lenses from the factory but some others apparently didn't. That's somewhat strange when you see the level of care that appears to be applied to the quality of the lenses from the Leica factory and it doesn't seem to be a reflection of anal customers vs less anal customers either. Therein lies the mystery to me ... :eek:

Suggest you wait for your Nocti and check focus before you bother planning for any adjustment.

Also, are you sure you want the "upgraded" 1/4000sec shutter when you use a Nocti? The slower shutter was the reason I decided against the upgrade.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you bought it from ffordes, it is highly unlikely the lens will need adjusting; they check all secondhand gear thoroughly. In case it should be slightly out after all, ffordes will undoubtedly handle it for you under guarantee.